pjammies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Peggy
Trailer: in the market
Kansas
pjammies

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I've been researching small fiberglass trailers. I like the looks of the 19" Scamp 5th wheel but feel somewhat confused about a tow vehicle. There's so much conflicting info out there.
Any of you that have a 19' scamp - what are you pulling it with?
Saw one for sale with a 2004 Ford Ranger 6 cyl with a tow system; not sure what all that means. Hopefully some of you seasoned owners and towers will give me some insight.

Thanks, Peggy
pjammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
2012 Colorado I-5 cyl. 4x4 Crew Cab. Engine: Vortec 3.7L I5 with 242 hp and 242 lb.-ft. of torque. Trailer weight rating 6000 (lbs.) Pulls great with no problems.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Saw one for sale with a 2004 Ford Ranger 6 cyl with a tow system; not sure what all that means.
Seller might mean truck has a tow package. A package of optional equipment to increase capacity or reduce wear and tear. Have to ask the seller for specifics.
List of possible options is pretty long but a few might be:
Transmission cooler (better cooling for transmission fluid)
Heavier springs (increase weight capacity)
Larger radiator (better engine cooling)
Built in wiring for 7 pin trailer plug (wires and fuses for 7 pin trailer connection)
Built in wiring for brake controller (makes trailer brake controller plug-n-play)
Heavier flasher relays (trailer lights puts more draw on flasher).
There may also be an optional rear end gear that gives the truck better low end power to get a heavy load moving, at the expense of top speed and possibly fuel economy.

Could also mean seller has it wired for lights and brakes and has the 5th wheel hitch installed in the bed of the truck and nothing else. Just have to ask them about specifics and report back here to get answers on what the items specified mean.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Howdy, Peggy. It's worth mentioning that the 19' Scamp needs a "gooseneck" hitch rather than a true 5th wheel hitch. In other words there's a ball in the middle of the pickup bed. Not a big deal, but we wouldn't want you to buy a truck and then have the wrong thing put into the bed.

As far as engine power, you'd be happiest with a V6 or at least a 5 cylinder. 4 Cylinder engines might be a bit marginal for that 19'er. You could use a Ranger, a Colorado/Canyon, a Tacoma, a Dakota, etc. Or you can go with a full size pickup. But with the full size pickups, some (like late model Fords) have very high bed walls and you need an axle lift on the trailer to raise it high enough so it won't hit on the bed rails when you turn.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Kansas
Thanks for the info. I will check with the owner to see what is included in the "tow system" they've advertised.
Maybe I wasn't clear: the 19' Scamp comes with the 2004 Ford Ranger 6 cylinder truck that they used to tow it, so the correct gooseneck hitch is installed. I wanted to get some advise on whether that truck is big enough to actually do the job in the years to come or if it's not enough truck for the job.
Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
2007 Nissan Frontier SE Crewcab tow vehicle

We pull a Scamp 19 with a 2007 Nissan Frontier SE Crew cab 6-cylinder, 2wd and have had no problems. It does not have a factory tow-package. We've gone 30,000+ miles including some in the Rockies. We drive under 60mph for safety and gas mileage, but the truck could do more.

I would guess that the Ranger 6-cyl would have similar towing power to the Frontier. FYI, we like the Scamp 19 very much.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Peggy I would bet it means the tow hitch is installed in the bed of the truck and the trailer wiring connection is already setup. What year is the Scamp 5er?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Happy with this combination

I tow my 2004 19' Deluxe with a 2013 Tacoma with 6 cyl. 4 liter, towing package (as described above, it is worth the money when buying new). The Deluxe with a whole bunch of options is probably 500 lbs heavier than the standard 19' scamp. The hitch is not a typical gooseneck (horse trailer) type either. It is a ball on a bracket, about a foot above the truck bed. I decided on the bigger engine since I knew we would be crossing the continental divide, and we already did so, many times in two trips out west. If you were to replace that Ranger, the choices of mid-size trucks have become limited, but Chevy is bringing back the Colorado, I understand, after Tacoma ate their lunch.
Here we are, ready to head down east - Newfoundland and Labrador.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0991.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

Colorado
Oh, I might just add that the Tacoma manual says not to tow a 5th wheel with it. Well, if you mention "5th wheel" to a car dealer, he will think 10,000 or 15,000 pounds. Not a 2,500 - 3,500 pounds Scamp.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Kansas
I have a couple of new questions, is a mid size truck with a short bed ok to tow the 19' Scamp 5th wheel? Also, how expensive is it to have the gooseneck hitch installed and who would I have do that? Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I tow mine with a full size Chevy, 6 cyl, PU. I have the 6'4" bed and like the extra room to carry things like the BBQ, outdoor stove, etc. I also like the bar across the bed as I put a folding leg table under the bar.

I'm currently looking for a new truck as I don't trust my truck after the transmission go out 4 times since early June while on a trip. Because of the transmission we got back home 5.5 weeks late and spent a lot of money camping in RV parks waiting for repair shops. At this point I'm look towards a new Tocoma and after reading a lot of posts here, thinking about a standard shift truck instea of an automatic transmission. No problems with overheating, and if your clutch goes out it should be able to be replaced a lot cheaper faster than the $3,500 it has cost me.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
6' bed allows installing tool box

Our Frontier has the longer (6') bed, which allowed us to install an 18" tool box and still have the Scamp (old style) hitch mounted directly over the center of the truck's rear axle/wheels. We carry all the hook-up/set-up equipment, a 10 X 10 screen room, and tools in the box.
We usually have the crossbar removed (only two bolts hold it) when not camping and are able to use the truck bed some. Our use is probably limited more by the tool box than the hitch base.
Our hitch was installed by Scamp when we picked up the trailer, but most places that do trailer installs should be able to do it. You will also need to have a 7-pin plug installed on the truck. If you buy new, Scamp tells you what plug is needed, but doesn't do the install.
If buying used and you don't own a truck, buying the whole package, truck and trailer, may be a good way to go.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjammies View Post
I have a couple of new questions, is a mid size truck with a short bed ok to tow the 19' Scamp 5th wheel? Also, how expensive is it to have the gooseneck hitch installed and who would I have do that? Thanks a bunch!
I installed the "new" style Scamp hitch (Reese parts, ~$600 from Scamp) in the bed of my 4 door short bed Tacoma myself. It was not overly difficult. Check out my posts, I described it in one of them. It is easily removable, so the bed is pretty much free for whatever use when not towing. No room in the short bed for the hitch and a tool box, but I am going to make my own some day.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Howdy, Peggy. It's worth mentioning that the 19' Scamp needs a "gooseneck" hitch rather than a true 5th wheel hitch. .

No, it doesn't. It's not a fifth wheel or gooseneck.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #15

Colorado
Scamp: Goose neck of fifth wheel?

In terms of the geometry and dynamics, it is exactly like a fifth wheel, and tows well, just like it.

In terms of the connecting mechanism, it is a little like a goose neck, but the ball is not low in the bed, it is raised about 12 inches, on a bracket.

You need the proper setup to tow it, which could be an advantage (no joker with a 2" ball bumper hitch can hook up and steal it), or disadvantage, if it needs to be towed by a rescue truck.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #16

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
We had a 19' Scamp deluxe and towed it with a Nissan Frontier crew cab short bed (5'). We needed to position the hitch about 8 inches behind the axle and had no problem. We are currently doing the same thing for towing our Escape 5.0 Classic.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Ideally, it should be 2-6" ahead of the rear axle.

That being said, I have a 6.5' bed and had still had to lengthen the trailer hitch to be able to turn 90* with the fifth wheel hitch properly mounted in the truck, and not hit the cab. There are slider hitches available for fifth wheels, but I didn't want to use one.

My hitch is 3" ahead of the rear axle, I believe.

The other big benefit of lengthening the trailer hitch is that I can open and close the tailgate while hitched up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #18

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Ideally one would want to mount it over the axle so as not to take weight off the front axle and impact handling. However, with these lightweight 5th wheels there is a little more leeway...we're talking about a 600-700 pin weight...not like the big rigs. with pin weights in the several thousand pounds. The Frontier's front end is heavier and our model has heavy duty shocks. It handles fine with the hitch mounted behind the axle (it's actually about in the middle of the bed that way.).
Photos of our B&W Patriot hitch for our Escape and also the standard Scamp hitch from when we had a Scamp 19.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch in bed.jpg   Hitch view from tailgate.jpg  

Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote