Oxygen underfloor heat? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19, Oliver LE2
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One of the questions I almost always ask myself when I want to make major changes to something that might not be standard. The question "If this such a good idea why isn't being done now?".

I've found that usually there a reason that may not be obvious until get into a project. Then you find out the why hasn't been before.
Probably a few of the biggest reasons why it's not done are: The standard forced air heat that we all have is cheap and everyone knows what it is, but that doesn't mean it's better. Radiant floor heat will take up about an inch of headroom, by adding that thickness to the floor. It's more complicated than the forced air system, and there is a chance of freezing the water if no anti-freeze is put in.

But it could certainly be more comfortable and quieter.

A lot of contractors build houses with the same theory. Cheap and common, over comfort and quality.

Apparently, Bowlus has floor hydronic heating, but I haven't seen their system.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
Vermont
Underfloor heat

Google Swedish “Cabby” caravans and other European RV and you will see that many have underfloor heating and many features we do not have. They can be used in winter

Johninvermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
British Columbia
Registry
O2 heat.

I'm still using the catalytic heater that came with my O². I keep waking up in the morning. ☺
I've thought about a furnace, but don't like the noise. The hydronic heating is a neat idea, but one would have to insulate the floor better I think. It just has a honeycomb type of insulation now. I think as much heat would be radiated outside as in.

Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen