Plan to Roam US in 13 footer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Pete53 has a 17' Burro for sale in Iowa
Burro is still for sale. Located in Western Iowa. Our long winter is almost over and spring camping is coming up!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Pete53 has a 17' Burro for sale in Iowa
Burro is still for sale. Located in Western Iowa. Our long winter is almost over and spring camping is coming up!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rro-72345.html
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #23

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Looking for 13' Burro or ?
Idaho
Roger H: I was hoping to stay in the 13’ range. I don’t really want or need a bigger trailer (except for the bed issue we are discussing). I have limited space to park it at home. Sleep, sit at the table to eat, read, laptop. No kids, few visitors (as yet). Very simple needs. Minimal storage space required. "Less is more" (see pic)... but as you all suggest, I should to get inside various models to see if I am wrong here.

And many, many thanks for the Craigslist advice.

I have been watching Pete53's 17' Burro near Omaha, right on my I-80 route east. Its beautiful, but again I feel its too big for me.

Very kind of you Julie N… was hoping (dreaming) to travel there with a trailer, stay east of the Carmel (mom) and Zionsville area in a campground. This was either getting one around here or on the way. But I think this is not going to happen as fast as I had hoped. Measured steps. I may take you up on a peek at yours. Thank you.

Lisa in FL: Sadly, Shorton14’s (and Pete53’s) are way out of my range financially. I’m more in the 1970-80s vintage that needs some TLC.

I’m handy and my work is carpentry. I want the trailer as stock as possible but I could see getting an Egg which is above a project trailer (maybe build a longer bed). But somehow though, retrofits never look quite as good as factory.

Except, the owners of this rig (Marshmallow) did well and made theirs very clean.. austere/plain. I like it... yet the finished project (sold recently) was, once again, past my budget:

98point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #24

Bruce, there isn't any noticeable difference between a 13' and 17' in driving, parking, or in storing it. There's a HUGE difference in "livability' especially if you're going to plan to be on the road for weeks at a time. The ability to use a front dinette as your living space and keep a bed made up on the rear dinette alone is a huge advantage. As a tall guy, I can tell you that I end up really feeling cramped in a 13' trailer (as I've said in other places, I'm a slow learner. I've had several 13' trailers; two Scamps and a U-Haul.

If your tow vehicle will tow 3500 lbs, there's no reason to limit yourself to a 13'. If, otoh, you're restricted to 1500 or 2000 lbs, then you're stuck.

As I mentioned though, there are a few 14' Burro Widebodies out there, and they come up for sale from time to time.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #25

Idaho
Lisa in FL: I went to www.govplanet.com as you suggested. Seems like its all military vehicles. Is this the site you meant? Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Idaho
Roger H: I got to say, you sure are experienced on this topic. I appreciate you staying with me on this.

With several 13’s to your credit, and being tall, and pointing out that there is little difference in exterior size, etc… I must heed your advice as I am a slow learner as well. I will start looking at 17’s. Pete53’s is wonderful, and available, and directly on my route, I just can’t afford it.

I have 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. 6 cylinder. Should be no issue towing it.

Thank you Roger.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Bruce, there isn't any noticeable difference between a 13' and 17' in driving, parking, or in storing it.
There is a HUGE difference. The longer the trailer is, the easier it is to back up.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I spent a couple years trying to find a 13' Scamp that wasn't project. I found a few but the price was pretty close to the price of a new one. I ended up opting for new and choosing the options I wanted instead accepting others options. Also post fire (late 2006 and later) have more head room.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #29

Idaho
Glad for all this feedback.

sokhapkin: Luckily, I’m pretty good at backing small trailers up… knock wood… from collecting wood, firewood that is. As you know, use only the mirrors.

I’ve been searching for a 13’, now wondering if I’ll regret it (shoulda got bigger) you have 16’ - does it suit you?

Byron Kinnaman: A couple of years looking!? Oh my gosh!. You have 13” any regrets on size? Thanks for "late '06 and later" headroom info.

And the entry level price - "champagne taste on a beer budget" might apply to me here.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98point6 View Post
I’ve been searching for a 13’, now wondering if I’ll regret it (shoulda got bigger) you have 16’ - does it suit you?
To me 16' is a perfect size if you travel alone or for a couple. Scamp layout 4 is designed "to sleep 4", but in reality it's a trailer to comfortable accommodate 2 people.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #31

Idaho
Just for fun! Posted in my Thread "I ♥ Burro" in Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers:

FiberglassRV members: My plan is to come to you to buy your trailer as stated in my introduction. But here is another option…

Come visit the Northwest in your trailer... I’ll buy it and you fly home. See Idaho!

Fishing: Silver Creek Preserve is a world renown blue ribbon trout habitat. 30 miles from me.
Skiing: Sun Valley Ski Resort (Hemingway, Cooper, McQueen) 11 miles away. Bus Stop film (M. Monroe)
Rafting: North Fork of the Salmon River (Lewis & Clark) 2 hours away.

Boise, ID (2.5 hours) voted #2 Best Place to Raise a Family (Forbes)
Meridian, ID voted CNN Money #1 America's Best Places to Live (same, 2.5hrs)
I’m four hours from Yellowstone.

And if that's not enough... Evel Knievel's Snake River canyon jump site (1 hour).

Wilderness, Cowboys, Moose/Elk, Mountain Biking, Horseback Riding.

Okay… you get the idea. More?... Sun Valley Bucket List
Old 03-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
You might try the website
Searchtempest
Enter your zip code
Distance willing to travel
What your looking for ( ie scamp)
Hit enter.... It will search all craigslist ads and ebay
But as others have warned watch for scams etc
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #33

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
To me 16' is a perfect size if you travel alone or for a couple. Scamp layout 4 is designed "to sleep 4", but in reality it's a trailer to comfortable accommodate 2 people.
Much appreciated sokhapkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
You might try the website
Searchtempest
Enter your zip code
Distance willing to travel
What your looking for ( ie scamp)
Hit enter.... It will search all craigslist ads and ebay
But as others have warned watch for scams etc
Good luck
Yes, sir... I use that and my-craigs-finder.com. Nothing in my area (ID, OR, MT, WA) but I'll keep at it. And when I say "nothing", I should clarify that means within my budget which I am beginning to feel is unrealistic. Thank you for your comment alan H.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Glad for all this feedback.

sokhapkin: Luckily, I’m pretty good at backing small trailers up… knock wood… from collecting wood, firewood that is. As you know, use only the mirrors.

Byron Kinnaman: A couple of years looking!? Oh my gosh!. You have 13” any regrets on size? Thanks for "late '06 and later" headroom info.

And the entry level price - "champagne taste on a beer budget" might apply to me here.
No regrets. My wife and I spend close to 90 days every winter in the Scamp. We sleep on the dinette/bed using sleeping bags. We just got home from a trip half way across the US. We live in Oregon and went to New Orleans. Last stop before home was Death Valley (almost 40 days there)
We've talked about bigger, but the 13' is just right for us.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #35

Quote:
I should clarify that means within my budget which I am beginning to feel is unrealistic.
Welcome to the world of molded fiberglass trailers. There was a time ten years ago when you could buy fiberglass trailers all day long for $1500... and almost ANY used fiberglass trailer for under $3,000. I fear those days are long gone. With the price of new 13' and 16' trailers now heading north of $20k, the prices for used trailers are really climbing; especially those that aren't "fixer-uppers" or have already been restored.

Sometimes reality causes us to re-evaluate what is "realistic."

Quite frankly, this is the time to buy a used motorhome. The used motorhome market is soft... and there are good buys to be had.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We're two adults and one golden retriever. We have a 13' Trillium. The only advantage to the Trillium is the windows. No bathroom just a porta potty. The rear dinette stays a permanent bed. In the front there is a small dinnette. In a 13' trailer a bathroom replaces the front dinette. The rear dinette must be taken down for sleeping. If I wanted a bathroom, I'd buy a 16' to have a permanent bed and front dinette.

To increase the bed size many of us have rotated the sleeping position by building an extension. Here's my version.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-66376.html

You might want to call Scamp to check but I believe you can still get 13' for about $10k. Bare bones but if you're handy you can add what you need. If you can live with simple it might be a better choice than paying for used with options and mods you may not want. And on the new ones there's a full size bed. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #37

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I went to High School in Yale, MI in the late 60's early 70's. Motor Home production was HUGE business in Brown City, just around the corner from Yale. I didn't realize, however, that they were molded fiberglass.

I've wondered why no one made a molded fiberglass body to mount on a chassis, now I know - they did.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I've wondered why no one made a molded fiberglass body to mount on a chassis, now I know - they did.
There actually were several manufacturers of all molded motorhomes. Everything from Bigfoot to Scamp. Yep, Scamp made about a dozen motorhomes. Finding one of those is a true FIND!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #39

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Welcome to the world of molded fiberglass trailers. There was a time ten years ago when you could buy fiberglass trailers all day long for $1500... and almost ANY used fiberglass trailer for under $3,000. I fear those days are long gone. With the price of new 13' and 16' trailers now heading north of $20k, the prices for used trailers are really climbing; especially those that aren't "fixer-uppers" or have already been restored.

Sometimes reality causes us to re-evaluate what is "realistic."
As well as being a slow learner, I’m always late to the party.

What you say is is undeniably true. With what I intended to spend, I thought I could get a trailer that was all there yet needed some updating at the low end of my budget with a well used but not dowdy trailer, ready to camp, at the higher end.

It appears that my high end is a fixer up, a project trailer. Yes, I’m now in re-evatuate phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
No regrets. My wife and I spend close to 90 days every winter in the Scamp. We sleep on the dinette/bed using sleeping bags. We just got home from a trip half way across the US. We live in Oregon and went to New Orleans. Last stop before home was Death Valley (almost 40 days there)
We've talked about bigger, but the 13' is just right for us.
Forty days in Death Valley. that is an accomplishment. It sounds like you really like the 13’ and living out of it in general. I remain interested in getting one yet your previous comment of taking two years to find one is likely going to apply to me as well. I’m also realizing that I may not be able to afford this lifestyle the way I had envisioned, not yet.

Many thanks for you both and ALL of the welcomed remarks on this thread.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #40

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
If I wanted a bathroom, I'd buy a 16' to have a permanent bed and front dinette.

To increase the bed size many of us have rotated the sleeping position by building an extension.
I don't need a bathroom, porta-potty for nocturnal nature calls.

Yes, excellent. I would do an extension.

You may have been reading my concerns over affordability. This will no doubt keep me in the 13' size range as well as what I blindly figured I need to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I went to High School in Yale, MI in the late 60's early 70's. Motor Home production was HUGE business in Brown City, just around the corner from Yale.
We were nearly neighbors. I went to Port Huron Northern. Yale was/is a nice area. I didn't realize the extent of the RV business in Brown City. Except that my dad worked there... I was regrettably "oblivious".

He went on from Travco to buy a struggling RV factory in Fort Gratiot named Tour-A-Home (non-fiberglass). Then the oil-embargo of the late 70s hit (remember waiting in long lines at the gas pumps?). The industry tanked, he lost his shirt.