Our new Burro 17, now some questions! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
mmp

Name: Matt
Trailer: Burro
Virginia
Our new Burro 17, now some questions!

Hello all, we bought our burro 17 last month, and we are in the learning phase big-time! I built a simple bunk up front over the single bed, and we have taken it camping overnight at a local camp ground. Fun!

I found it to be heavier than I expected, but I have since read here that the burro 17's are often 2500 lbs or more with fridge, bathroom, hot water heater, etc, so we are dealing with that, and hoping to stay within our 3500 lbs towing limit of our Honda Odyssey. I don't have a brake controller yet, I haven't found a place anywhere nearby that installs them (Northern Virginia). It seems 4 pin wiring and hitches are all u-haul does.

I need some help determining how much work my front floor needs. When I bought it I thought the springiness was just because the floor supports are too far apart, so I was just going to add some angle iron supports. I have since read about many Burro floor horror stories here, and I am hoping I have not made a big mistake buying this camper! I have attached a few pictures, one of the camper after we towed it home, one showing the new bunk, and two showing the settling on the front left and front right where the fiberglass has settled onto the frame. I can provide more pics to help diagnose the extent of the problem, just let me know what to take a picture of. I am taking it camping tomorrow, and rain is a possibility, so I will probably be able to see what if any leaks it has now. Please let me know where to look for leaks, I haven't found any obvious puddles inside yet.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1579.jpg   IMG_1687.jpg  

IMG_1680.jpg   IMG_1681.jpg  

mmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Matt, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

We have a number of Burro owners, or that brand of kissin' cousins. I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

THANKS for posting the pictures!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
mmp

Name: Matt
Trailer: Burro
Virginia
Thanks Donna! I have learned a lot from this forum, and I am hopeful I can use the experience of those who have been around the block in FG campers to work through any items I find on our new camper (new to us). I forgot to mention it is a 99/2000 model and I think we are the 3rd owners.
Matt
mmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Welcome Matt! Use an awl underneath and inside the trailer to poke around and see if you have any soft spots in the floor. Also make sure all the lag screws holding the the floor to the frame are present and secure. Because if they aren't, all the bouncing around can cause what you're seeing. I've actually gone through and replaced all the lag screws with galvanized carriage bolts on my trailer.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As a hint, when you problem into a problem and are seeking solutions... post ONE problem (each time) in the Problem Solving forum. We don't want a bunch of different problems (and solutions) to get all tangled up. Besides, it really helps with "Search."

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro