Plan to Roam US in 13 footer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #41

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
I think a handy guy like you can easily make a 13 work. After all, they're 10 ft long inside. If you use a cube fridge, put it in the closet, cut the kitchen cabinet to half it's depth, you could put a 7' long bed, maybe a bit narrow for your tastes, but it is do able. Many people here have talked about sleeping perpendicular to the axle to make an unlevel parking situation more comfortable. You could start a trend!

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #42

Florida
Here's one you might pursue. It's in Alberta, CA....but it fits your budget, if it's still for sale.

So I'm putting up my boler, it started off as a frame off restro in December and sadly it's still off the frame lol
This
I've had the frame repaired, had to pay someone else to do it due to no time,

Anyways needs to be put on a flat bed or small pull behind trailer, comes with shell door new hinges, fresh water tank original faucet NEW CUSHIONS. And of course the frame, losing big time from what I put into it but it's near August with no progress

1000$

Call or txt
587-984-3708
Email
Joeydunbar@hotmail.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #43

Florida
OP is Jdunbar

Old 03-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #44

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
1984 13' Casita Travel Trailer | Placerville, CO | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Not my trailer, but this one is a Casita in Colorado. Maybe clsoer to your budget? We are a family of four, with a 13 foot scamp with front bunks and while it is cozy, we love it and don't feel the need for something bigger. Granted, the tallest person is only 6 foot tall, but he sleeps comfortably on the dinette with me And the longest we spent at one stretch was 11 days, so not full timing by any stretch. Best of luck on your search!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #45

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Looking for 13' Burro or ?
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Here's one you might pursue. It's in Alberta, CA....but it fits your budget, if it's still for sale.
I just looked at his build thread: Let the fun begin! 74 boler rebuild.

I've certainly been whining enough about the money side of my hunt for a trailer, and this falls into the category of a prospect, but trailering it from Canada since its in two pieces might just be too much for even me to handle and stomach.

Appreciate your help, enthusiasm, and willingness to help a newcomer Lisa in FL!!!
98point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #46

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
1984 13' Casita Travel Trailer | Placerville, CO | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Not my trailer, but this one is a Casita in Colorado. Maybe clsoer to your budget? We are a family of four, with a 13 foot scamp with front bunks and while it is cozy, we love it and don't feel the need for something bigger. Granted, the tallest person is only 6 foot tall, but he sleeps comfortably on the dinette with me And the longest we spent at one stretch was 11 days, so not full timing by any stretch. Best of luck on your search!
Yes! Been staring at his CL ad all morning. In my range both physically and cash wise. Is the brown wall covering stock?

Not sure why he didn't list a phone number - it looks legit (its got to be), but "emails only ads" always send up a red flag to me. As I imagine you are aware, fiberglass trailers ads are perfect for farming email addresses to provide to spammers.

I'm glad you commented on the size issue. I'm one camper, I can do thirteen feet with a bed modification.

I think I'm getting overwhelmed. Thanks emij.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #47

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98point6 View Post
Yes! Been staring at his CL ad all morning. In my range both physically and cash wise. Is the brown wall covering stock?
I don't think so. It looks like someone covered the walls with floor carpeting. Our 1982 has the ensolite (a vinyl type material) and later ones had/have a thin carpet like covering.

I also prefer to call someone, but sometimes I don't list my number in Craigslist ads, either. I don't like giving out my number on a website that is so very public. I'll often ask for people to email me, and then provide my number once we've established a legitimate interest and are moving forward.

I might ask him to hold it for the time it takes to drive, though, and not send any money, because I worry about stuff like that, too
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #48

Idaho
Quote:
I don't think so. It looks like someone covered the walls with floor carpeting. Our 1982 has the ensolite (a vinyl type material) and later ones had/have a thin carpet like covering.
Its got a case of the uglies inside. And the door looks "suspect".. out at bottom, chain. Someone laid on the caulk pretty thick on that front window.

I agree, it looks real. The spammer versions list the trailer for next to nothing. Funny, I rarely write CL sellers without phone numbers anymore. For ads I run, I "embed" my number in the body, numbers&words. Otherwise I get texts from Uganda.

I sound like a baby. So difficult if not impossible (as stated in early posts) to a diagnosis a vehicle from an armchair. I'm in shock: $4K+ and this as a starting point (Whaaaaa!).

I DO appreciate your help with the referral.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #49

Colorado
Registry
It does look like they replaced both the front and rear windows and the door. The hinges, knob and latch/chain are all odd. Definite cosmetic work needed inside.

I'm the kind of person who just "knows" when something feels right. We spent about three weeks looking for ours, and I stalked the fiberglass 4sale website by the minute. We saw several that we thought, "maybe this could be it" but couldn't quite pull the trigger. When we found ours, we knew it was the right one. It felt right, even just from pictures. Initially the cost was higher than we had wanted to spend, but we were able to get it reduced. We didn't want a project other than easy cosmetic stuff, so in the end it was worth it to spend a bit more up front and get out camping fairly quickly. We drove nine hours to get it. Be patient!! Yours is out there, just waiting for you to find it!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #50

Idaho
Quote:
It does look like they replaced both the front and rear windows and the door. The hinges, knob and latch/chain are all odd. Definite cosmetic work needed inside.

I'm the kind of person who just "knows" when something feels right. We spent about three weeks looking for ours, and I stalked the fiberglass 4sale website by the minute. We saw several that we thought, "maybe this could be it" but couldn't quite pull the trigger. When we found ours, we knew it was the right one. It felt right, even just from pictures. Initially the cost was higher than we had wanted to spend, but we were able to get it reduced. We didn't want a project other than easy cosmetic stuff, so in the end it was worth it to spend a bit more up front and get out camping fairly quickly. We drove nine hours to get it. Be patient!! Yours is out there, just waiting for you to find it!
Excellent advice. "I stalked the fiberglass 4sale website by the minute". You know it. Ha ha!

I'm looking for what you were looking for. I know I'll raise my budget, or retreat with my tail between my legs.

This one doesn't feel right. Or am I missing something? emij... thank you.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #51

Florida
This little Casita looks like a great deal. Don't be put off by ugly, that can be changed. Look for sound structure.. frame, axle, shell, and working appliances. A working three way fridge can cost up to 1,000 or more by itself, and it has a solar set up too! Another 500$ . Sorry if you are being overwhelmed. I enjoy my Boler so MUCH, I am eager to help someone experience the same. It is worth the work. I got my gem in 1999 for 2,700$ and it will soon be my home, so they are worth the effort. I would be happy to check one out in FL for you. Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #52

Florida
P.S. the door fit is a common problem, and can be fixed, but can indicate frame issues.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #53

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don't discount the "drive by" method too, Bruce. Many of us have found campers sitting in yards that obviously haven't moved in years, and just stopping in to chat. Most of the time folks aren't interested in selling... but it only takes one.

About 15 years ago, I found a '61 Airstream Bambi 16' sitting at the back of a used car lot. I stopped in and looked at it. It'd been traded in on a car. I asked the owner of the lot what he wanted for it... and he started by saying "those old Airstreams, they're worth a lot you know." I figured I was sunk... but I asked "ok, what's 'a lot?'" He told me to make him an offer, so I offered $700. His eyes got big and said "oh no... I can't take that..." I asked him what he could take, and he said... how 'bout $1100. It had a flat tire, and I told him I'd take it at $1100, but he had to fix the flat. The Bambi, of course, is one of the the most rare of Airstreams and after doing a little repair and cosmetic work to it (and using it for three years) I sold it for $7500. Today, that trailer in the same condition would probably sell for $20k+...

But the point is that if I hadn't stopped in and asked, I'd never have bought a Bambi. Of course, in 20/20 hindsight, I'd never should have sold it either... but that's another tale of woe entirely...

I've bought several of the other fiberglass trailers I've bought from 3x5 cards stuck on bulletin boards, drive-bys, and being persistent in investigating trailers I've found parked in out-of-the-way places. "Barn finds" as they're known are where you'll find the good deals.

I'm not as excited about finding, buying and selling trailers as I once was as I've largely abandoned the tow-behind for mohos that are a LOT more convenient for the way I travel, but I know where there are a Sac City Burro 13, an Argosy 20, and an Avion 34 that are all candidates for a 'stop by and see' visit if I was interested. Those trailers are all within a 20 mile radius of me. They're out there, you just have to find them.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #54

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
This little Casita looks like a great deal. Don't be put off by ugly, that can be changed. Look for sound structure.. frame, axle, shell, and working appliances. A working three way fridge can cost up to 1,000 or more by itself, and it has a solar set up too! Another 500$ . Sorry if you are being overwhelmed. I enjoy my Boler so MUCH, I am eager to help someone experience the same.
I'm sending the seller an email. What can I loose, maybe everything to gain. Your door/frame info is great.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #55

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Don't discount the "drive by" method too, Bruce. Many of us have found campers sitting in yards that obviously haven't moved in years, and just stopping in to chat. Most of the time folks aren't interested in selling... but it only takes one.
Great story about the Bambi! Its kinda the Holy Grail of RVs.

Yes, "Freestyle" as The Pickers coined it. Love it, do it.

This is a fantastic area, even though the population is low, for vehicle finds. Its so dry that extreme rust and rot are seldom. There are some cool old cars in fields, beside barns... in my native Michigan, they would have been rusted away long ago. If old cars interest you, do a Google Earth on L & L Classic Auto Salvage in Gooding ID.

I find and restore old fat-tire bicycles (oilylloyds.com) so I'm familiar with cards on coffee shop walls. Had some fun finding old Schwinns owned by equally old ranchers. But good you reminded me to up-my-game here.

You mention a Burro. Hmmmm. Finders reward here. I'm kidding, just thankful for the help and your wonderful stories.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #56

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
They're out there, you just have to find them.
There's a Scamp 16' in a different junkyard about an hour from here. I saw it on a Sunday so I couldn't get in or talk to someone about it. It must have rolled over in a crash since there's a eight foot crack and separation, up and over to the roof, on the front left. I assume being that big of a booboo, it had to be a structural issue as well as cosmetic one.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98point6 View Post
I'm sending the seller an email. What can I loose, maybe everything to gain. Your door/frame info is great.
About the sculpted carpet on the walls... It was what Casita used back then. Changing it is a big project. You can clean it up- it actually looks in pretty good condition- but you'll have to decide if you can live with it or not. The windows can be removed and reinstalled, not a deal-breaker. The door could be more of an issue. Also, beware of any softness in the floor. Casitas have a full fiberglass bathtub floor with wood encased inside. If that wood has been compromised, replacing it is another even bigger project.

Advice… set up a junk e-mail account just for this trailer search.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #58

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
About the sculpted carpet on the walls... It was what Casita used back then.
I love that I learn something new here all of the time! I had NO IDEA that was what Casita used on the walls. That is an unfortunate choice Love the amount of knowledge that you have regarding these eggs!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I love that I learn something new here all of the time! I had NO IDEA that was what Casita used on the walls. That is an unfortunate choice Love the amount of knowledge that you have regarding these eggs!
There were two colors I have seen, one blue-ish and the orange-y color in the advertised unit.

That's the problem with Casita's decision to use residential-style carpeting to line their shells. Carpet styles change. No doubt the sculpted carpet was very stylish in the 80's.

I wonder if anyone ever thought these little eggs would still be so popular thirty years later...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #60

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I wonder if anyone ever thought these little eggs would still be so popular thirty years later...
Jon, considering that even Airstream just about went under by the late '80s, I don't think anyone had any inkling back then of what the RV market would look like today. Just try to find an '80s Airstream trailer today. Their production numbers were practically in the negative digits. I think they built more motorhomes in the '80s than trailers.

The RV markets have been heavily influenced by the retail price of fuel, and the availability and price of money. When the recession hit in '08, it hit the motorhome industry really hard. Except for the giants and the boutique manufacturers, very few of the marques that were really large are even around today. Most dealerships that dealt in class A coaches closed up by 2010. Class B and C motorhome sales have exploded at the expense of the Class A market.

The market for travel trailers has been all over the map, but its interesting to see lots of new molded fiberglass startups as the demand for smaller and lighter trailers has increased.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote