Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Red face Some Caveats

Scamp 5th wheel owners correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Scamp doesn't use the standard king pin type connection, but a hitch like a trailer which requires a ball in the truck bed, not a king pin receiver.

Doing some research I guess they are called "Gooseneck Hitches."

Gooseneck Hitch - HitchAnything.com

PS: Welcome to FGRV!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #16

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
The Scamp 19 uses a unique hitch that unlike a gooseneck incorporates a 2" elevated ball. Scamp now sells a modified fifth wheel hitch installation using a two inch ball. The Scamp setup is unlike anything else but it works!

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
The Scamp 19 uses a unique hitch that unlike a gooseneck incorporates a 2" elevated ball. Scamp now sells a modified fifth wheel hitch installation using a two inch ball. The Scamp setup is unlike anything else but it works!

It does work, but in my experience there is a learning curve. After lowering the coupler over the ball, I was NEVER able to lock the coupler without first pulling the tow vehicle forward a few inches. Don't know if that is anyone else's experience.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The second water tank would go on the opposite side under the rear dinette I assume, which is kind of poorly accessible (dead) storage space anyway. But, since you have to leave the truck bed open for the gooseneck interior (safe, secure) storage is a premium item. You can always throw cans/jugs in the back of the truck for more water.

I don't think you mentioned a screen door but we really like ours. I thought the folding operation was a little goofy and it does restrict the door openning a little but having used it now I am glad I have it. Somebody on the forum mentioned using one of those "magic mesh" screens on the door and that might be a better option with the dog.

A fantastic fan has been mentioned but I wonder if the roof mounted AC has a fan function that would work similiarly?

Another thing not mentioned was an awning, we really like ours and would not be without it. And the new ones are MUCH easier to use (I understand). They are a little expensive so you would need to assess your style and think about it. The 10X10 or so "easy up" canopies work pretty well for less than a $100 too and can be set over wherever the picnic table is. I sometimes carry one in addition to the awning on the trailer. Depends on the duration of our site visit and the layout/size of the campsite whether I set up one or the other or both.

The Scamp 5er looks like a nice rig for your needs, good luck with your decision.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #19

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Some personal comments.

Second water tank. It was previously posted that this Scamp has a 12 gallon tank. 12 gallons isn't much so if the extra tank is in a space that has limited access to use for other purposes, I would get the tank. If weight is a concern don't fill it until you are close to your destination.

Propane furnace. Yes.

Electric heat strip in the AC. Yes

Electric option for hot water. No
Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Bessie, Get the antenna and cable hookup. They're cheap and you will likely be glad you got them in the long run. Also get the heater. It isn't that noisy. I havn't noticed it is a gas hog at all. I always like the fact I have a heated room for extra company when mine is parked at home. Until later towards winter and it gets real cold it can be winterized but still used for sleeping. You are bound to get some cool nights in Ohio when out camping. I wouldn't get the electric heat in the AC. It 's expensive for what you get and there are plenty of small heaters you can buy at Walmart to do the same thing. Another type is a Coleman Buddy heater that runs on those small propane bottles. Just be careful with that. You need some ventilation.
The thing about the heat strip is that it takes no extra space and it heats the trailer with the same control and sound as cooling with the A/C with the exception that the compressor doesn't run.
I haven't priced it lately but it has been well worth the price I paid($75) when I bought it.

The little box heater works well too of course but must be cool before storage and not placed near combustibles or heat sensitive material when in use.
I guess it's like roof A/C itself.... Is it worth the price for the convenience and quality of operation, without the loss of counter or storage space?
Maybe not... if it is seldom used, but like the furnace, it is there at a flick of a switch when you wake up cold in the middle of the night.

I have a Buddy Heater and it works well too, except when I had a full cylinder run empty at 4AM and we woke up shivering.
Ain't it great to have so many options to choose from!

Remember the fantastic fan works on 12V and vents outside air while the A/C requires 110V.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #21

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
A lot to think about! How much space is actually available in the truck bed with the trailer in place? We have a regular size truck bed. If anyone has a picture to share of the truck bed area, that would be great. Or, what types of stuff do you pack in your truck bed?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #22

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
It depends on where your hitch is located, etc. I have space to put two Rubbermade Action Packers in the back against the tailgate, and have space for a couple jerry cans for extra water up forward. In this case, I also had a crate at the front of the bed with stuff I was hauling to a relative in Washington.

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember the fantastic fan works on 12V and vents outside air while the A/C requires 110V.

Ah, of course. Boondocking one might appreciate the Fantastic Fan.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #24

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have no idea what the Scamp 5th wheel goes for when ordered, but in the FOR SALE section of FGRV is a 2010 Escape 5th wheel. Although it is in Alberta, the currency exchange would make it a good buy. Escape is a well built and thought out camper.

2010 Escape 5.0 Still For Sale, $23,000

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #25

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
Thanks for the pic John/BJ. It helps me better visualize. And thanks for the heads up on the Escape, Alice. We like the bunks for the young'uns that the scamp offers otherwise I would be all over that.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
I too, carry two action packers in the back of the bed, but find they like to "ride" forward. I use a tension bar to keep them from moving forward and interfering with the coupler arm on the trailer. Had one action packer crunched beyond repair before I started using the tension bar. I also carry a small cooler for drinks in the cargo bed and a Rubbermaid two step step stool because we don't find the Scamp's narrow step adequate for going in and out. Also lay bagged camp chairs on either side of the hitch.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #27

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Emily Welcome. As a Scamp 5er owner let me say this. If I were ordering a new one I would get the furnace and the heat strip in the air conditioner. I would definitely add the second fresh water tank. I added one to mine, 12 gallons don't go far. I also would let Scamp put the TV antenna in and cable access. Gas and electric water heater, a screen door and a fantastic fan for boon docking. Are you going to get a generator? I have two 2000 Honda's. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
I suggested getting the electric option on the water heater. I must have been half asleep. All you need is the gas. Turn it on about five minutes before you need it. I stand corrected on myself. LOL.
Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
The only situation I can think of where an electric water heater option might be worthwhile would be if you were staying long term (months) in one place with power.

Tags
scamp