Question for you: getting trailer into/out of garage w/ 7 ft. door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
Question for you: getting trailer into/out of garage w/ 7 ft. door?

Anyone have experience with getting trailer in/out of garage that is not quite tall enough? I have 7' garage door and camper I am considering is 7'7". Someone suggested swapping out the tires for "doughnut" spares just for getting it in & out. Anyone tried this ?? Any other ideas?? I don't want to have to remodel the front of my house to get an 8' door if I don't have to or store it somewhere else. Thanks for helping me out !!
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You need to tell us what FGRV you are looking at and if it has a roof a/c or a roof vent so we can reply as to what will work. For many using smaller 8" wheels and tires from a pop-up tent trailer will provide and answer, but again, the existing wheel bolt pattern needs to be known.

Gotta warn you though, getting 7" of additional clearance will not be easy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

Missouri
Thanks, Bob for your quick reply.....

I haven't chosen a camper yet, but am looking at several. I like Lil' Snoozy because there is nothing on top. A/C is mounted out back up high beside the door. The owner said something about getting something like a low beefed-up furniture dolly (for want of a better comparison) and then removing wheels altogether, but although I am mighty I am 5'2" and don't know how I would maneuver that because then the tongue would be too low to tow into garage. Most Scamps have top-mounted stuff. We will see. I am still shopping. Thanks again. Happy Trails !!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Since i have a HOA that will not allow me to park on driveway... My solution to a 7 ft door ( with a sectional door)
Was to make the roof vent removable
Then to disconnect the connecting bar from door to garage door opener and simply push up and temp block the door with a precut ( about 8" piece of 2x 4

Trailer then simply goes back in
No tires to change etc... Whole process takes me about 5 min

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

Missouri
Thank you, Alan, but.....

One of the trailers I am considering is the Lil' Snoozy and it has nothing at all on the top. A/C is up high on rear side by door, so nothing to disconnect. Still shopping, but thought I would try to solve as many problems as I could beforehand. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
In many cases you can raise the tongue to lower the back then lower the tongue as you pass the axle.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #7

Missouri
Floyd, I appreciate that feedback....

But one of the campers I am considering is 2500 lbs and I can't see myself wiggling it around much. 7" doesn't seem like a lot, but I would sure hate to mess it up by trying something above my capabilities !! I am still shopping, but trying to overcome my obstacles while I am looking. Appreciate your comments
Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Again, if you can tell us the specifics of the camper you are looking at we can provide some advice about your problem and if it can be easily resolved.;

Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Missouri
Thanks again, Bob.....

When I make a choice I will get back to you so as not to waste your time with a lot of "what ifs" for numerous brands.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Gotta warn you though, getting 7" of additional clearance will not be easy.
I agree, figure that smaller wheels may gain you 3" maybe 4" tops. Most FGRV's use 13" tire which means with the tires removed and sitting on the ground they will only be about 10" lower and that is not realistic at all. I use 4.80-8" wheels on my Boler to clear the 7" door into my garage, these have a diameter of 16" whereas the road wheels (175/80-13) have a 24" diameter, so the tiny 8" wheels only lower my trailer 4".
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Consider a Compact Jr or Hunter Kathy.....

They were designed to fit in an ordinary garage with a pop up top to give standing headroom when camping.

This beauty belonged to a very nice couple who attended last September's egg rally at Algonac State Park here in Michigan.

If I remember correctly they tow it back and forth to Florida and log a lot of nights in it.
Attached Thumbnails
post.yellow.junior.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
i fit a boler into a garage by taking the tires off and using Car dollies under the frame. it wouldnt fit even under the hubs. you may need 2x4s. even at this point the hubs still scrapped along the ground with less than an 1/2" at the roof vent. if it didn't fit after that I would have taken the vent cover off.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Or build a free standing garage with a taller entry door...there is a company that will deliver and build on your property a metal garage (color of your choice) with a tall entry door...problem solved...and cost effective. Company is in North Carolina and has done this for customers in upstate New York and Vermont. Do an Internet search to locate them.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

WOW.... That's not exactly a very helpful reply to the O.P.'s question.
It's also making a lot of assumptions:

1. That the OP even has room on her property for a 2nd garage
2. That local building codes & zoning will allow a second garage
3. That the OP can afford to build a second garage and buy an FGRV.
4. That the OP. like many others. might consider a metal garage to be about the ugliest thing she can to to the neighborhood.

As there are a number of FGRV owners on this site that have to deal with this very problem, let's let them provide workable solutions.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In many cases you can raise the tongue to lower the back then lower the tongue as you pass the axle.
This shopper may have to get a fold down, or pop up trailer.' But that goes contrary to us FGRV types.

If money is no object, and some engineering time expended, a company called Red Dot makes A/C's for earthmoving machines, which are very rugged, designed to handle high impact and vibration conditions. the one I would like to get for our16 ft Scamp, would mount the Condenser unit at the rear above the rear window, and the Evaporator/Air Handler unit inside. Only hang up with that is that on heavy equipment, the Compressor is mounted on the engine and belt driven. Although they also have a self contained model, roof mounted, that is powered by hydraulics from the machine.
Is it the Parkliner that says their A/C is blended into the roof line?

WC
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #16

North Carolina
O.K.....now for plan "B"...(to make Mr. Miller happy)... contact the Amish Building folks...they can build a very "up-scale" designer garage from your drawings in panelized form and then deliver and erect the structure on your pre-approved building site...I did this very thing several years ago...it matches my home perfectly!....try to remember that these are suggested possible solutions.
The O.P. Is currently trying to insert a size 10 trailer into a size 8 garage.....sooner or later he will realize the thing isn't going to fit.

I suggested the metal garage plan as a cost effective possibility....works when funds are limited...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I could have suggested a "Hi-Low" type RV travel trailer that would also solve the height problem...as they say in the hills of West Virginia..."there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Happy Camping
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I guess I have the "ugliest" thing in the neighborhood. I would NOT go to the trouble Kathi is talking about to put my Scamp in my garage. But I did have a carport installed and LOVE IT! It's in my backyard and barely noticeable (Privacy fence). But you can go under there and work on the trailer out of the sun, rain. Washing/waxing...not a problem and PLENTY of room around it. It's a carport, not a totally boxed-in garage.

To each his own....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
O.K.....now for plan "B"...(to make Mr. Miller happy)... contact the Amish Building folks...they can build a very "up-scale" designer garage from your drawings in panelized form and then deliver and erect the structure on your pre-approved building site...I did this very thing several years ago...it matches my home perfectly!....try to remember that these are suggested possible solutions.
The O.P. Is currently trying to insert a size 10 trailer into a size 8 garage.....sooner or later he will realize the thing isn't going to fit.

I suggested the metal garage plan as a cost effective possibility....works when funds are limited...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I could have suggested a "Hi-Low" type RV travel trailer that would also solve the height problem...as they say in the hills of West Virginia..."there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Happy Camping
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

No need to make Mr. Miller happy, it's more about a workable solution for the o.p. and items 1-4, in post #14 may all still apply.

Again, many actual Molded Fiberglass RV owners have dealt with and solved this problem in much simpler and less expensive manners than adding another garage.

As soon as the o.p. has an actual rig in mind, more definitive answers can be provided..

AND: A) beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Please don't play the "Amish" card. (most of those "Amish" builders are Mennonite anyway)

Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #19

North Carolina
Darryl T., That RV carport sounds great and probably looks great as well.
Those folks in California are hard to please. Life is a bit less pretentious in Tennessee and up here in the Adirondacks.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ahh..true my friend. Also, I hope we know just how much $$ will be invested in a "motorized?" dolly or what have you to support the camper? I can see that maybe for long-term storage. Anyway, this has worked out well for me @ apx $1200 for the past 4 yrs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/6141409044/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Darryl T., That RV carport sounds great and probably looks great as well.
Those folks in California are hard to please. Life is a bit less pretentious in Tennessee and up here in the Adirondacks.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote