Old Casita owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Old Casita owner

Hi. I'm new to the forum.
I bought a new Casita back in '86 and we loved it. Life happened and it got parked at the edge of the woods. Now we've pulled it out and want to restore it. I'll appreciate all the help from anyone who has been there, done that. Tim
1 Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tim, welcome to FiberglassRV. We have a number of members who've been there... done that. I'm sure you'll get lots of help with your questions.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, the easy part is already done, you didn't have to search for your trailer. Pittboro where?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Welcome, the easy part is already done, you didn't have to search for your trailer. Pittboro where?
North Carolina - just below Chapel Hill.
Well, yes, I have the trailer and I put new tires on it after sandblasting the wheels. But nothing works, fridge, potty, HW heater. i think it will all have to be replaced.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Well that's awesome, if that stuff doesn't work you can start from scratch and do everything the way you want it. Pittsboro, Nc. I've been there. Love NC. I was thinking Pittsboro, In.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Well that's awesome, if that stuff doesn't work you can start from scratch and do everything the way you want it. Pittsboro, Nc. I've been there. Love NC. I was thinking Pittsboro, In.
Thanx for the encouragement! The good thing is it has never leaked.
You make the idea of replacing things so positive! I was looking at it as a big negative.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Just south of Savannah on US 17 there used to be a bus that had sat there for years. A tree had grown up between the bumper and the body. I hope you didn't have that problem.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Hi Tim, and welcome!

You are in a somewhat unusual position in that although your camper hasn't been used for a while and needs some reno, you have had it since before it's "hibernation" and know where it's been and what has happened to it... most of us come to the party late with our respective project trailers.

Is the potty plumbed in, or a Port-a-pottie? If the latter, replacement with a newer generation is easy! Likewise, the refrigerators available now will probably be more efficient than those of 25 years ago. If there were no significant leaks and the floor is still solid, the rest of the story is so much easier!

I'm up North of you in Central VA, but my 83 Burro project involves replacing just about everything that isn't built in or glassed in. I'm getting ready to tackle all the wiring (12 V and 110) next. Keep us informed of your progress... it will encourage the rest of us.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #9

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
You Can Do It, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timothy View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forum.
I bought a new Casita back in '86 and we loved it. Life happened and it got parked at the edge of the woods. Now we've pulled it out and want to restore it. I'll appreciate all the help from anyone who has been there, done that. Tim

Of course, I had alot of help. I bought a 1990 16 Casita in 2009 and began to gut it and build back with dependable and sweet smelling re-fittings.

Check out 1990 Casita Redo, about mid-February 2011. It turned out to be a costly, but worthwhile project. It was accomplished by Aero Paradise, LLC. They normally rebuild aircraft interiors. I am very happy with what happened! Clean, functional and attractive.

Mona
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita