Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel

Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster, long time lurker, ready to take the plunge and join the conversation with you fine folks. After much research, my husband and I have decided to order a Scamp 5th wheel for next camping season. I'm in the quote process with the salesman there and would love your input on some of the options we have chosen/not chosen. Before listing the options, I'll explain our family composition and our intended uses of the camper. We're a young family of 5, with two children ages 3 and 4, and a large 80 lbs. dog. We are going to use the camper mostly for nearby weekend trips and 2 or 3 long trips a year. We plan on camping at state and national parks and non-RV resort type campgrounds. We want to hike, kayak, and play outdoors as much as possible. This includes camping during cooler weather in the spring and fall and maybe using it during winter as a place to sleep when visiting family for holidays and birthdays. With all that said, here's the options. Feedback welcomed!
Gas AND electric hot water heater
cable hook-up
No TV antenna selected, should we get that too? I've read we can buy one much cheaper or should we just get it from Scamp and not worry about it later?
2nd fresh water tank (I figure there is definite boondocking potential in our future and thought this would help)
No furnace selected, should we get this? I have read that they are pretty noisy and use a lot of propane and that some space heaters will do a better job and free up storage space. Will getting one help with resale value?

Thanks so much for any input. I am so excited for this camper and all the family adventures will we have in it, it's pretty ridiculous. haha.
P.S. my name is not Bessie, that is the name given to our future camper from our 4 yr. old son. He is a Doctor Who fan like his daddy and when we asked what we should name the camper, he shouted "Bessie! Just like Dr. Who's car!"

~Emily
Bessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I live in So Cal and I would't have a trailer without a heater. First thing i did when I bought my used Scamp was install the heater. One cold damp weekend and you will regret not having one. Not all campgrounds have power available.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You will need the furnace, if you ever camp without shorepower, Also get the heat strip in your A/C for when you do.
Save a few dollars and forget the electric part of your water heater.
The water heater stays hot when no water is running through it, and it keeps up well when it is.
I have taken a hot shower more than a full day after shutting my water heater off completely.
When in use, it has a very quick recovery rate. When not in use, the pilot light alone seems to maintain the water temp between uses indefinitely, using only a tiny bit of propane.

I have both cable TV and the roof antenna, I use the antenna much more often.
You will find that cable TV at campgrounds is more common to the south and east of Ohio, and less common to the north and west. With the advent of WI-FI, cable is likely to become less common over time.
Since you will likely carry water in Gerry cans for refilling when boondocking, you might find that one fresh water tank is enough. This will save more storage space than that taken by the furnace.
These suggestions were meant only as food for thought since each trailer should be tailored to the buyers wants and needs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bessie View Post
Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster, long time lurker, ready to take the plunge and join the conversation with you fine folks. After much research, my husband and I have decided to order a Scamp 5th wheel for next camping season. I'm in the quote process with the salesman there and would love your input on some of the options we have chosen/not chosen. Before listing the options, I'll explain our family composition and our intended uses of the camper. We're a young family of 5, with two children ages 3 and 4, and a large 80 lbs. dog. We are going to use the camper mostly for nearby weekend trips and 2 or 3 long trips a year. We plan on camping at state and national parks and non-RV resort type campgrounds. We want to hike, kayak, and play outdoors as much as possible. This includes camping during cooler weather in the spring and fall and maybe using it during winter as a place to sleep when visiting family for holidays and birthdays. With all that said, here's the options. Feedback welcomed!

cable hook-up

No TV antenna selected, should we get that too? I've read we can buy one much cheaper or should we just get it from Scamp and not worry about it later?

2nd fresh water tank (I figure there is definite boondocking potential in our future and thought this would help)

No furnace selected, should we get this? I have read that they are pretty noisy and use a lot of propane and that some space heaters will do a better job and free up storage space. Will getting one help with resale value?

Thanks so much for any input. I am so excited for this camper and all the family adventures will we have in it, it's pretty ridiculous. haha.

P.S. my name is not Bessie, that is the name given to our future camper from our 4 yr. old son. He is a Doctor Who fan like his daddy and when we asked what we should name the camper, he shouted "Bessie! Just like Dr. Who's car!"

~Emily

Emily,

First, I didn't realize that Scamp offered a second water tank. I wouldn't do it due to the added weight. What I would do is get 3 or 4 five gallon jugs for those trips when you know you are going to need it.

Always found a ceramic heater kept my 19 warm enough, sometimes too hot, in temps in the 30s. But if boondocking, ceramic heaters don't work without electricity.

I personally would let Scamp put the TV antenna in. It's one thing I didn't do and wish I had. It was a pain to retrofit.

If you are getting "bike rack ready," get the second set of stop/directional lights. Bikes are likely to obscure the trailers lights, which are mounted just above the bumper. You don't want to get rear ended if you can help it.

Order the power landing gear if you can afford it. Hand cranking gets old very quick.

A/C is expensive, but a necessity when you decide to take the children to Disney World! Or anyplace south of Lake Erie in July, August, and sometimes September.

And keep in mind, with 2 kids and a dog, and a 5th wheel hanging over the bed of the truck, storage/transport space is at a premium.

Hope this helps and welcome to FGRV!

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Bessie, Get the antenna and cable hookup. They're cheap and you will likely be glad you got them in the long run. Also get the heater. It isn't that noisy. I havn't noticed it is a gas hog at all. I always like the fact I have a heated room for extra company when mine is parked at home. Until later towards winter and it gets real cold it can be winterized but still used for sleeping. You are bound to get some cool nights in Ohio when out camping. I wouldn't get the electric heat in the AC. It 's expensive for what you get and there are plenty of small heaters you can buy at Walmart to do the same thing. Another type is a Coleman Buddy heater that runs on those small propane bottles. Just be careful with that. You need some ventilation.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

Ohio
Thanks everyone, great advice. I think we'll go with the furnace; I was leaning towards it anyway. And I forgot to mention our tow vehicle. It's a 2011 GMC Sierra extended cab, max trailer weight of 5500 and GVRW of 7500. I do worry about storage. As it is, the dog gets the best seat in the house - passenger seat, and I'm in the back between the kiddos.
I've already planned out most of our 2015 trips. Mall of America as we head towards Backus to pick up the trailer (my sister is coming with us and has always wanted to go), a campground near Backus for a couple days to test things out, Colonial Williamsburg, Western Michigan, and Southern Arizona. My dream trip right now is the Keewanau peninsula in Michigan. I saw a magazine spread on it and it was spectacular (but I'm kinda partial to Michigan). So many places to explore.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Glad you're now planning on a furnace. I remember a time we camped near Duluth in August in my teenage years in the old Winnebago. When the temps dropped into the thirties, we ran the furnace, and I was very happy we had one. Today, I wouldn't even consider a trailer without a real furnace. As noisy a it can be at times, the heater is one of my favorite features, as we rarely camp with electricity, and often camp in cool and cold weather.
I love the area around Backus. Grew up in Minnesota. Hope you have a wonderful time picking up your new trailer, and a great time camping and making memories with the kids.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Living in Wisconsin ,the camping season is really short and it would be even shorter without a furnace . Our first trailer was a Scamp without a furnace ,which sometimes made travel / camping in the fall & winter difficult. I spent the first 60 years of my life in Minnesota and there are a lot of things to do and see in the Brainerd area of Minnesota which is only a short drive from Bachus
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A good idea if you will have 120V power some of the time.

cable hook-up
I have this, and used it once in the last 6 years. Would not get it again.

Escape accidentally put on on my trailer, and told me I could have it for free, or they would remove and repair. I asked them to take it off. Technology is changing too fast.

I would just use a separate large water jug. We find this real handy, as we cook mostly outdoors, and use it a lot there.

I would definitely get a furnace, not just for your own use, but resale value too. If you get dual 6V batteries, you can run a furnace for quite a few days at a moderate temp.

P.S. my name is not Bessie, that is the name given to our future camper from our 4 yr. old son.
Sounds like an old milk cow, could make for an interesting custom paint job in the future.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

Ohio
My now husband and I went on a road trip the summer after we graduated college. Minnesota surprised us with it's beauty. One of the most memorable parts of the trip. I look forward to going back.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #11

Ohio
haha, Jim! That would be a sight to see on the road, wouldn't it? We'd have to change our car horn too...MOOO.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Emily Welcome. As a Scamp 5er owner let me say this. If I were ordering a new one I would get the furnace and the heat strip in the air conditioner. I would definitely add the second fresh water tank. I added one to mine, 12 gallons don't go far. I also would let Scamp put the TV antenna in and cable access. Gas and electric water heater, a screen door and a fantastic fan for boon docking. Are you going to get a generator? I have two 2000 Honda's. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bessie View Post
haha, Jim! That would be a sight to see on the road, wouldn't it? We'd have to change our car horn too...MOOO.
LOL... love it!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome! Obviously, I think you're making a great choice. I seriously considered adding a second water tank but installed a suction pump to refill from a jerry can instead and I'm very glad I did. We tend to run very close to gross weight on the trailer without hauling an extra 100 pounds of water in the trailer.

I've installed several 12 volt outlets - mine came with none - since we boondock the majority of the time. I consider a fantastic fan essential. Ours is a deluxe so it came stock with the screen door - love it!

You might want to take a look at our mod list to see if anything there raises questions.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face Some Caveats

Scamp 5th wheel owners correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Scamp doesn't use the standard king pin type connection, but a hitch like a trailer which requires a ball in the truck bed, not a king pin receiver.

Doing some research I guess they are called "Gooseneck Hitches."

Gooseneck Hitch - HitchAnything.com

PS: Welcome to FGRV!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The Scamp 19 uses a unique hitch that unlike a gooseneck incorporates a 2" elevated ball. Scamp now sells a modified fifth wheel hitch installation using a two inch ball. The Scamp setup is unlike anything else but it works!
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
The Scamp 19 uses a unique hitch that unlike a gooseneck incorporates a 2" elevated ball. Scamp now sells a modified fifth wheel hitch installation using a two inch ball. The Scamp setup is unlike anything else but it works!

It does work, but in my experience there is a learning curve. After lowering the coupler over the ball, I was NEVER able to lock the coupler without first pulling the tow vehicle forward a few inches. Don't know if that is anyone else's experience.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The second water tank would go on the opposite side under the rear dinette I assume, which is kind of poorly accessible (dead) storage space anyway. But, since you have to leave the truck bed open for the gooseneck interior (safe, secure) storage is a premium item. You can always throw cans/jugs in the back of the truck for more water.

I don't think you mentioned a screen door but we really like ours. I thought the folding operation was a little goofy and it does restrict the door openning a little but having used it now I am glad I have it. Somebody on the forum mentioned using one of those "magic mesh" screens on the door and that might be a better option with the dog.

A fantastic fan has been mentioned but I wonder if the roof mounted AC has a fan function that would work similiarly?

Another thing not mentioned was an awning, we really like ours and would not be without it. And the new ones are MUCH easier to use (I understand). They are a little expensive so you would need to assess your style and think about it. The 10X10 or so "easy up" canopies work pretty well for less than a $100 too and can be set over wherever the picnic table is. I sometimes carry one in addition to the awning on the trailer. Depends on the duration of our site visit and the layout/size of the campsite whether I set up one or the other or both.

The Scamp 5er looks like a nice rig for your needs, good luck with your decision.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #19

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Some personal comments.

Second water tank. It was previously posted that this Scamp has a 12 gallon tank. 12 gallons isn't much so if the extra tank is in a space that has limited access to use for other purposes, I would get the tank. If weight is a concern don't fill it until you are close to your destination.

Propane furnace. Yes.

Electric heat strip in the AC. Yes

Electric option for hot water. No
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Bessie, Get the antenna and cable hookup. They're cheap and you will likely be glad you got them in the long run. Also get the heater. It isn't that noisy. I havn't noticed it is a gas hog at all. I always like the fact I have a heated room for extra company when mine is parked at home. Until later towards winter and it gets real cold it can be winterized but still used for sleeping. You are bound to get some cool nights in Ohio when out camping. I wouldn't get the electric heat in the AC. It 's expensive for what you get and there are plenty of small heaters you can buy at Walmart to do the same thing. Another type is a Coleman Buddy heater that runs on those small propane bottles. Just be careful with that. You need some ventilation.
The thing about the heat strip is that it takes no extra space and it heats the trailer with the same control and sound as cooling with the A/C with the exception that the compressor doesn't run.
I haven't priced it lately but it has been well worth the price I paid($75) when I bought it.

The little box heater works well too of course but must be cool before storage and not placed near combustibles or heat sensitive material when in use.
I guess it's like roof A/C itself.... Is it worth the price for the convenience and quality of operation, without the loss of counter or storage space?
Maybe not... if it is seldom used, but like the furnace, it is there at a flick of a switch when you wake up cold in the middle of the night.

I have a Buddy Heater and it works well too, except when I had a full cylinder run empty at 4AM and we woke up shivering.
Ain't it great to have so many options to choose from!

Remember the fantastic fan works on 12V and vents outside air while the A/C requires 110V.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp