Question about Trillium vs... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Question about Trillium vs...

Hi, I'm new here. After selling our VW Eurovan Westfalia (it was great for my wife and I, but not so great when we had two kids), we bought a tent trailer about 1.5 yrs ago. It's roomy (great for the kids) but it's annoying that we can't pop into the trailer whenever we want for loading it, unloading it, doing maintenance, or taking a break during a long drive. Basically, we miss the convenience of the Westfalia.

A 13 ft egg sounds like it would be a good fit for us (kids are 5 and 7) for the next 5-7 years. Maybe even longer?

Here's the problem: I can't bring myself to pay CAD$15,000 and higher for a new trailer, so we're looking at the used ones in the $8000 or lower range. So far the newest we've found, that looks very clean (in the ad...haven't seen it in person) is a 1990 model Bigfoot. But reading through all the restoration threads, it looks like, unless we find something that was recently completely restored, we're going to have to be prepared to do some restoration work of our own.

So having looked at the threads for the Lil Bigfoot, Boler and Trillium, it's looking to me like the Trillium might be the least headache for us because my assumption is that the fiberglass benches, cabinets, etc. will be more durable than wood and will also lend additional structural strength to the shell.

At the risk of starting a brand war (not my intention at all), can I get your thoughts on my thoughts?

I've read some posts talking about cracked Trillium frames but that's not a problem for me since I can weld. It's the tedious and detail-oriented interior re-do that I'm afraid of.

And if I've offended any Boler or Bigfoot owners, I offer my apologies...chalk it up to ignorance on my part.

(I'll be away for the weekend but am looking forward to reading your replies Sunday night.)

...lars
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Larry, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here. You won't start brand wars here. Our philosphy is "Love the One You're With." There are pluses and minuses to every brand. But in the used market, it all boils down to MAINTENANCE. My 1988 Scamp is 23 years old with an all wood interior and it's in perfect condition. I would caution you on assuming anything when it comes to things, because these trailers are more a like than different.

Good luck on your egg hunt!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lars,
In the price range you're considering you will not have a problem finding a very useable trailer.

I have worked on our trailer for two months primarily because I have specific needs for our style of travel. Other than that our 20 year old trailer was ready to hit the road on day 1.

As I've suggested before, if there's a fiberglass rally in your area drive over, bring the family and get a look at many kinds of fiberglass rigs. It's amazing how well the basic structure stands up.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium