Possible new owner, need advice! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 13' U-Haul CT
Ohio
Possible new owner, need advice!

Hi, I am looking at buying a 1984 13 ft fiberglass U-haul. I have owned one other pull behind before but it was a 1964 Apache, very different. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to look for when I go and check out this camper. Here is the craigslist post, does it seem like a good deal? Thanks and I'm excited to be joining the club soon!

1984 FIBERGLASS U-HAUL (UHAUL) RV 13' CAMPER TRAILER

Andrew
awroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
This looks like a very nice unit and the price is appropriate. The window AC may bother some folks, so check to make sure it is securely installed or easily removable during towing. The axle looks like it is still good (based on tire clearance) and the hubs/bearings are sealed, so you don't have that worry. Check for major window leak signs inside, but leaks can be fixed. The floors in these are heavy duty, but check for severe soft spots indicating rot. Also look underneath to make sure the frame doesn't have rust holes through the metal.

These are fun to use and not hard to work on if some minor repairs are needed. Have fun looking. Looks like a good deal!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with what Kevin said above. It looks most original (good). The counter opening has been cut larger to install the refrigerator and microwave. It is likely the refrigerator is 110 volts and won't be good for boon docking, but OK if you camp where you can plug in.

Check the floor for rot by looking from under the trailer. Make sure that you have all the glass to the rear window, so that when the AC comes out, you can close the window tightly. Check the door latch for proper operation, as originals are scarce and pricey. Look at the tail light lenses closely, as these are no longer available.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Ohio
Thanks for all the helpful information. One known issue is the owner before the current owner noticed the windows were leaking so he caulked the windows completely closed. I found a thread somewhere on this forum discussing installing new windows and someone still has some passenger side windows available so I might be able to install those.

Ill make sure to check for floor rot and see if they have the glass where the AC is and also the tail lights.

Thanks and ill let update this post to let you know if I'm a new owner and hopefully some pictures!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awroyce View Post
.........One known issue is the owner before the current owner noticed the windows were leaking so he caulked the windows completely closed. .....................
Windows can be rebuilt if all the glass and metal parts are there. Passenger side windows are fleetingly available. If you need one, order quickly.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Windows can be rebuilt if all the glass and metal parts are there. Passenger side windows are fleetingly available. If you need one, order quickly.
Yes all the parts are there they were just leaking, you think I should just try and repair them or should I order 2 new ones(a user said you can install a passenger on the driver just the slide will be reversed.)?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes all the parts are there they were just leaking, you think I should just try and repair them or should I order 2 new ones(a user said you can install a passenger on the driver just the slide will be reversed.)?
For the price, I'd order two new ones. You can resell either the new ones or the old ones in the future.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
For the price, I'd order two new ones. You can resell either the new ones or the old ones in the future.
Tom, can you confirm that these are the right ones? Just want to make sure I don't order the wrong windows. Thanks again for all the help!

Miscellaneous Auto Parts
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Looks to be in really good condition. How is the gelcoat finish is it dull, how about on the inside? Ask about the door hinges, has the modification for the '84 been done? Check the operation of the lock. Also thecheck the stove vent, lights, heater for proper operation. Ask to see that all is in working order. How old are the tires? What is their born date?
Lots of great info on this site. Very helpful knowledgeable people.
Love my little UHaul!!
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, having seen a couple of examples of what these can become with a little work,,, stop fussing and get it. then work hard on it all winter,,,practice with it some,,,and come to our gathering up in michigan next fall. there you will see some awsome uhauls amoungst others.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Tom, can you confirm that these are the right ones? Just want to make sure I don't order the wrong windows. Thanks again for all the help!

Miscellaneous Auto Parts
Yes, that is the right one. I bought one myself, as an extra.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Looks to be in really good condition. How is the gelcoat finish is it dull, how about on the inside? Ask about the door hinges, has the modification for the '84 been done? Check the operation of the lock. Also thecheck the stove vent, lights, heater for proper operation. Ask to see that all is in working order. How old are the tires? What is their born date?
Lots of great info on this site. Very helpful knowledgeable people.
Love my little UHaul!!
Patti

Patti, thanks for the info. What do you mean by the '84 modification exactly?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #13

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Yep, if you want to go camping without a big project, you better hurry and buy it before someone else does.
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #14

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSCAMP View Post
Yep, if you want to go camping without a big project, you better hurry and buy it before someone else does.
Yea we put a down payment on it and are going tonight to most likely buy it!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've got a UHaul, and love it. It has some quirks like all trailers, each brand has pro's and con's. Be sure and post pics, we love them! You can find pics of mine by searching for Uhaul Glamper on this site. (I've addded some fru-fru to my UH!)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #16

Ohio
Thanks for all the help guys, my wife and I are now U-haul owners! Im getting it cleaned up and will post some pictures soon!

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, my wife and I are now U-haul owners! Im getting it cleaned up and will post some pictures soon!

Thanks again.
Good for you!

Looking forward to pics too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote