not so new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
TRW

Name: Terry
Trailer: Suntrek Vista
Ontario
not so new member

I joined 2 or 3 years ago, and then got sidetracked and dropped out of sight. My apologies, and I'll try to be more diligent this time.

We have a 30 foot one piece fg Vista which we bought new in 1999. Our current tow vehicle is a 2008 diesel (Mercedes Benz) Grand Cherokee and love it. We've also used a 1995 Chev Lumina minivan and a 2001 Honda Odyssey, both rated for 3500 lb but set up for our 5500 lb trailer. That breaks all the rules, except that we used CanAm RV in southwestern Ontario to professionally set them up with anti-sway bars, torsion bars and a transmission cooler to handle the job. They are very experienced in this and we had no problems over the years. My previous towing experience had been with two different Trilliums and many outboard motor boat trailers.

If anyone has an Award, I have a few comments about them as they are semi-related to the Vista. Looking forward to following the forums.

TRW
Port Carling Ontario
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome Back Terry,

While most has remained the same, a few things have changed in the past three years that you need to know about.

Because in the lower provinces we have modicum of respect for manufacturers specification, insurance regulations and the ever present lawyers, even suggesting towing over limit is now considered to be in poor form, as is advertising for that one shop that pedals such equipment.

Hope this doesn't create a problem for you.

Bob - Just a Member on a Mission.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Not everyone agrees with the previous post.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
TRW

Name: Terry
Trailer: Suntrek Vista
Ontario
Thanks for the heads up Bob. I don't want to create problems, so will be circumspect about towing comments. There is one thing that our dealer mentioned that I have subsequently observed - that is people installing hitches so that there is a "sag" between the tow vehicle and the trailer. His opinion was that both the vehicle and trailer should be level and in line with each other. Having a dip or sag between the two causes steering difficulty in a panic stop. We actually saw this happen on a 4 lane highway as the -vehicle swerved and the trailer tipped over as the two jack-knifed. Has anyone commented on vehicle/trailer alignment?
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thanks for understanding Terry

About Sag... That's a fairly common discussion. In general keeping the car level and allowing the trailer to be level to slightly down at the hitch seems to be the choice. I know with my Hunter that it gets a little light on the hitch if it is even the slightest nose up condition.

Is this what you mean? Here I am with my Dad in our 1951 Pontiac in the early daze of trailer RV'ing. That's with a clamp on bumper hitch and no trailer brakes. Cost us all of $98 to rent for two weeks in 1955.

Attached Thumbnails
img036.jpg  
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I had to Google the Vista Suntrek to see what it looked like. Interesting trailer. Do you have any pictures of your trailer that you could share? I'd never heard of this brand before.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bob everyone did the same back then and they helped each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Thanks for understanding Terry

About Sag... That's a fairly common discussion. In general keeping the car level and allowing the trailer to be level to slightly down at the hitch seems to be the choice. I know with my Hunter that it gets a little light on the hitch if it is even the slightest nose up condition.

Is this what you mean? Here I am with my Dad in our 1951 Pontiac in the early daze of trailer RV'ing. That's with a clamp on bumper hitch and no trailer brakes. Cost us all of $98 to rent for two weeks in 1955.
: My pop was not a Camper but our mom well that was a different story, not only did we have the trailer on the bumper but a boat on top of the car and away to Grandma's and the lakes in that area for some good trout. FUnny thing even as a 5 year old fishing I put them back so you could call me a catch and release kind of guy.
When I think about the 6Cyl flathead we had in those early Dodges pulling that weight behind over the Hope Princeton which in the late 40's and into the 60's was not much of a road boat was not Aluminium but wood and getting it up there and down and then up and head off to another lake it makes me crunch on how she did all this.
Usually another lady followed in her car with her kids and that was how we spent the summer, cooking on open campfire, (no fire regs back then) ate a lot of beans and hot dogs back then but oh so good!
I would like to see you folks drive the Hope Princeton even today with no brakes and one of those old 40's to 60's cars before better brakes came about.
Like a dummy I did drive old beaters like that for years, such as Dodges, Chevy, Ford, GMC, Dodge trucks and cars mostly flat 6's crappy single cyl. brakes and to check the brake fluid remove the floor to get at it to make sure fluid still there. Around the city those old cars and trucks were great but back in the bush not so much fun.
Seeing that old Pontiac brings back lots of memories.
When I got time most of my camping was in a tent or under the truck, or inside the cab if raining, boat on top used a totem pole which I made myself for $5 as new was just to expensive.
Only brought fish home when dad was alive as he loved his fish, when he passed mom went fishing with me, my brother was a salt water fisherman.
Lots of great fishing in BC.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote