Ollie and Felix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
Ollie and Felix

Hi-
Just joined as warm weather camping season is kicking off and the trailer bug has got me again. My name is Ollie and I live in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Until a few years ago I had a 1968 Eriba Puck from Germany, an aluminum-skinned, fiberglass-roofed tiny trailer with a cult following in Europe and among the Volkswagen crowd on this side of the pond (they came painted cream from the factory, leading most folks to assume they are fiberglass). I also still have a 1980 VW Westfalia which has a fiberglass pop-top. My tow vehicle is a 1999 VW New Beetle named Felix with 300k miles (love to drive, love roadtrips and roadside Americana!). I'm on the hunt for a new camper and as soon as I find one, I'll post pics here-
Attached Thumbnails
PuckAtHaydensLake.jpg   DSCF0182 copy.jpg  

FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Ollie! I think the Eriba Pucks are totally cool. They'd even be better if their were all molded

I see you're shopping for a Burro? I hope you find the egg of your dreams.

Good luck on the hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Ollie
Good to have another Va. member. Your picture of Pin Oak Fountain caught my eye. Been there done that, located near Paw Paw WV. speed trap capitol of WV.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #4

Virginia
Registry
Thanks! I am fond of all the interesting molding in the Burros- especially the rounded contours of the taillight fins/ribs, round door corners, etc. The Puck was only 700lbs so pretty much any fiberglass egg will be considerably heavier but I had no trouble pulling the Puck cross country and through the mountains. I also plan on getting a diesel engine when the time comes. I was hoping to have a trailer for a Beetle club trip to the Tail of the Dragon in Bryson City, NC this weekend but it doesn't seem to be panning out as the seller wants to go camping too/has had several offers. I guess it might be better this way before I get into any sight-unseen floor issues, etc. as I live in an apartment complex (in grad school) and no time or space for a full resto... but was really looking forward to surprising the beetle crowd

Oh- I drove past the Pin Oak fountain every week for seven years when I lived in Cumberland, MD..very pretty area but Paw Paw was a total speedtrap, I know!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Welcome to the forum, Ollie!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Virginia
Registry
Thanks
The Burro I was looking at jumped in price, so still looking
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Welcome, Dont get to discouraged. Your RV is out there with your name on it. Just be patient.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Virginia
Registry
Well, patience is not my strong suit apparently... Will post pics when I bring it home

Shopping done so far:
Two side markers
25' of window molding/locking strip
locking strip tool
150' of 3/4" butyl tape
Hengs Elixir escape hatch
Curt 5" rise drawbar
15 yards of upholstery cloth
2 cans of white (icebox) plastic paint
1/2 of one trailer.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

Virginia
Registry
Ok- still waiting on taller drawbar to arrive, so going to post pictures in the meantime
Pretty funny-looking Burro, huh? Well, I'll keep looking for Burros and Eribas but for now, just happy to have a camper again!
It's a 1991 Scamp 13'

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	46396
Checking out the skylight, née vent..more on this in a bit

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	46397
Interior.. rat fur smells pretty funky.. will remove the ceiling fur and wash it, try to steam the rest for now- cabinet removal will be somewhere down the road.

Name:	GOPR0058.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	46398
Cabinet doors look ok from a distance but I think new ones are in order

Name:	GOPR0060.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	46399
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

Virginia
Registry
Some more shots- as I mentioned, vent screens and cover were gone and there is plexi there now. I have a new aluminum framed Heng's vent waiting for it. Also managed to get a pair of factory taillights which I'll polish up and try to fit a set of the 4" 61-LED lights inside of. I like the stock look. Also, the stickers will be going, but I'll save them for the history of the camper- maybe inside a cabinet door, etc.

Name:	IMG_5307.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	46400
Here's something you don't see every day- Turtle Hurdles!.. just before catching first sight of the trailer

Name:	IMG_5290.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	46401
Cool old store down the road from it

Name:	IMG_5310.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	46402
Here's Felix, pondering his new traveling companion

Name:	GOPR0062.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	46408
Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome from another VW enthusiast and fiberglass camper owner! We have a 2003 Eurovan that is our tow vehicle and hubby's daily driver. We also have a 2007 Salsa red New Beetle convertible, my daily driver. We have a 1968 VW pickup that does not run and a 1960 autostickshift Beetle that does run.

Are you stopping at Effingham in a couple of weeks? We will be there with our Uhaul and Eurovan. Not sure if we will show or not. I had been working to give a subtle Native American look the convert in case we wanted to take it too to show. The '69 is a rust bucket and of course, the pickup awaits work.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #12

Virginia
Registry
Good to meet you!
We are thinking about Funfest.. may be picking up a couple parts from a friend in Ohio on the way/way back if we go. It would be cool if we could meet up!
I love the pickups 'always wanted one with the bows and canvas cover.

The autostick is a '69, right? You said '60 at first and I just saw in a book a couple days ago that VW offered an autostick in Germany as early as '61.. would love to see one of those! I have an "Automatic Stickshift" decklid badge I've been saving in case I ever get a VW with a tiptronic transmission
Intrigued by the Native American theme! Please post pics if you do it!
Are you on thesamba or newbeetle.org?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another Williamsburg VA resident

Hi Ollie,

It's good to see another member from Williamsburg. Congratulations on the scamp. I have owned five scamps and have really enjoyed them. I've traded up for my current lil snoozy, but there are pluses and minuses to all the trailers. I wanted a trailer that needed a minimum of repairs.

Where do you plan to go camping?

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #14

Virginia
Registry
Good to meet you Ruth- Are you in Williamsburg? I live off Richmond Road behind the old Princess Anne motor court (near Staples). Love the look of the Lil Snoozy!

I don't know where camping will take us.. I took the Puck out to the Southwest twice and into the mountains, down the Outer Banks, etc. We have bikes and kayaks that ride on the bug, too. I went to a Tin Can Tourists gathering at the KOA here in Williamsburg and one in Salisbury, NC and to the first Vintage Trailer Jam in Saratoga Springs.. would love to get to more egg/vintage camper get togethers.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Williamsburg

I live in Toano, right off route 60. Love to go camping, can't quite figure out how to take the kayaks along with the trailer.

The lil snoozy is great. Love having it packed, load up the four dogs and food, and off we go on a weekend adventure.

We have been going to numerous state parks.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #16

Virginia
Registry
We just strap the kayaks on top of the car. I love the state parks..many of them have exemplary facilities and great sites. Not sure what's going on with the Virginia Rally thread but I'd definitely be game for something like that.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

Virginia
Registry
The supplies so far, still waiting on shop to call that they got the tanks so they can heat and extract the stuck low-rise drawbar from the bug's receiver.. it's always something

Tabitha's starting to work on the upholstery- zippers, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5360.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Hey Felix, welcome to the gang! There's quite a few VW lovers in here.
I have a 1971 Single Cab I just put a 2.3L Ford engine in. Just finished it yesterday!
I switched engines to pull my 13' Trillium. The 1776cc just wouldn't do it (well).

Does your new bug have problems pulling your camper?
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #19

Registry
Sorry, Ollie,

I did not see your reply until now. We will be at FunFest with our Eurovan and Uhaul. We stay in the campground near the Fest, I am blanking on the name right now. Love that campground. Spotless. They put us in the same spot every year (except last year when our granddaughter was born and caused us to miss).

Yes, you are correct. My typo about the year of our old Beetle. Our autostickshift is a 69. It is our go-to car for when the others are in the shop; I don't drive it anymore, but the hubby will. It does run. The skateboarders love it when they see it.

As for the convertible, it has a long ways to go before it looks any different than most red New Beetle convertibles. We put two stickers on the window, hung a beaded thing that we bought the last time we were volunteering on Pine Ridge, and put a Pendleton blanket steering wheel cover on it. That is all so far.

I do watch The Samba but I am not a member. Nor am I a member of New Beetle, at least not that I remember. I may have joined in the past, likewise with The Samba, but I don't participate. On the other hand, the hubby does belong, and I think to both forums. He is Kevin A here.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
2007-volkswagen-beetle-salsa-red-chicago-cars-for-sale.jpg   Beetlebig.jpg  

Uhaul Dubuque.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #20

Registry
So, if you go to FunFest, let us know. Maybe we can get together. We usually go on Friday, go golfing, hit the town on Friday (big disappointment, but the Walmart is fun. Clean and not picked over, not like those in Chicago). We have not done the Friday night drive in yet, but who knows, we may this year. On Sat, we spend the whole day there, checking out the VWs, the parts, the museum, and the toys. Usually, we end up with lots of toys and nothing to fix the pickup to make it run, because we can't get at it to fix it. It is full of and buried in camping things.
Sunday is pretty disappointing. Many people leave. I used to be able to only go on Sunday; big disappointment. So if you go, be sure to go on Sat. If you are camping, call Camp Lakewood, although I am guessing that they are full with a waiting list by now.

CindyL