Obsessed with FGRVs in Austin... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Karen, if you're making a day visit to Bluebonnet, no need to register. If you're staying for multiple days, then do register.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I second this idea then once the kids are too big for this solution move them to the van or tent as long as it's not too hot like here in FL. Another option would be to hold out for a Scamp 13 that has the bigger 54" bed then 3 can very comfortably sleep there (I know from experience lol) and then the older 2 kids get their own bunk. Everybody has A/C that way in hot weather.

Melissa (who has comfortably slept 5 in my Scamp 13 Dlx with the bigger bed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Have the 2 smallest kids sleep foot to head on the bottom bunk, oldest kid on the top bunk, and the 2 adults on the kitchen table/bed.
This may work for a couple years anyway.
Dave & Paula

Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
You can also get screens for the Van windows so the kids inside can get sool air in case it is hot at night. Or, you can get tents that fit over the back of a van/suv for a little more space
Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #18

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Thanks again, everyone. I've been so impressed by all the quality information that circulates in these forums!

I'm glad y'all don't think I'm completely crazy for thinking of putting five people in a 13-footer. Rather, maybe we are all crazy, but I like it.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Asheville View Post
Karen,

You may already know this, but when I first started looking I didn't realize that generally the length of trailer posted includes the tongue length. So the interior space of a 13 or 16 footer is actually a few feet smaller.

Leslie
True. On our 77 Scamp we use a 10 x 10 Pop up awning and we can place the legs beyond the corner of our camper, so that awning is past door overhang and covers part of the roof. Front wall is a little curved so in the middle it might be smidge over 10 foot in FG shell length.

If you were willing to give up the storage under the front couch. Take it out and build your own frame for a triple bunk. One just off the floor would give you about 2 1/2 feet for each of the others. Submarine bunks but it's what I did in our old school bus camper to handle 3 kids and that was about same height.

I could go out and measure mine, it's approx. 6 ft. in the middle. I think later models might be an inch or two taller.

You might make the bottom bunk hinged so you will have a tiny amount of storage still, maybe enough for shoes or something.

You will need to leave a window cracked open, 5 people pump out a lot of moisture overnight.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "If you were willing to give up the storage under the front couch."
WOW, give up storage in a 13' Scamp, I'd think that was a non-starter.
Not only that, the front wall curves into that space at the bottom.

But, if one were to do that they could name their egg: "The Sardine Machine"
Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #21

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "If you were willing to give up the storage under the front couch."
WOW, give up storage in a 13' Scamp, I'd think that was a non-starter.
Not only that, the front wall curves into that space at the bottom.

But, if one were to do that they could name their egg: "The Sardine Machine"
I considered what I store under the couch and it's nothing I need to get to fast except for the first aid kit in the middle cupboard. Nothing there I could not move to under the rear dinette seat or the car.

Accessible storage is in short supply. Heck we have been known to put the bunk up just for a shelf to put our clothes containers on. We use our camper mostly as a hard sided tent, one that we can keep loaded with equipment ready to go. Cooking and most activities are outside. We sleep inside and that is pretty much it. Camp stove and kitchen pots and other cooking supplies travel under the dinette in 3 containers on the floor.

I'll have to measure to provide a better idea of bunk dimensions. The wall curves out in the middle relative to the floor. The existing bunks are positioned in that wider center portion but for kids it may be enough room depending on size of kids. Heck I swear our kids and grandkids when they were little would sleep anyplace the cat could curl up.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In our 13' Lil' Bigfoot I installed two pull out drawers in the center and a porta potty garage, w/door on the right side of the front couch. The left side was where we stored all of our emergency spares, work clothes and a small stash of canned food. The drawers were courtesy of IKEA.

Here's some pics, the front couch detail is on page 2 of the link.
The Best 13 Ft RV On The Planet Photos by advocateone | Photobucket
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here's some pics, the front couch detail is on page 2 of the link.
The Best 13 Ft RV On The Planet Photos by advocateone | Photobucket
Very nice mod and trailer in general.

Scamp floor has a riser on the left and right, cupboard in the middle where the floor is the same level as the main floor. People have squeezed a drawer in on the right. By default side compartments only accessible through the top.

That far left compartment is where we keep some tools, bottle jack stuff like that. Sounds about the same as stuff you describe. Have to have it hope I never need to get at it. The side storage is pretty shallow. Bottle jack has to be on it's side. Could only fit port-a-pottie in the center between the risers.

Since the bottom bunk would sit on risers (in scamp) there would still be some space in the middle, could put a drawer there, or as I suggested access panel through the bottom bed. Drawer would be more practical I would think but skills to install a drawer while not extreme are greater than an access panel.

Wife thought it would work when I mentioned it, she remembers the bus bunks and thought it might work in that space in the scamp.

Apologies to the OP we have gone off in the weeds from your original question to discuss how we might modify your trailer you have yet to purchase. It is a sickness truly it is.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Kia Sedona Update:

I just got back from a Dr. appointment and noticed the Dr. was driving a Sedona and it had a class III installed. I asked him what he was towing? He said they moved from Alberta to Ontario a few years ago and he rented a large dual axle Uhaul cargo trailer. He said the Kia towed it well but he did not feel comfortable taking it over 90kph. Considering the size and weight of the trailer and the fact no WDH or sway control was being used I can understand his concern. The good news that would interest you is that the van was up to the task for the job at hand. Stability at speed could have been addressed with an appropriate setup.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
He said the Kia towed it well but he did not feel comfortable taking it over 90kph. .
For those in the USA it should be noted that 90 KPH is only 55 MPH in case you are wondering.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Karen,

Just show up at the rally in Bandera. You will be welcomed by everyone.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapers88 View Post
Thanks again, everyone. I've been so impressed by all the quality information that circulates in these forums!

I'm glad y'all don't think I'm completely crazy for thinking of putting five people in a 13-footer. Rather, maybe we are all crazy, but I like it.
Shoot, I bet we could fit 30+ clowns inside a 13', so what's 5 sleeping campers?

I took my son and two granddaughters camping in a 16' trailer. They were 7 and 6 at the time. It wasn't too bad until it came time to make the beds, and then I was wishing I could send the lot of them outside for a while (but it was raining at that point). Just something to think about.

A 16' Scamp or Casita will tow just about as easily as a 13', because it has about the same wind resistance (same width and height, or close to it). All you are adding is more weight, and that mainly will hit you only when climbing grades.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #28

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A 16' Scamp or Casita will tow just about as easily as a 13', because it has about the same wind resistance (same width and height, or close to it). All you are adding is more weight, and that mainly will hit you only when climbing grades.
That's a good point and I didn't know that. Thanks!

Quote:
Just show up at the rally in Bandera. You will be welcomed by everyone.
Thanks!
Quote:
The good news that would interest you is that the van was up to the task for the job at hand.
Oh, good. I imagine a trailer used for moving household would be much heavier than a 1200lb fiberglass egg. Thanks for asking him!

Quote:
Apologies to the OP we have gone off in the weeds from your original question to discuss how we might modify your trailer you have yet to purchase. It is a sickness truly it is.
God, I think I've got the sickness, too. And I don't even have the dang trailer yet!