Plan to Roam US in 13 footer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #15

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
You could try the Scamp factory. I think they are in the Midwest, so near you. They might have a trade in from someone going to a different size fbgrv. I also saw a couple Scamps on this site www.govplanet.com. I think they guaranteed inspection.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Looking for 13' Burro or ?
Idaho
Donna D and Jon in AZ: Good advice. I’ve done Craigslist for awhile and know that is where a ton of scammers lurk. Buying a trailer there could be a “perfect storm” (desirable item that buyers often jump at) where it could end badly if seller is unscrupulous. Ideally, finding a trailer connected with this group would be optimum. Great advice - have someone local check it out. I’m offering a finder’s reward per a sale (again, I’m on high alert if its through CL) for spotting an egg, this fee could apply to someone doing a diagnostic (more great advice) visit as well. “Floor”, thanks.

Appreciate you pointing out the Buyers Check List location.

“Patience and persistence” you say - gonna keep that front and center.

gordon2: Yeah, I had kinda figured sleeping at a diagonal was a given, like stooping while awake. Thanks much for relaying your first hand experience. Are there larger beds in 13ft. models? Part of me thinks I could tough it out (sleep fetal and/or toes jammed in corners - you've no doubt tested those options)… but weeks on end (maybe not). Hmmm… finding a Burro, Scamp, etc to test… they just don’t show up around here.

A FiberglassRV app... how cool!!!

Lisa in FL: I'll check with the Scamp factory and govplanet - Wow, many thanks.

You folks are very generous with your time to a newbie.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #17

Florida
Shorten 146 has a trailer for sale in Ontario. With the current exchange of 1usd to 1.3ish Cad, might be an option for you. A larger trailer could also give you bigger bed/mod options

Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Florida
Sorry, the post is by Shorton146

Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Indiana
We're in Indianapolis and have a Scamp 13'. If you're here visiting family and would like to look at ours, we'd be glad to show it to you.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I am six foot even and I sleep diagonally in my Scamp 16 bed to be comfortable. While many people do sleep two people in this bed, I don't think that would work so well for me since I stretch out.

At 6'3" I would expect the bed to be a big issue for you. You should lie down in the bed to see how it fits and also consider the larger beds available on some models.
At 6'5" tall, and a veteran of five Scamps over the years, allow me to direct you to either a Burro 17' Widebody (there are a few 14' widebodies out there as well from when they were being built in Escondido) or the Eggcamper.

You can "make do" in a Scamp Deluxe dinette bed, but you can sleep comfortably in a Burro or Eggcamper. The Burro 17 I had was one of the best beds I've ever slept in. Jim Palmer, the designer and owner of Eggcamper made his basic design after the Burro 17 widebody, so it has the wide bed too.

Craigslist is a great place to do business, actually. I've bought and sold a number of trailers there. The secret is to make phone contact and do your due diligence. A legitimate seller will be more than happy to answer all your questions, send you extra photos and chat with you on the phone. Ask detailed questions that a trailer owner will know the answers to, but a scammer won't be able to. Likely, you'll never get a scammer to talk to you over the phone anyway as legitimate phone numbers are traceable and most scams originate off-shore with VOIP numbers.

If you have any doubt about the deal for any reason, just don't do it. It's that simple. Most legitimate sellers will hold the trailer for a small deposit via PayPal. Most I've bought from have actually declined to take a deposit with my assurance that I'd be there in driving time. I've declined deposits as well with the assurance that the person was "on the way," even from upstate New York.

That personal contact is important on any Craigslist sale. It doesn't guarantee you won't be defrauded, or that the trailer is in the condition described, but you can go a long way to working out any questions you may have.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

Florida
Pete53 has a 17' Burro for sale in Iowa
Burro is still for sale. Located in Western Iowa. Our long winter is almost over and spring camping is coming up!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Pete53 has a 17' Burro for sale in Iowa
Burro is still for sale. Located in Western Iowa. Our long winter is almost over and spring camping is coming up!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rro-72345.html
Old 03-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #23

Idaho
Roger H: I was hoping to stay in the 13’ range. I don’t really want or need a bigger trailer (except for the bed issue we are discussing). I have limited space to park it at home. Sleep, sit at the table to eat, read, laptop. No kids, few visitors (as yet). Very simple needs. Minimal storage space required. "Less is more" (see pic)... but as you all suggest, I should to get inside various models to see if I am wrong here.

And many, many thanks for the Craigslist advice.

I have been watching Pete53's 17' Burro near Omaha, right on my I-80 route east. Its beautiful, but again I feel its too big for me.

Very kind of you Julie N… was hoping (dreaming) to travel there with a trailer, stay east of the Carmel (mom) and Zionsville area in a campground. This was either getting one around here or on the way. But I think this is not going to happen as fast as I had hoped. Measured steps. I may take you up on a peek at yours. Thank you.

Lisa in FL: Sadly, Shorton14’s (and Pete53’s) are way out of my range financially. I’m more in the 1970-80s vintage that needs some TLC.

I’m handy and my work is carpentry. I want the trailer as stock as possible but I could see getting an Egg which is above a project trailer (maybe build a longer bed). But somehow though, retrofits never look quite as good as factory.

Except, the owners of this rig (Marshmallow) did well and made theirs very clean.. austere/plain. I like it... yet the finished project (sold recently) was, once again, past my budget:

Old 03-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #24

Iowa
Bruce, there isn't any noticeable difference between a 13' and 17' in driving, parking, or in storing it. There's a HUGE difference in "livability' especially if you're going to plan to be on the road for weeks at a time. The ability to use a front dinette as your living space and keep a bed made up on the rear dinette alone is a huge advantage. As a tall guy, I can tell you that I end up really feeling cramped in a 13' trailer (as I've said in other places, I'm a slow learner. I've had several 13' trailers; two Scamps and a U-Haul.

If your tow vehicle will tow 3500 lbs, there's no reason to limit yourself to a 13'. If, otoh, you're restricted to 1500 or 2000 lbs, then you're stuck.

As I mentioned though, there are a few 14' Burro Widebodies out there, and they come up for sale from time to time.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #25

Idaho
Lisa in FL: I went to www.govplanet.com as you suggested. Seems like its all military vehicles. Is this the site you meant? Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Idaho
Roger H: I got to say, you sure are experienced on this topic. I appreciate you staying with me on this.

With several 13’s to your credit, and being tall, and pointing out that there is little difference in exterior size, etc… I must heed your advice as I am a slow learner as well. I will start looking at 17’s. Pete53’s is wonderful, and available, and directly on my route, I just can’t afford it.

I have 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. 6 cylinder. Should be no issue towing it.

Thank you Roger.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Bruce, there isn't any noticeable difference between a 13' and 17' in driving, parking, or in storing it.
There is a HUGE difference. The longer the trailer is, the easier it is to back up.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I spent a couple years trying to find a 13' Scamp that wasn't project. I found a few but the price was pretty close to the price of a new one. I ended up opting for new and choosing the options I wanted instead accepting others options. Also post fire (late 2006 and later) have more head room.