Proud new owner of 1985 scamp, greetings and a few questions! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp
Nebraska
Proud new owner of 1985 scamp, greetings and a few questions!

Good morning everyone, I'd like to extend my greetings and thanks to all who post on these forums. I've gone from zero knowledge about Scamps to feeling fairly confident that I can get it into nice enough shape that my partner will actually want to go camping! The camper was previously owned by my Grandparents and it's a 1985 13' Scamp with the bunk beds. It's been sitting at their ranch for the past 15 years (with leaks!) but it really isn't that bad of shape. I've been having fun tinkering with it, despite the frustrating setbacks, and love working on it when the baby goes to bed!

We had to drive the scamp about 600 miles to get her home but the trip went smoothly and I've finally had some time to work on her, and have a few issues that I am stuck on. The first is a rather simple problem but I cannot get the ensolite clean, and it's really not even that dirty! I've tried bleach, soap and water, that LA cleaner stuff that people recommend, ammonia, scrubbing bubbles, and tilex. I've tried sponges, rags, brushes. I can hopefully post some pictures later but the ensolite in the dinette area is dirty/discolored in areas, brown in some sections and yellowed in other. My plan all along has been to paint it so my main question is how clean does it need to be before I throw paint on it. I've painted every room in our house at least once so I have painting experience but I've never painted a surface like ensolite. Is it okay to just scrub it down, rinse it, and prime/paint it, even if there's still discoloration/stains?

2nd question involves the door hinges. I purchased the replacement brass ball/spring/nut/bolt from Scamp because the original were in terrible shape, but now I think I should've bought the whole hinge assembly. The problem with mine is that the bottom hinge plate connected to the Scamp has a very slight gap in it, which I think is causing the door to close incorrectly, which leads to a gap at the bottom. I noticed that the top acorn nut/screw on the bottom hinge is loose, but I can neither tighten nor remove it. I read a suggestion that a torch could help loosen the nut, but I don't currently have access to one and was hoping for an alternative solution.

I know I have more questions but this post is starting to run on and I don't want to wear out my welcome right away!
jerem1986scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you are having fun with this project. I am of no help with the ensolite, but someone else might know, there is a wealth of experience around here.

Re: the hinges, I would not use any kind of torch near the fiberglass or ensolite. You need to find a way to grab the hinge mounting bolts on the inside with a pair of visegrips and then you might be able to remove the nuts and figure out the necessary adjustment to make the door fit properly.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Welcome to th fiberglass family!!! We had a very sweet Scamp 13' for many years until we got to "that age" where we needed a real bathroom! Almost everything you need as replacements can be ordered from Scamp! We kept our sweetie as original as possible inside except for some Glammy cabinet knobs and fancy faucets!!! Congrats! She will clean up fine with vinegar water and elbow grease!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp
Nebraska
Good idea with the Vise Grips, I may be able to push the screw away from the ensolite enough to grip it with a pair. I'll also give the vinegar and water a try, sounds a lot better on my nose and lungs than the bleach!
jerem1986scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If the ensolite is stained, you might consider, after a good cleaning (as best as you can manage), priming it with No-Odor Kilz first. Kilz will help seal in the discoloration so it doesn't bleed through your final coat. Kilz is an enamel paint and they often have strong fumes--for a while. All will fume off after time, but No-Odor Kilz doesn't have the fume impact other enamel paints do. It's not cheap--but it's worth it.

Read the label as to what kind of paint you can use to go over Kilz...my experience is, anything. But I recommend very good quality paint.

You could use Durabak paint, which is a type of liquid rubber, extremely durable, fumes off in about 3 days according to a rep I talked to last summer, and can be selfl-touched up or patched and will blend in very well. But talk about pricey. Durabak comes in a number of nice colors that can be mixed to make your own custom colors. I don't recommend the textured Durabak for interior walls. Way to scratchy. If I had the money and moxie, I'd use Durabak on my 1973 amerigo. Makes a very impervious surface. Consider buying the applicator roller sold on Durabak's website; it's designed for proper application of this interesting product.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Welcome! We have a 1982 Scamp 13 (and are originally from Nebraska ) and absolutely love it!

We painted our ensolite. I cleaned it really well, made sure it was completely rinsed, then used the Kilz indoor/Outdoor primer and 3M Interior/Exterior paint. Over two camping seasons, it's held up really well. No peeling, no dings and easy to wipe down if it gets dirty (usually it's smooshed bugs!)

Good luck on all of the projects! We love being able to order directly from Scamp for the things we've needed. It was definitely worth the investment in the new cushion covers!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp