Ollie and Felix - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #21

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Does your new bug have problems pulling your camper?
Hi! I saw your post about the Ford engine- congrats on getting it in there! I haven't heard of a Pinto conversion in a while- I know they used to run articles on that and the Corvair transplant- I'll be interested to hear how it does with the trailer! I've been tempted to do the Subaru switch in the van but would need a radiator first

I haven't pulled the Scamp yet because the drawbar I used for the Puck is A- too low for the the Scamp to pull level and B- stuck in there so hard the shop almost knocked the car off the lift trying to airhammer it out. Going back in in the morning and they are going to torch it up and try that way- too rusted to get the receiver off the car without the torch too. If they have to unbolt it, it is getting POR-15'd

Anyway.. I never had any trouble pulling the Puck with the Beetle- but that was 700lbs versus the Scamp's 1200-1400. I'll be lightening the Scamp wherever possible (just seems like poor design for such a small trailer to be so heavy).
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #22

Name: Tabitha
Virginia
Ayup... we've been PB Blastering, Deep Creeping, Sledgehammer whacking, and propane torch heating it for a few days fighting with it, but it hasn't really budged. Silly shop monkeys and their empty Oxygen tanks. thank goodness the new ones have been delivered!

so, until we can actually get the trailer here and make proper templates for new cushions (it only has the ones for the front bunk) and work on other things that require its physical presence, we've been finding and ordering parts and I've been busy doing fun stuff like sewing 50 yards of piping trim and about 10 yards of zipper into fabric. wheeeeeee.

Oh yeah, I have a Beetle too, and i've had a hitch sitting around for probably 4 years but never installed. we were thinking of trying that out at least to get the trailer here, but we now realize it has fewer mounting points to the car and a flat bar receiver instead of a square one. plus my Beetle's got a sport suspension with a 1.5" drop from stock, so I don't think she'd handle the trailer very well... and would need an even bigger rise. ah well.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #23

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
So, if you go to FunFest, let us know.

CindyL
Hi Cindy! Good to meet you and your VWs! Funfest is still a bit up in the air- will have to see how cash, dissertation work, and camping prospects look. Thanks for all the info on Effingham and Funfest! Felix has a few parts on him from when Mid-America still sold New Beetle Parts (and a few others from Rocky Mountain Motorworks before they merged).

Sounds like the convertible is on its way Felix had a Cherokee dreamcatcher in him for years (ironically bought by my parents on the Navajo res. when they lived two hours from Cherokee, NC). Don't know if you're interested in a particular tribe- we have Mattaponi and Pamunkey here- could send some of their crafts your way.

We'll definitely keep in touch if it looks like we can make it!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Ollie:

Thanks for the offer. I doubt that we will need it though. We go to Pine Ridge every year and buy a lot of stuff just to help them out. We are overloaded in dreamcatchers right now (However, their dream catchers can be 3 dimensional. We have several of those and one in the camper, along with a painting we bought.). I think each kid gets a dreamcatcher gift.

Looking forward to seeing your setup when you can get it hooked up. Are you planning to paint the Scamp to match. Our Uhaul has blue accents to match the pickup if we ever get them together.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #25

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Are you planning to paint the Scamp to match. Our Uhaul has blue accents to match the pickup if we ever get them together.

CindyL
We'll probably stick with white for the present.. need to see how well the gelkote will shine up if at all. We are working on a different side logo. I would like to find some smoothie wheels and moon hubcaps for it..

I don't know about Pine Ridge..will have to check it out
Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #26

Name: Tabitha
Virginia
So, we realized after we got back home from looking at the trailer the first time and paying for half of it, that the person we were buying it from had actually posted in this here welcome thread. So, thanks to some expert assistance and advice from sir Eddie Longest, we got the hatch all replaced this afternoon in his totally kick booty garage.

(I'm sure our neighbors in the apartment complex also thank him for not having to be subjected to the fiberglass cutting racket)

Ollie drilling out rivets on the former "hatch"
Click image for larger version

Name:	smIMG_5369.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	46660

yay, it's out!

Name:	smIMG_5373.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	46661

hatch installed, trailer hooked up and ready to go!

Name:	smIMG_5384.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	46662

On the road!

Name:	smGOPR0266.jpg
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	46663

Name:	smGOPR0267.jpg
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	46664
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
So Tabitha, inquiring minds want to know... was all the work done by working from the inside... standing through the vent hole... or did someone need to work on the exterior from the outside? Does this make sense?

I'm just trying to find out if folks can replace the vent without getting on a ladder and laying on the roof.

Enjoy your trip!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Be sure and post your mileage and how your Beetle does towing. Inquiring minds want to know, lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #29

Virginia
Registry
We were able to do a good deal of the work from the inside, especially since the hatch didn't have a proper lid. After unscrewing the sheet of plexi that was put over the opening, all the rivet drilling could be done from the inside. If it did have the lid/screen pieces, you could do 3 sides of the vent from the inside. The new rivet hole drilling was done from the outside, with me pushing up from the inside to help hold everything in place. Then the new rivets were put in from the outside also, so there was less movement of the vent assembly and better leverage angle on the rivet gun. Overall, i'd say about 40% of the process was done from the inside, in our case.

Also, with using ladders, there wasn't much laying on the roof required, but that could have to do with the fact that Ollie is about 6'4". There was definitely more leaning/sprawling required for me, at 5'6".

-tabitha
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Tabitha, that's exactly what I wanted to know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #31

Virginia
Registry
The mileage doesn't seem to be down too much- but Felix has a perennial speedometer/odometer issues so need to make a longer run and see how his mileage sans trailer is doing. His regular mileage isn't great since he has over 300,000 miles now. In the years when I had the Puck he got 30-32 without the trailer and around 28 with it at highway speeds. Sometimes he got getter mileage WITH the Puck than without- with a tailwind and flat Texas desert, for example.