Proud owner of my first hard-walled home - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Posts: 3
Proud owner of my first hard-walled home

Greetings,

My job keeps me traveling in the air half-time and on a computer the rest of the time. This setup allows me a lot of flexibility for where I live.

I really love the outdoors, having variously lived in tents and in my car over the past few years. It's all been by choice rather than circumstance, so has felt good. Except it's gotten harder to work from my computer in a small tent while the wind is blowing and condensation is nipping my toes. So, I made the right choice and bought a 1996 Scamp 13 to be delivered my way in mid-June. I'm in my mid-30s, and it's my first hard-walled home!

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm real handy as a woodworker, but this whole mechanical world is brand spanking new. For instance, the first thing I want to do is get rid of my refrigerator in there (have to save weight), and I have no idea if that means I'll be cutting electrical cords, capping off propane pipes, etc, and am a little intimidated because I don't want to blow up.

But other than fear, I've got a lot of excitement. I'm heading to Colorado with my fly rod for July & August, and I can't imagine a better place to be!

I'm hoping to meet great people and ascertain some RV wisdom through this forum.

Godspeed,
Steven
__________________

__________________
stevensmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmiles View Post
... For instance, the first thing I want to do is get rid of my refrigerator in there (have to save weight), and I have no idea if that means I'll be cutting electrical cords, capping off propane pipes, etc, and am a little intimidated because I don't want to blow up....
You should be able to find the install manual by model name and number. Removal will basically be the reverse. The 120 VAC is probably just a plug like your home fridge.. just unplug. The propane will have to be capped off and this is the risky part, but not hard. Just secure it well, check for leaks when you are done and every so often as things shake. Consider a propane (gas) detector as a second line of defense. There also is likely 12 volt connection(s) for the heater and/or control board. The manual will spell it out.

I would sure not want to lose the fridge, but sounds like you are set on taking it out. I would sure check to see how much weight I was saving, and look at other options, if weight is your only concern.

You will also have to decide what if anything to do about those rather large vents.
__________________

__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmiles View Post
Greetings,

My job keeps me traveling in the air half-time and on a computer the rest of the time. This setup allows me a lot of flexibility for where I live.

I really love the outdoors, having variously lived in tents and in my car over the past few years. It's all been by choice rather than circumstance, so has felt good. Except it's gotten harder to work from my computer in a small tent while the wind is blowing and condensation is nipping my toes. So, I made the right choice and bought a 1996 Scamp 13 to be delivered my way in mid-June. I'm in my mid-30s, and it's my first hard-walled home!

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm real handy as a woodworker, but this whole mechanical world is brand spanking new. For instance, the first thing I want to do is get rid of my refrigerator in there (have to save weight), and I have no idea if that means I'll be cutting electrical cords, capping off propane pipes, etc, and am a little intimidated because I don't want to blow up.

But other than fear, I've got a lot of excitement. I'm heading to Colorado with my fly rod for July & August, and I can't imagine a better place to be!

I'm hoping to meet great people and ascertain some RV wisdom through this forum.

Godspeed,
Steven
Congratulations on your new Scamp. As to the refrigerator...
At any age we don't know exactly what lies in our future and the refrigerator is an important resale item to most people. Meaning that you will have an instant loss of equity when you take it out in fact the better half of a thousand dollars in loss. Just store your stuff in it and save weight by having a less is more approach on what you bring into the trailer. Or perhaps you could scout for a good bargain on a better tow vehicle and even come out money ahead on selling your current one. But most important of all don't make a decision on the fridge until after you have tried towing it around for awhile. You might be just fine weight wise having it in there.
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Posts: 3
I'm definitely going to weigh the Scamp and see if I can get away with keeping the fridge, but it's very likely that it'll have to go. I already live superlight, but my Subaru Crosstrek lists 1500lbs, and the trailer has the deluxe interior with oak cabinets. I'm going to remove some of those, but still will likely need the 40 - 50 lbs off from the fridge.

Gordon2, you mentioned capping off the propane. Would you mind elaborating a little more about what this will entail? Will I need to saw through piping, or will there be a wingnut, etc? Also, you said I'll have to deal with the 12v connection; does this mean I'm cutting wires, and if so, how do I make sure the wires don't spark and burn the place down later?
__________________
stevensmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmiles View Post
I'm definitely going to weigh the Scamp and see if I can get away with keeping the fridge, but it's very likely that it'll have to go. I already live superlight, but my Subaru Crosstrek lists 1500lbs, and the trailer has the deluxe interior with oak cabinets. I'm going to remove some of those, but still will likely need the 40 - 50 lbs off from the fridge.
Oh my.. you are desecrating a Deluxe? I hate to see that. There are other tow vehicles available, just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmiles View Post
Gordon2, you mentioned capping off the propane. Would you mind elaborating a little more about what this will entail? Will I need to saw through piping, or will there be a wingnut, etc? Also, you said I'll have to deal with the 12v connection; does this mean I'm cutting wires, and if so, how do I make sure the wires don't spark and burn the place down later?
Might be a flair fitting that only needs a plug screwed in.. but I am not an expert in this area so I am going to stop there. I'm sure if you post some pictures of the fittings you find, there will be plenty of people here who are confident enough of their expertise to chime in (and hopefully they will be right).

Wires can be wrapped with electrical tape and secured, no big deal.

EDIT.. I just found this pic of the propane line in my camper for the furnace.. I did not get a furnace so apparently Scamp left the propane line intact and capped it off like this:
There is a two way male flair fitting in the middle with the female cap on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
FuranceLine-CappedOff.jpg  
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,562
Registry
Steven, be aware that much of the cabinetry also serves to support and stabilize the thin fiberglass shell.

As to the fridge, I agree with keeping it if you can. What are you going to use instead? At the least, find a place to store it so it could be reinstalled for yourself or a future owner.

Honestly, I am a bit skeptical whether a Crosstrek will make an adequate tow vehicle for a Scamp 13D. I believe the owner's manual has some caveats about high temperatures and long grades with the CVT transmission. Weighing the empty trailer is a wise first step. Check your tongue weight, too.

Best wishes getting it all sorted out!
__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Posts: 3
Thanks Gordon2, that's really helpful!

JonInAz, I'm only going to rip out the back side cabinets, as most Scamps don't have those anyhow, so I'm imagining they aren't the ones providing stabilization.

Anyone have any idea how much those oaksters weigh?
__________________

__________________
stevensmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Burro, first post, first question :) Can i lie on the roof to do vent work? Colleen Rae Hi, I am.... 13 03-30-2015 09:38 PM
I am the proud owner of a "new" 1973 Trillium 1300 Rob L General Chat 7 11-04-2009 11:47 PM
New Member and Proud Owner of Slightly Used '75 Trillium Kevin Poll Hi, I am.... 6 10-05-2009 09:33 PM
Who made the first hard side trailer? Kevin K General Chat 10 11-11-2008 10:46 AM
Proud new owner here :) Andrea in Oregon General Chat 19 02-13-2007 04:41 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.