Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The underside of the Scamp loft is just like the main floor. Wood. I'd insulate the underside, if I owned a Scamp 5er. The mattress just sits right on that wood and I chill easily. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That is an odd report since the fan in the A/C moves far more air than the Pelonis , And the heat strip is of the same or greater wattage than the Pelonis. Our heat strip will toast us out of our 13 at temps far below freezing.
Even though heat should rise to the loft, I have heard reports of the loft being hard to heat or cool... Some say its due to the underside of the loft being exposed and elevated. some have even installed a fan to force air into the loft.

I would agree with the loft assessment. In the deluxe model with the staircase, sometimes the A/C has a difficult time pushing cold or hot air into the loft. Sometimes have to crack the fantastic fan and run on low to "suck" air up to loft. And the night my wife was "freezing" it was cold coming up through the cushions, which sit directly on the floor of the loft. In the 13 and the 16, the bed is "insulated" from the floor by the dinette bench compartments. The Pelonis simply puts out far more heat than the heat strips, or seems to and the air coming out of it is noticeably warmer. Perhaps the heat strips keep a 13 footer toasty warm, but in my experience they are marginal in the 19. And in the 13 and 16 footer the A/C fan blows directly into the living space/sleeping area.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
The heat strips in my trailer must be turned on before the trailer gets cold. If I wait until it's cold in the trailer the heat strips will never recover.

I found this the hard way when we were in Bryce Canyon in September of last year. Daytime temps were 70 and nighttime temps in the mid 20s. The first night I turned the heat on at 3 AM and also had to use the propane furnace to get the trailer warm. The second night I turned on the heat strips before going to sleep and the trailer stayed toasty all night. The heat strips are wonderful but they have limitations.
Of course the same would be true of a little cube heater,If you want rapid heat, run the furnace then let the heatstrip maintain the temp. The extra volume of a larger trailer certainly is a factor.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #44

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course the same would be true of a little cube heater,If you want rapid heat run the furnace then let the heatstrip maintain the temp. The extra volume of a larger trailer certainly is a factor.

Interesting, because I have found the heat strips are unable to overcome cold if they are turned on once the trailer is cold. But I have always seen a reasonable temperature rise when I have used the cube heater under the same circumstances. That's not to say that I would rely on the cube heater at below freezing temperatures. I too would turn on the propane furnace. As an aside, I have always found it amusing when someone who had never driven a Ferrari tells me how well it handles.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Interesting, because I have found the heat strips are unable to overcome cold if they are turned on once the trailer is cold. But I have always seen a reasonable temperature rise when I have used the cube heater under the same circumstances. That's not to say that I would rely on the cube heater at below freezing temperatures. I too would turn on the propane furnace. As an aside, I have always found it amusing when someone who had never driven a Ferrari tells me how well it handles.

Which Ferrari? the SUV or the Caddy clone?(or the ersatz bus) As for the sports car... That's all part of the mystique, but with enough experience, you can learn a lot about them by working on them, watching them corner or out running them on a road course!
BTW; I have driven a Pinto and it does have a similar badge!
Attached Thumbnails
Ferrari-1980-Pinin-d.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #46

Florida
Registry
Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel

Cute, if I do say so. But Ferraris aside, everyone has real time experiences and everyone has opinions based on perceptions. My statements regarding heat strips vs. a Pelonis ceramic heater are based upon personal experience in a Scamp 19, not on unsubstantiated opinion or having seen, touched, worked on, or having been inside a 19. So with all due respect Floyd, and I acknowledge that you have extensive knowledge when it comes to Scamp trailers, I would ask if you have ever owned a Scamp 19, spent a cold night in one, or have you ever even compared the effectiveness of A/C heat strips vs a ceramic heater in a Scamp 5er. I have, and I am 100% certain of my conclusions. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I will say no more on this topic as it has ceased being productive and will not help the OP.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #47

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
I have read about the top bunk needing help in cooling/ventilation. We are getting the standard layout so I'm not worried about it. Thank you for the invite Terry. That's about 2 hours away from us and we don't currently camp so that would be a rough trip for us. I do plan on making next years rally though! And no opinions on cushion color?! we are choosing blue.
Bessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Cute, if I do say so. But Ferraris aside, everyone has real time experiences and everyone has opinions based on perceptions. My statements regarding heat strips vs. a Pelonis ceramic heater are based upon personal experience in a Scamp 19, not on unsubstantiated opinion or having seen, touched, worked on, or having been inside a 19. So with all due respect Floyd, and I acknowledge that you have extensive knowledge when it comes to Scamp trailers, I would ask if you have ever owned a Scamp 19, spent a cold night in one, or have you ever even compared the effectiveness of A/C heat strips vs a ceramic heater in a Scamp 5er. I have, and I am 100% certain of my conclusions. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I will say no more on this topic as it is has ceased being productive and will not help the OP.

Carl;
I have worked with the owners of several 19 Scamps who have experienced the difficulties described here with both heating and cooling the loft. Some solutions have worked, some not so much. Some simple(like opening the vent to pull air into the loft) some complex (like ducted fans)
The windows in the loft can cascade a lot of cold so making reflextix window covers for use in very cold conditions has proven very helpful. Cover the window and run them down past the edge of the mattress.
The heat source seems less relevant than the air management or whether the trailer is a front bath.
I have often supplied a Pelonis type heater with the fiberglass trailers we have sold and with great (reported) success. I have used them myself with good results. I also believe you are entitled to your opinion as well and your experience with your trailer deserves respect and bears weight on the subject.

One last comment to the OP.
None of this discussion should cause consternation in regards to comfort in the loft, since the problems are not profound, nor insurmountable, and they also manifest themselves significantly only at the fringes(hot or cold) of normal camping weather.(or so I've heard)
Carl is a smart guy who gives only good and measured advice.
Donna's comment on the cause is also spot on! Reflextix under the mattress seems to help without having to work on the underside of the loft.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #49

Registry
One point has been brought to my attention...
Be sure that your trailer has a shower curtain. We used a café rod and stainless key rings along with half of a clear plastic curtain to assure a dry bathroom door with minimum intrusion.
The curtain will prevent damage to the door, the bulkhead and the floor outside the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0074.JPG   DSCF0075.JPG  

DSCF0076.JPG  
Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #50

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
It depends on where your hitch is located, etc. I have space to put two Rubbermade Action Packers in the back against the tailgate, and have space for a couple jerry cans for extra water up forward. In this case, I also had a crate at the front of the bed with stuff I was hauling to a relative in Washington.

John, you show the Tacoma with the kayaks on a rack that is attached t the front of the truck. I would like to do something like it on my 2013, and I am looking for ideas. Do you, by any chance, happen to have any pictures of the front showing the mounting details? Thanks.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #51

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The Taco has a 2" front receiver that I got from eTrailer. I then built a three piece T bar - stinger with a pocket, upright, and cross bar with a pocket.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

Sent from my XT1032 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #52

Registry
Found a couple photos from last summer's Alaska trip that shows the T bar in use. Others are on the blog around mid June, 2013

Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #53

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
Found a couple photos from last summer's Alaska trip that shows the T bar in use. Others are on the blog around mid June, 2013
Is that blog on this forum? How can I find it? Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #54

Registry
A link to my blog is in my signature line if you're reading this in a web browser. I've discovered the app doesn't show signature lines :-( Blog address is http://justfinding.blogspot.com

Sent from my XT1032 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #55

Colorado
Sorry, I missed the link in your signature - I need to read more carefully.

Tags
scamp