Picked up the Happier Camper HC1 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Don, glad your liking the trailer, cant wait to see how you lay it all out. I just got this Awesome blanket from Rumpl, Rumpl - High Performance Blankets there expensive but i think worth it. Warm, comfortable, weatherproof and stylish. I think we will add it as a add on option for the HC1s, just need to get them in matching colors

dm
Derekmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #22

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Looks like it's time to add Happier Camper to the list of FG models on the Home page so HC owners can start their own threads!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Looks like it's time to add Happier Camper to the list of FG models on the Home page so HC owners can start their own threads!
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #24

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
Just came back from camping night #7 in our Happier Camper HC1 here are some thoughts for anyone considering a purchase.
The sliding blind front and back closures (blinds) are genius!
We hooked up a bike rack with one bike to the back this time and found we needed to counter-balance the trailer by putting a heavy cooler up front for stability, but otherwise towed just fine. - we did the calculation and towed at 18mpg for a combo of highway/city. Normal mpg with our Toyota Tacoma is around 21mpg.
We are a family of four and have found that here in Colorado (where nights have been in the 40s), we find it essential to keep the Maxxair fan running overnight to reduce condensation. The fan draws very little power from the battery even when left on all night.
The campsite we had was on a downslope, but we were easily able to move the trailer on and off our truck with the help of the wheel that pops down on the tongue - much easier than our friends with a Scamp and no wheel to help.
We really like having the one countertop box with a door on the side for easy access to things we are using frequently.
I made a "map" of what things were in each box - I found on our first trip that I spent a lot of time searching for things; this time it was much easier.

If you have any questions, please message me, would love to answer!

Kristen
Coolbean60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Congratulations, The HC1 looks awesome. My Boler is now 42 years old, just think of all the memories you can make in those years in your HC1.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #26

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Ooooooh purdy! Yes please, more pics when you get a chance.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #27

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up map

i like the map
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Did you ever get a weight? I'm seriously looking at this trailer. I think about it whenever I want to pick up something big and know I can't get it into my Campster. Or when something on the Campster breaks! (Like the top...) Considering what I use in my Campster (the bed and icebox) it would be a pretty simple setup. Not sure about configuring the bed the way I'd want it, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #29

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
I never did weigh the trailer. The 4 cyl subaru has no trouble, power wise, towing it. My tongue weight is 160 (200 max for the Outback Subaru) and I have had no troubles with trailer sway at all. I am not sure I will weigh it though. I am the kind of guy that will obsess about that sort of thing. I am just trying to keep the accessories fairly light. I also do not carry anything in the rear if the car and put the car's spare, bbq, and chairs, forward on the roof rack to lighten the rear of the car.

As far as the trailer goes, we are loving it. We are off towards Northern California this Saturday for about a 5 day loop.

It is a little tough to decide what bits and pieces to buy when writing up the purchase. I would suggest looking at their list of cubes and accessories and then doing a small scale layout to try different configurations. Even with this, after we started using it. We ended up with one extra cube we do not always use. Take a look at my pictures. There is a double wide box with built in stove and sink that I do not see on the web site yet. (With a slide out 12 volt cooler if you want). The plus side is you could change the configuration for each trip, depending on your needs.

If anyone has more questions about the trailer, or would like a specific photo of something they do not see on line, please write here or PM me. I will be happy to,share anything I can.

Don
Sacramento
Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #30

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbean60 View Post
Just came back from camping night #7 in our Happier Camper HC1 here are some thoughts for anyone considering a purchase.
The sliding blind front and back closures (blinds) are genius!
We hooked up a bike rack with one bike to the back this time and found we needed to counter-balance the trailer by putting a heavy cooler up front for stability, but otherwise towed just fine. - we did the calculation and towed at 18mpg for a combo of highway/city. Normal mpg with our Toyota Tacoma is around 21mpg.
We are a family of four and have found that here in Colorado (where nights have been in the 40s), we find it essential to keep the Maxxair fan running overnight to reduce condensation. The fan draws very little power from the battery even when left on all night.
The campsite we had was on a downslope, but we were easily able to move the trailer on and off our truck with the help of the wheel that pops down on the tongue - much easier than our friends with a Scamp and no wheel to help.
We really like having the one countertop box with a door on the side for easy access to things we are using frequently.
I made a "map" of what things were in each box - I found on our first trip that I spent a lot of time searching for things; this time it was much easier.

If you have any questions, please message me, would love to answer!

Kristen
Hi Coolbean60,

We have become obsessed with the HC-1! We have 2 girls who will likely be around 5'8" within a few years. How is the HC-1 working out for the family? How do you set up the interior? We are on the east coast, so it would be expensive to fly us all out to LA for a "shopping trip." Would love to hear more (and pictures please ��)
Are there owners other than you and Dbybe on the forum?
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #31

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
My husband is 5'9" and the really nice thing about the bed (by the wheel wells) is that it is longer than in a Scamp, so it really fits him and gives me a little extra head and foot room.

With 4 adult-sized people, you would probably be most comfortable making the whole thing a bed, but remember that you can use the table tops to make a bed and don't need to buy 15 boxes. I recommend the side access on some of the boxes - it would have made getting to things a bit easier.

We really use the trailer as a place to sleep and a place to ride out bad weather - we still do all of our cooking outside, so we did not purchase any of the kitchen items.

You should totally make your trip out to CA the trip of a lifetime! Visit the national parks while you are out here - you will not regret it!
Coolbean60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #32

Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
HC1 Layout for a tall guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxdoc View Post
Hi Coolbean60,

We have become obsessed with the HC-1! We have 2 girls who will likely be around 5'8" within a few years. How is the HC-1 working out for the family? How do you set up the interior? We are on the east coast, so it would be expensive to fly us all out to LA for a "shopping trip." Would love to hear more (and pictures please ��)
Are there owners other than you and Dbybe on the forum?
I own an HC1 and am 6'5". We set up the trailer with a two box wide bed towards the rear and a one box wide bed towards the front (plus the 10" or so fixed cushion across the front for a 30" wide bed) I need to sleep slightly on the diagonal so use the wider bed. The hardest part was deciding which of the accessory boxes to order with the trailer. I would suggest a small scale layout of the trailer floor which you can use to sketch various layouts to see how you might like them. There are only two of us so we may have more options than a family of 4. At this point, now that we have used it a bit, we are ready to pull everything out and try other layouts, just for fun. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #33

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Thanks Kristen and Don! I can't wait for more trip reports!
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #34

California
Trip Report

Not sure if you saw this abbreviated trip report I sort of buried in another thread. Attached is the link.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post586300

Tags
happier camper, hc1