Picked up a Uhaul CT-13 (1984) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Pennsylvania
Picked up a Uhaul CT-13 (1984)

Hi, I'm Mike. Glad I found this forum, I've been lurking for a day and already learned some things. Just got a 1984 Uhaul 13' earlier this week.

Been wanting one of these little guys for a while now. Stumbled across one on Craigslist and had to snatch it up. Needs a very good cleaning and I'm sure I'll be replacing anything cloth inside, and running some new wiring.

Its been sitting for years, so I was surprised to see lights on in the cabinets this morning. Guess the solar panel is still putting out a trickle charge.

A little about me... I'm a bathroom refinisher by trade. Just this year I got bit by a vintage trailer bug and this is my second project now. I'm also working on a 1965 Zipper (Canned ham, looks like a Shasta compact) but have wanted a fiberglass egg since I first saw them. I'm looking to make this guy my pride and joy.

He's really dirty, but I'll post a couple pics anyway... If anyone else can see the potential here, I figure it would be this community!

Bootsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here

Thanks for posting the pictures! If you've been reading... you know we love pics. Any inside pictures available?

A little cleanup sweat equity and it appears you'll have a nice little rollin' home, one that will give you many happy memories.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome from another UHauler. It appears to be in decent shape. You will find lots of information here including a good way to restore the shine with Bar Keeper's Friend and Zep Wet Look floor finish (really).
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
I'll be taking a few more pics including the interior this weekend... the inside is, well... it needs cleaning. Unless uhaul rented with all cushions thrown wet at a wall underneath the wasp nest (those come standard right? Seems like an odd feature to add, but I guess everyone loves nature)

Thought I had a lost/broken tail light and read those are hard to come by, but I found it. Needs some work on the wiring, but I'm glad the reflector is still intact.

Definitely a project, but it seemed like a good buy for 450. as I can do all the work. I have 50 thin film 7.3w cells that I'll be putting on the roof as well, at least if I can fit them. Will be swapping out the original charge controller with a tracer mppt that can handle 150 volts in so I'll have minimal efficiency loss running all my cells in series.

Can't wait to get started this weekend!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsand View Post
I'll be taking a few more pics including the interior this weekend... the inside is, well... it needs cleaning. Unless uhaul rented with all cushions thrown wet at a wall underneath the wasp nest (those come standard right? Seems like an odd feature to add, but I guess everyone loves nature)
A jewel in the rough - these campers are tough.

Quote:
Thought I had a lost/broken tail light and read those are hard to come by, but I found it. Needs some work on the wiring, but I'm glad the reflector is still intact.
Good save. We are still hoping and waiting to see if these lenses can be reproduced by a skilled poster here.

Quote:
Definitely a project, but it seemed like a good buy for 450. as I can do all the work. I have 50 thin film 7.3w cells that I'll be putting on the roof as well, at least if I can fit them. Will be swapping out the original charge controller with a tracer mppt that can handle 150 volts in so I'll have minimal efficiency loss running all my cells in series.

Can't wait to get started this weekend!
$450?! You stole it.

The original charge controller is a historical artifact - mine wasn't even working, but I'd have replaced it anyway.

Post lots of pictures and use the Google search function - lots and lots of information in the forum and the document center.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Mike. You have a diamond in the rough to make your own. Always glad to have more UHaulers on this forum.
Enjoy!!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Glad to have you with us, Mike. She looks like a little beauty!

Be sure to plan on new tires, too. I can see where she sat in the mud, so the tires are probably pretty old and dry-rotted.

Have fun!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Great find. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Deal of the century!! And I see what could be original Uhaul hubcaps which are extremely rare. Lots of little quirky stuff on these that may need attention, but worth the effort. I rewired all of ours as I found the light wiring under the trailer cracked with exposed wire. Also replaced 3 windows, new power converter, removed furnace, fantastic fan in place of the swamp cooler, additional lights and outlets and some other mods. Have fun with it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
You're a lucky guy Michael! They're not making anymore of those U-Haul eggs, so best of luck with it. I've been looking a while for one, but for what I want (something 16'), they are few and far between here in the NE. Plus I don't know if I want another project. I've had two, both Sunlines, and it just gets old! On the other hand, I'm towing our 15' Sunline to Maine tomorrow for a long weekend, so life isn't all bad.

Good luck with yours this weekend. Keep us posted!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
UHauls rock!! (course I'm a little biased, hehehe). Tom is right, you got a great buy at 450!

Before you trash the cushions, try cleaning them up with soapy water with a little bleach in a kddy pool. Stomp on them like grapes and then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry outside. The original olefin material wears like iron and the foam is an older, denser type that you can't get today. So you're good to try and save it if possible. Looking forward to the progress photos!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

New York
Boy, $450 is something I could afford! Lucky fellow...

Frank
Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Pam, thats a great idea and really good to know about the cushion density. I did not know that. You may have just saved some cushions from a dumpster, I'll definitely give it a shot! There's a good bit of catching up to do and I think I'll find that fabled documents area on this site (or was it the uhaulcamper site?) That had the manuals and such before I throw anything away.

Frank, I know, I was stunned when I saw the price. I was looking up a different uhaul on craigslist in my area that was posted for $6K to show my roommate what they were (have always wanted one, but they were out of my range for a project) when I came across this one.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

New York
Ya did good Michael. With luck, we'll sell out tin can next year and find a good deal on one of these eggs. I need a deal to get one before I retire in 2 to 3 years! Keep us posted on how you do with it, and best of luck!

Frank
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Welcome to the family- I am coveting those hubcaps- hmmmmmm- great price too- you'll love having a UHaul-
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Happy hunting and best of luck with your search, Frank, when you find yours it will be a wonderful day