Potential Casita Owner :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Considering a casita
Nebraska
Potential Casita Owner :)

Greetings from Nebraska. I'm off to look at a Casita Patriot Deluxe on Saturday and hopefully bring it home with me. It's a 2002 and as long as it doesn't have cracks or holes and doesn't smell like mold, I'll likely be bringing it home.

I'm a former Shasta owner and have had really bad luck with vintage campers (mold, rot, collapsing, mice, wasps, etc) and so I'm hoping that by going with a Casita I can have the fun of camping without the "OMG what's inside my walls" thoughts and fears.

It's either that or buy brand new and from what I understand, these little eggs hold their value much better than the generic campers.

Anyway, I'm here, I'm reading up on these campers and hopefully I'll be an official owner soon.

That said, any advice or things I should look for or be aware of?

Mary
nebraskama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Nebraska
Looking at a used Casita .. advice please?

Going to go look at a 2002 Casita on Saturday. As I've had horrendously bad luck with vintage campers, am hoping this will be "the one" and I can get to enjoying actually camping rather than messing around with something or another that's broken.

That said, would love advice on what to look for in evaluating this for purchase. I'm prepared to walk away from cracks, holes, a moldy smell or wet carpet but having never been exposed to these little campers, have no clue what I'm looking for and what are deal breakers.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Welcome, Mary. I'm new here too. Keep us posted about your trailer. I'm always looking for info. Some friends of mine own a Casita and love it.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry

The buyers check list. I found this very helpful to bring along. The first few times I thought I could just read it before hand, nope. Having a check list is invaluable.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Good luck!
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Also, each forum here has their own search window under "Thread tools". It took me a little while to find it but the advanced feature can help you get to what your looking for fast. Many questions have been asked before….but it's always good to have a fresh discusion too.

Here's a resent post.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...for-49393.html
Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mary, welcome to FiberglassRV. My suggestion is to download, print and take the Buyers Check List with you when you go to look at the Patroit... or any used trailer.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #7

Nebraska
Thanks everyone! I printed out the checklist and hopefully it will be "the one." Going to go into this as well informed as I can be so I won't get taken ... I also refuse to bend to the "cuteness factor" and will be brutal in my inspection.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Hi Mary, i am from Iowa, we are practically neighbors! I hope you find the Casita of your dreams. I am looking as well. I know that there will be considerable travel as well since there is nothing in the 17 foot range in our area. Let me know if you hear of any. Good luck!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Nebraska
Will do Shelly ... there was one for sale in Seward, Nebraska this past fall ... not sure what brand or size, we just happened to notice it on the side of the road by a well-maintained house when we were dropping off our Shasta. That was the first one I've ever seen "in person" and it was dark and we couldn't see in the windows.

I'm excited to go see what this one looks like.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

Iowa
Mary, how far do you have to go? I am looking for one in Missouri and the other one in MD. One in MD is priced a little high though i am thinking. I looks like it is in excellent shape though. I know what you mean about the cute factor but when you are shelling out that kind of money you have to be kind of careful If we go to MD it will have to be set up for a week off of work. Look around on this sight and get an idea of what some of similar years and models are going for just so you know. I was told that one can't go by the blue book. I think that must be true, i booked one i was interested in and they were so right. Get all you can here, it's a fun sight with lots of great people and soooo helpful. Let us know what happens this weekend. I hope you come home with a egg that was a great deal!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Nebraska
About 3-1/2 hours one way Shelly ... just called Casita co to find out what a new one costs and he gave me some other pointers on what to look for since in pictures it appears to be dull. He said if rub my hand over it and white comes of, there's no way to get it back shiny without having it factory refinished which scares me a little. Definitely do not want a project camper but don't want to keep pestering the owner with questions so will just go down there and take a look.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Iowa
I wonder what that means? Like what the owner of the camper had to do to cause that. It seems like when we had our burro years ago that happened. Well, 3 and a half isn't too bad you could do that in a day easy. My minimum will be 8+ unless something shows up before then. Thanks for the tip, good to know. I bet you are excited to go. I have bags packed and am ready to roll. I seen one at a storage place in Omaha but it wasn't for sale last week.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskama View Post
About 3-1/2 hours one way Shelly ... just called Casita co to find out what a new one costs and he gave me some other pointers on what to look for since in pictures it appears to be dull. He said if rub my hand over it and white comes of, there's no way to get it back shiny without having it factory refinished which scares me a little. Definitely do not want a project camper but don't want to keep pestering the owner with questions so will just go down there and take a look.
That's not exactly true.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post236117

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #14

Nebraska
Sherry found you one near Des Moines that might be the steal of the decade. I sent you a private message!

Ugh this guy is spamming all over craiglist so it's probably a scam.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If it's the one for $6200.00 it's a SCAM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #16

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
If it's the one for $6200.00 it's a SCAM.
Thanks ... we figured that out. Flagged his butt!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #17

Iowa
Yes we did flag his butt! LOL We felt good about it too! Thank you though. This is a great group of people here helping other people!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #18

Nebraska
Got the Casita I was going to look at! 2002 Patriot Deluxe and it's so teeny and I LOVE it!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Awesome Trailer Very envious I originally shopped for one with a bath.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskama
Got the Casita I was going to look at! 2002 Patriot Deluxe and it's so teeny and I LOVE it!!!
Cute, cute, cute! Looks like a little puppy. You should, have fun with it.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita