Planning on 6 months in a camper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' scamp
Indiana
Bob, you are right!
I just can't stand the thought of throwing money away on rent, which is why I am so seriously considering the idea of a camper. I close on selling my house in the morning… so hopefully I can find a worthy candidate in the next 30 days!

As for the diesel truck, I am looking for one to buy outright. I specifically want a 96-98 dodge with the 12 valve cummins turbo diesel… those have depreciated to about the level they are going to at this point. They still get a pretty easy 20mpg and are all mechanical… which equates to easy to work on. I currently have 3 vehicles and a motorcycle, so I am simply going to consolidate two of those into a used truck so I have it for those times that I would like to have a truck. It wouldn't be a daily driver.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Where are you going to keep your 2 vehicles and motorcycle after selling your house?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #17

Indiana
Luckily, my dad is not selling his house.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #18

Indiana
Went to look at (and brought home) a 2000 model Scamp today that was about 2 hours away from me… it had been on Craigslist for about 30 min by the time I saw it. Luckily, I was the first one to call because she received several call following mine.

It has factory roof mount AC, furnace, bunk beds, awning, good tires, and is in pretty good condition! It needs some maintenance, updates, and tlc… but i came in significantly under budget and should be able to afford to fix what needs to be fixed as well as add solar power or a generator for less than what I originally planned on spending.

Let the fun begin!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivial View Post
Let the fun begin!
... Absolutely, positively.... and make Memories every single MILE
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Went to look at (and brought home) a 2000 model Scamp today that was about 2 hours away from me… it had been on Craigslist for about 30 min by the time I saw it. Luckily, I was the first one to call because she received several call following mine.

It has factory roof mount AC, furnace, bunk beds, awning, good tires, and is in pretty good condition! It needs some maintenance, updates, and tlc… but i came in significantly under budget and should be able to afford to fix what needs to be fixed as well as add solar power or a generator for less than what I originally planned on spending.

Let the fun begin!
Your experience is very typical, especially at this time of the year. Good deals on FGRV's often don't last past the first person to get to the seller.

Now you get to learn about Generators.... The Honda 2000EU is the prime choice of RVer's, with all other inverter/generator units falling well behind in 2nd - 10th place. But the bad news, unless that existing a/c unit is 10,000 BTU's or less, the 2000EU generator usually won't run it. It's not running current that's the problem, it's what's called "locked rotor current" that's the killer. That's the massive amount of current required to restart the compressor when it is already in use and there is pressure in the system. Anyway, when you are ready for that step, let us know what make and model a/c you have and what generator(s) you are looking at.
BTW: Those cheapy work site type generators are so noisy that they aren't allowed in most camp grounds and where they are allowed, you won't want to be parked overnight. Forgot to mention... don't even think about running the A/C off of the battery via an inverter, unless you have shore power, you will need a generator for a/c operation.

ALSO: "Good Tires" means less than 6 years old, check the dates on the tires, appearance, tread etc doesn't count near as much. And as oft mentioned, unless you have actual documentation that the work was recently done, get the wheel bearings repacked before any trips of over a few miles.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like you got a great deal! Hope you'll post pics and let us know how this works out. After last winter in the Midwest, the idea of full-timing in a 13' Scamp seems a bit crazy... But then, I've always thought a touch of insanity is part of the job description for a youth pastor LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Went to look at (and brought home) a 2000 model Scamp today. Let the fun begin!
Congratulations. I don't think you will need a diesel 3/4 ton to pull her though.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #23

Indiana
Thanks all!

I'll get some pics up on Monday when I get back home. The AC is a Coleman Mach something or another. It also has a vent in front of it that may get a fan installation.

As for the 3/4 ton diesel... Do I need one? No. Will it haul more and get better mpg than my Cherokee? Yes.
Really, I just want a truck... Need has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
As for the 3/4 ton diesel... Do I need one? No. Will it haul more and get better mpg than my Cherokee? Yes.
Really, I just want a truck... Need has nothing to do with it.

I understand, I intend to have a truck around until I leave this place. I am not sure a HD diesel makes economic sense when you factor in how much more expensive diesel is (around 50 cents a gallon here), and the more expensive oil changes, oil filters, fuel filters, etc., for the diesel truck. The engine may last a lot longer requiring fewer repairs, or it may have very expensive repairs. Then there is the harsher ride in a 3/4 ton truck, but I am not one to talk. I have an old one ton sitting on the farm and I will run to town in it just cause I like driving the old beast. In granny low it will pull down the gates of hell.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Good Thinking

Our daughter and son-in-law bought a trailer (more like Ricky and Lucy's in Long, Long Trailer) for the time he was posted at Fort Bliss in El Paso. When they were ready to move, they sold the trailer and had money for the down payment on their present condo.

I see you got your Scamp. You don't say where in the US you want to stay. Of course states in the southern tier won't have the winter cold the northern tier will. Although we have woken up to a frozen fountain in Yuma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0446.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	74338

As far as that goes, we experienced 25ºF at Bryce Canyon in July!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Bob, you are right!
I just can't stand the thought of throwing money away on rent, which is why I am so seriously considering the idea of a camper. I close on selling my house in the morning… so hopefully I can find a worthy candidate in the next 30 days!

As for the diesel truck, I am looking for one to buy outright. I specifically want a 96-98 dodge with the 12 valve cummins turbo diesel… those have depreciated to about the level they are going to at this point. They still get a pretty easy 20mpg and are all mechanical… which equates to easy to work on. I currently have 3 vehicles and a motorcycle, so I am simply going to consolidate two of those into a used truck so I have it for those times that I would like to have a truck. It wouldn't be a daily driver.

The Dodge pickups in those years had a very reliable engine but I'm told if you do need work it gets expensive. The big issue is those trucks rust very badly. Be sure to get one from a rust free state like Arizona or California.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #27

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I am curious what it needs and your plans and priorities to update it. How about posting some pictures too.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #28

Indiana
Here it is airing out. I have no idea how to work any of this stuff, but how hard can it be... Right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112552.289648.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	74423Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112567.642036.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	74424Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112578.671060.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB