Planning on 6 months in a camper? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #29

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
It looks pretty nice--like it needs nothing. I suppose you will make some modifications, we all do. I wanted my camper to be something I could live in while working away from home. So I decided to move into it and make changes to things that annoyed me--starting with easy things like LED lights. It took a few months, and now only have very minor annoyances--for example I added some indirect lighting, which I really like, over the bed but have to get up to switch it off--which I really hate, and plan to put those LED strips on two-way switches.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #30

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Matt,
Better to be safe and understand the do-and-donts of your camper. Why don't you check with Scamp for a manual. Also, there is a Scamp manual here in our document section. Maybe it has similar controls to yours.
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp Manual

Congratulations on your purchase. I looks like a nice little camper.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Looks like a great start for your own little camper.

BUT... I am a little concerned about the pic showing the back of the refrigerator.

It looks unlike any LP plumbing I have ever seen in a SCAMP and I am guessing that it was added when that Catalytic wall heater was added by a previous owner. I counted about 6 fittings all in the area of the refrigerators flame box and no shut-off valve in sight. I would strongly suggest having an LP professional look at that and suggest any corrections they might see are needed.

Also, Catalytic heaters almost always require that a window or vent be open when being used. If it wasn't included, post the make and model number here and I am sure someone will have an owners manual to share.

And, if you want to add hot water, post another request. I have installed pressure water systems and water heaters in a 13' SCAMP and several other 13'ers and can share some tips on that as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
That looks like the "normal" number of connections sort of. But the arrangement is different than mine that is for sure. I think I have 2 T's in that compartment. One goes to the fridge. One goes to the stove. I would assume a hot water heater might add another connection.

The other thing that is different is my line is running along the floor (along with the wires) and the T's branch "up" and line continues along the wall to get to heater. Don't know if this would have been stock on your year/model or not but it would seem safer than running the connections up the side of the burner.

I also noticed the line running back and down through the floor appears flattened a bit from the bend. Not desirable or indicative of good workmanship.

Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude (or even with little) can do a lot of the work and maintenance if they are willing to learn how. If you have never used a pop rivet or removed one, it's not hard but you do need to know how if your going to do it well.

Practice on scrap, have someone show you, watch YouTube videos. Whatever is appropriate to the task. Electrical and propane I'm not sure I would take on with no knowledge and a YouTube video given a choice.

Camper equipment has certain safety requirements, or knowledge required for safe and successful operation. So if the equipment or RV's are new to you consulting manuals, asking questions, and seeking the advice of professionals is how you gain that knowledge. Or at least how you gain it without a lot of painful and often expensive experience.

If you have never installed a propane line getting someone that knows how to come over and act as a mentor is a good idea. Once you know how that knowledge is yours forever.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #33

Name: Serena
Trailer: Burro
New Hampshire
My Father lived in a 12 ft burro for 5 years. He loved it. I would suggest if you go that rout change the bunks into a dinette so you have some where to sit and a place to sleep. He did not have heat so it did get cold in the Maine winters. We drove cross country in a TAb and that was a step up and everyone loved it. But it was a pain to have a combined eating sleeping area. Good Luck have fun.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinellc View Post
My Father lived in a 12 ft burro for 5 years. He loved it. I would suggest if you go that rout change the bunks into a dinette so you have some where to sit and a place to sleep. He did not have heat so it did get cold in the Maine winters. We drove cross country in a TAb and that was a step up and everyone loved it. But it was a pain to have a combined eating sleeping area. Good Luck have fun.
Good point, a lot of folks have posted on doing a front dining modification for the very reason you state.

No heat? Maine winters? And it got cold? And the Award for understatement in a forum post goes to....

Your dad was one hardy camper I'm guessing.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #35

Name: walmart
Trailer: 2006 casita 17' spirit deluxe
California
Congratulations Matt! I enjoyed how you went from going to look for a trailer to....I just bought one! That was quick. I know that when I bought my trailer I saw it on Clist at 11:30am and at 2pm gave the seller a cashier's check!
I'm happy for you. You did good!.