Our Scamp was hit in accident! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Name: kitti
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Texas
Our Scamp was hit in accident!

Our Scamp was damaged in an accident yesterday and the back split open on either side of the spare tire. Can this be repaired or not?????? Anybody know????
kitti in texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Oh no! Is everone (except the scamp) OK? It is fiberglass....I am sure it can be repaired....just a matter of finding someone to do it, cost and how well it gets done. I would be concerned about damage to the frame/axle though depending on where it got hit. Just my two cents!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad no one was hurt. Most any boat repair shop can fix fiberglass damage, after all, it is constructed pretty much just like modern fiberglass boats.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Texas
Us and dog okay but my heart is broken. Only second time we had her out. A guy ran into the back while in stop and go rush hour traffic in Austin Tx. We weren't even on the way home....we were on the way there!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yep, a good boat repair can fix it like new.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti in texas View Post
Us and dog okay but my heart is broken. Only second time we had her out. A guy ran into the back while in stop and go rush hour traffic in Austin Tx. We weren't even on the way home....we were on the way there!
Oh, that is so terrible !! It is really heartbreaking to see your egg damaged. But keep your chin up and check out the repair options. Best thing is that it sounds like it is repairable, and then you can go camping. Best of Luck.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Texas
We will check around and see what we can do. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Great thing about "eggs".......
They are NOT Humpty Dumpty.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That's really sad, Kitty!

Can you post pics of the damage?

And please tell us that the rear-ender was insured...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Texas
I will try to post pics. I have never done it before. And yes, he showed us an insurance card so we've got our fingers crossed.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A real bummer about the crash, its fortunate that no one was injured.

A heads up.... The other guys insurance company will tell you it's only worth $500 and will try to total it as that will be cheaper than the repairs.

6 years ago my 87 Corvette was totaled with relatively minor damage to the right front corner after it was stolen and crashed. They paid off about $7500 as I was able to show comparable cars for sale in the area that were well over the $4800 they first offered.

Tell them it's value is "Replacement Cost" not some low ball figure pulled out of a used RV price book. The latter are always much lower than what you can buy for.

BTW: Crossed Fingers don't work with insurance companies, be pro-active and start collecting comparable For Sale ads now and have them ready to show replacement value when his ins co contacts you.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Just as a note from Bob's comment. Here in Texas they too must replace the equivalent value. Dont let them try to depreciate it. Its the law. Just tell them to show you an ad or data for their value they come up with. They will be shocked on the price of the egg. As Tom and others have said thats the beauty of FG it can be fixed good as new from a reputable person.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Great thing about "eggs".......
They are NOT Humpty Dumpty.
Which raises the question; Sure perhaps some of the king's men might have some egg repair expertise, but what ever possessed them to let the horses have a go at it?!
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
You raise a valid point. Since they took Mother Goose's nursery rhymes off the market for being to violent I forgot that all the "king's horses and all the king's men" couldn't put Humpty together again. But they didn't have super glue.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to know no one was hurt. I echo all the above advice. Wonder if you should also have a reputable RV shop have a look at the frame just to make sure everything is OK there.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh man... BUMMER! I also am glad to hear no one was hurt. There are things to be thankful for.

I know you're in Texas and it's a BIG state. Have you considered contacting Casita Travel Trailers? If you're close maybe they can do the work for you... you know it will be done right. OR, perhaps they can recommend someone in your area (like I said Texas is a big state) that they would recommend someone with a Casita could take that brand in for repairs.

Please let us know how it goes for you. We care
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Crossed Fingers don't work with insurance companies, be pro-active and start collecting comparable For Sale ads now and have them ready to show replacement value when his ins co contacts you.
This is where all of Greg's work bears fruition. He has archived all the eggs listed for sale over the past few years on his website. Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I oto have used that listing, but it can be a double edged sword. There are usually a few lowball trailers as well as those that are being sold in the winter.

Best one are those less than 3 months old and, considering that prices are now on the upswing, maybe throw in a few from last summer to show the seasonal swing.

We sold our 2004 Scamp 13' for over $10k in last July, an outrageous price for 9 months of the year. I have seen similar listings in the winter for $2500, mostly in winterized states, and would have grabbed them to fix up for summer resale if they had been closer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #19

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
So sorry about the accident, I can't even imagine how I would feel, so grateful no one was injured!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A real bummer about the crash, its fortunate that no one was injured.

A heads up.... The other guys insurance company will tell you it's only worth $500 and will try to total it as that will be cheaper than the repairs.

6 years ago my 87 Corvette was totaled with relatively minor damage to the right front corner after it was stolen and crashed. They paid off about $7500 as I was able to show comparable cars for sale in the area that were well over the $4800 they first offered.

Tell them it's value is "Replacement Cost" not some low ball figure pulled out of a used RV price book. The latter are always much lower than what you can buy for.

BTW: Crossed Fingers don't work with insurance companies, be pro-active and start collecting comparable For Sale ads now and have them ready to show replacement value when his ins co contacts you.

Hi All! The back of my sisters boler had the rear tire put into the back of her rig. the wheel broke the shell inward between the seats, the wheel was a perfect fit in between. she lives in Canmore Alberta. the State farm Insurance Co. in the US ( where the damage occurred ) wanted to give them $ 1000.00 as a totaled trailer. they contacted their Canada rep. and he knew bolers and how much a 1973 would cost. The result with a bit of documentation of other boler trailers got them $ 5000.00, ( they paid $1000.00 to buy it back from the Insurance Co. ). They went to a boat repair shop ( here in Utah) and they were told, they would repair and paint the damaged area for $10,000.00, not the entire trailer! I am not a professional fiberglass repair man, but I said with materials, and being paid a mere $20.00 an hr., ( the boat people wanted $60.00 an hr.) I would fix it for $1000.00, to be paid out of Insurance funds. It turned out perfect ( a statement by, the painters who saw it ) they said most nonprofessionals could not have completed that task. ( I'm not asking for too many pats on the back! ) I am a fanatic. It took me 50+ hrs. ( I also had to repair the back wall between the seats,at the floor and up about 18 inches ) damage also occurred to the joint at the belly band. We sanded the shell and fixed other damaged places; it was painted for $1000.00. As others have stated, you must be a demanding advocates for yourselves!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote