Obsessed with FGRVs in Austin... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Obsessed with FGRVs in Austin...

Hi, I'm Karen. I've been obsessed with RV's and other small living spaces all my life. I'm doing all the reading I can on the fiberglass eggs and would love to buy one in the next year. I'm currently thinking about an old 13' Scamp, Burro, Boler, or the like. We are a family of five, none of us large.

Is there any chance of fitting two adults and 3 kids into a 13' trailer? I'm open to advice and info! We don't mind sleeping close and tight but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice and inspiration! If there is anyone in the Austin, TX area that would be willing to give me a tour of their 13' or 16' trailer I'd love to accept.
kapers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have five kids. Our solution was to get a travel van that has a bench in the back that folds down to a bed. The smallest of the kids sleeps on one of the seats, which we lay down. My wife and I sleep in the bed in the van, and the other four kids sleep in the trailer. Works for us.

If one of the adults is small, then the three kids could sleep across the double bed / dinette, and the adults could use the front gaucho bunk bed. The bottom bunk can hold a normal sized adult, but the top bunk is only good up to about 100lbs. Putting someone on the floor, or under the dinette, while it is a bed are all possibilities we have considered.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Donna
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Some 13' Scamps come with a dinette that makes a small double bed and a small sofa that makes 2 bunks. top bunk has a load limit ..100lb? You'd have on kid on the floor maybe
Steve n Donna M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If the kids are 11 years old or older its a good bet one or two of them would be happier sleeping in a small tent beside the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks! Those are great solutions. We could sleep two in our minivan with the back seats stowed away (in addition to three in the travel trailer). Also, it looks like (from photos) that one person could sleep on the floor of the trailer, maybe with their legs under the dinette table space. (Can anybody confirm that?) I'm thinking the floor space is probably too small for sleeping unless part of a body is tucked under that dinette. I just want to keep things as small and simple as possible so a 13' trailer would be great.

My husband weighs about 150 lbs, I'm about 125, and the kids are ages 10, 6, and 4, so I think we can squeeze into some small spaces. Thanks for mentioning the weight limit on the upper bunk- I had not read that before.

Thanks, everyone! I'm so excited to be learning all this stuff.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Two kids sleeping in the van on self-inflating mats and adults and youngest kid in the camper. Everyone is comfortable and happy to not get stepped on during the night. Or if your camper has bunkbeds in the front the youngest could probably sleep on the top bunk, six-year old on the bottom and 10-year old in the van......maybe with one parent until he/she gets use to it......or even bring a friend (of the same sex) for company.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Karen,
In 3 weeks the Bluebonnet Rally happens in Bandera, Texas. There will be 200+ fiberglass trailers attending. Most owners are happy to show their trailers. Drive over anytime between April 23 and 26 and look around.

Bluebonnet Casita Rally - Home
Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapers88 View Post
. Also, it looks like (from photos) that one person could sleep on the floor of the trailer, maybe with their legs under the dinette table space. (Can anybody confirm that?) I'm thinking the floor space is probably too small for sleeping unless part of a body is tucked under that dinette.
If you get a 16' there is more than enough room length wise in a Scamp side bath for someone to sleep on the floor probable is on the 13' as well - the later probable better for a short person. As far as putting their legs under the dinette area under the Scamp dinette goes it is raised about 5" or so from the kitchen area so that wouldn't work well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Go with a least a 16'. With 5 of you it will be roomier on those occasional rainy days.

Most Mini Vans will easily handle a 16 or larger.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A family of 5 in a 13' egg is very, very, very tight. If you consider a bigger one you also have to consider weight.

What will you be towing with, Make, Model & year, and we can provide a few guidelines as to how big a trailer you might look for.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Have the 2 smallest kids sleep foot to head on the bottom bunk, oldest kid on the top bunk, and the 2 adults on the kitchen table/bed.
This may work for a couple years anyway.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #12

Texas
Thanks, everybody. I'll be towing with a 2006 Kia Sedona EX minivan. Kia says its tow limit is 3500 lbs and that the trailer needs its own brakes for over 1000 lbs (maybe that is standard to all vehicles?). It'll be my first time towing anything so I plan to practice lots! I don't even have a trailer hitch yet.

Carol H- thanks for letting me know that the Scamp has a 5" rise under the dinette table. I was wondering about that.

Tom Trostel- thanks for the info on the Bluebonnet rally. We may head over there! Do we just show up or do I need to officially sign up somewhere?

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking about whether a 16' would suit our needs better. I love the light weight and greater portability of the 13 footers, though. Not to mention they seem easier to find.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Karen.. Your 240HP Kia van will be a good TV for a glass egg. Trailer brakes are a good idea and is a safety bonus.

We towed a 2,500+lb Coleman pop up with our smaller 150 HP Nissan Van for many years. All over North America and through the Rocky Mountains with no problems at all. Generally speaking Mini Vans are great TV's and most have the payload capacity of close to 3/4 ton, more than many 1/2 ton, full size pick ups.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #14

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Karen,

You may already know this, but when I first started looking I didn't realize that generally the length of trailer posted includes the tongue length. So the interior space of a 13 or 16 footer is actually a few feet smaller.

Good luck finding what works best for you, and Keep Austin Weird! We lived there 1999 - 2002 and loved it.

Leslie
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Karen, if you're making a day visit to Bluebonnet, no need to register. If you're staying for multiple days, then do register.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I second this idea then once the kids are too big for this solution move them to the van or tent as long as it's not too hot like here in FL. Another option would be to hold out for a Scamp 13 that has the bigger 54" bed then 3 can very comfortably sleep there (I know from experience lol) and then the older 2 kids get their own bunk. Everybody has A/C that way in hot weather.

Melissa (who has comfortably slept 5 in my Scamp 13 Dlx with the bigger bed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Have the 2 smallest kids sleep foot to head on the bottom bunk, oldest kid on the top bunk, and the 2 adults on the kitchen table/bed.
This may work for a couple years anyway.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can also get screens for the Van windows so the kids inside can get sool air in case it is hot at night. Or, you can get tents that fit over the back of a van/suv for a little more space
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #18

Texas
Thanks again, everyone. I've been so impressed by all the quality information that circulates in these forums!

I'm glad y'all don't think I'm completely crazy for thinking of putting five people in a 13-footer. Rather, maybe we are all crazy, but I like it.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Asheville View Post
Karen,

You may already know this, but when I first started looking I didn't realize that generally the length of trailer posted includes the tongue length. So the interior space of a 13 or 16 footer is actually a few feet smaller.

Leslie
True. On our 77 Scamp we use a 10 x 10 Pop up awning and we can place the legs beyond the corner of our camper, so that awning is past door overhang and covers part of the roof. Front wall is a little curved so in the middle it might be smidge over 10 foot in FG shell length.

If you were willing to give up the storage under the front couch. Take it out and build your own frame for a triple bunk. One just off the floor would give you about 2 1/2 feet for each of the others. Submarine bunks but it's what I did in our old school bus camper to handle 3 kids and that was about same height.

I could go out and measure mine, it's approx. 6 ft. in the middle. I think later models might be an inch or two taller.

You might make the bottom bunk hinged so you will have a tiny amount of storage still, maybe enough for shoes or something.

You will need to leave a window cracked open, 5 people pump out a lot of moisture overnight.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "If you were willing to give up the storage under the front couch."
WOW, give up storage in a 13' Scamp, I'd think that was a non-starter.
Not only that, the front wall curves into that space at the bottom.

But, if one were to do that they could name their egg: "The Sardine Machine"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote