Picking up 71 Boler 13' tomorrow! Ideas? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D and E Boler View Post
Hi,

Its been raining here for a few days so I left it outside to test for leaks:

-Plexi glass windows are leaking at the middle at the bottom. Not very much but enough to annoy me. I may get some caulking just for that area. There is a hairline gap there.

-The side windows are leaking slightly as well. One side very bad to the point that the dinette cushion is quite wet. Unfortunately the previous owner appeared to have used silicon around the windows. The strange part is that the water was in the tray that holds the screen..I am thinking maybe it wasn't closed tight enough.

I have brought the trailer into the garage now.

Checked and tested all wiring inside and everything is good. Some lights only work with a 12v battery. It is a little hoaky but seems to do the job.

I have taken a picture of the rear frame like the one from the Buyer's guide. It appears be straight to me.. I am going to make sure all bolts holding the frame to the frame are good to prevent future damage. (Sorry..cannot figure out how to rotate uploads, so you can save it to your computer then rotate to view better.)

The diameter of my tires are just under 24". I measured the distance from the frame to the ground and it appears to be 8"..

The door hinges are definitely worn. The springs, etc are gone and have been replaced with other bolts. It looks to be causing stress marks on the door area.

I am thinking of ordering the axle and hinge parts from Paul in Ontario. Has anyone dealt with him in the past? If so, is the axle good build quality? Or has anyone in BC replaced their axle and know of a good shop to go to to get one made to match the original?

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful.

Devan
Looking at the frame picture it looks OK, but really hard to tell from just pictures. Axle definitely needs replacing, a new axle with a 10 degree up angle will provide about 11" frame to ground clearance (original stance). PAul is located in Ontario, worth pricing out but shipping could cost a fortune. Standens Springs has a distribution centre in Surrey, they are distributors for both Dexter and FlexiRide axles.. When replacing your axle make sure you get brakes, well worth the extra cost.

Rather than caulking the plexi windows you could use some butyl tape, just tear off a piece and press it into the gap, won't be the prettiest but should stop the leak until you replace the window and seal, it will also be easier to remove and clean up later.

Your side Jalousie windows can be rebuilt, they are great windows, probably just the seals and weatherstripping. but the water could also be from the leaking plexi windows, water will travel behind the ensulite and surface some distance from the actual leak.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi,

I am thinking of ordering the axle and hinge parts from Paul in Ontario. Has anyone dealt with him in the past? If so, is the axle good build quality? Or has anyone in BC replaced their axle and know of a good shop to go to to get one made to match the original?

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful.

Devan
Escape Trailers in Chilliwack is the hot spot for Boler axle replacements. Prices are good and they know what they are doing. Lots of Boler's here in BC have had their axles replaced there for a reason ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I have just received an axle from Paul with Brakes. Shipped to Victoria by ground freight.

Price it out, he would have a fairly recent qoute from my order. No concerns on quality.

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #24

Name: Devan
British Columbia
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the Boler community. This forum really is the best Ive ever been apart of. Informative responses from everyone.

I am going to contact Paul tomorrow for a quote. I do tow the trailer with a full size pickup so I may skip on the brakes. I guess it depends on cost. I do see the safety benefit though if the trailer detaches on the road.

I purchased some butyl tape today, but tested the windows with a hose and discovered it is actually coming from the rubber seals on the windows.

I am planning a trip to California in May.. looking forward to working on the trailer and hope its finished before then. Didn't give myself much time

Thanks again everyone!

Devan
D and E Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #25

British Columbia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427137654.954613.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	81631

It appears I have made a mistake in my previous measurements. Today is a good day! No axle replacement for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #26

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
I purchased some butyl tape today, but tested the windows with a hose and discovered it is actually coming from the rubber seals on the windows.
On the plexi windows, or on the jalousie windows?
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #27

British Columbia
The Jalousie windows.

Devan

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #28

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I am fairly certain that replacement seals can be found for those - not sure where would be the best source though.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #29

Name: janette
Trailer: looking to buy
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyone View Post
Ive got an original 1977 b-1300...fun times...safety first......although Im thinking about selling mine because of storage costs in my area...santa barbara ca...any interested parties? I will post more pix on sellers page
Is your Boler still available? I'm interested! Thx
janette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler