Question for you: getting trailer into/out of garage w/ 7 ft. door? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Darryl, That picture says it all...I wish I had a similar structure up here in the north country in the NY/Vermont mountains. We get many feet of snow and such a structure would solve a lot of problems. I currently cover my travel trailer with a green poly tarp to protect the roof (not a fiberglass trailer). Your set up looks perfect for protection and a work space out of the weather...might even pass
"California Code"......"Looks Marvelous".
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That kind of carport is common here in CA as well, there is one with a motorho0me in it about 2 blocks from my house. But as I live in an unincorporated area with 1/2 to 4 acre home sites, codes are less restrictive, and they tend to fit in with the other properties. However, one might not do so well with local codes in other areas.

However, I stated that it "may" not be esthetically pleasing or allowed by code in some areas. That's up to the o.p and their locale, of which we know almost nothing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
WOW.... That's not exactly a very helpful reply to the O.P.'s question.

As there are a number of FGRV owners on this site that have to deal with this very problem, let's let them provide workable solutions.
Actually, it may be the MOST helpful reply. Sometimes somebody has to point out that the "Emperor has no clothes" and go against the herd with an alternative workable solution.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yes, but unlike your friend the Emperor, we have a whole closet full of clothes that can be tried on at the appropriate time to see what might fit.

The O.P. asked about lowering a trailer, for which there are a number of viable answers, of which yelling "Forget About It" was not one.

But I have the feeling that the O.P. has since walked away, making all of this moot anyway

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I think this has been beat to death
Lets agree to disagree on this as in many threads..... This has gone off the original? And has turned somewhat into personal attacks
Not productive in the very least and exactly why myself and others are somewhat reluctant to ask some very basic questions
How about everyone relax the camping experience is supposed to be a fun exprience

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #26

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Raise the garage a couple foot. It's what I have been thinking of.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
The better question is, which campers will fit in a garage with a height of 81.5" clearance if either the tires are replaced with a smaller tire or if the axles are put onto a low profile car dolly? Maybe some forum members can measure the height of their campers to the bottom part of the axle? Then add 2" for the low profile car dolly?
camperhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperhunter View Post
The better question is, which campers will fit in a garage with a height of 81.5" clearance if either the tires are replaced with a smaller tire or if the axles are put onto a low profile car dolly? Maybe some forum members can measure the height of their campers to the bottom part of the axle? Then add 2" for the low profile car dolly?
The other question is- will you still use it if you have to change tires every time it goes in or out of the garage? I had the same issue (but 8.5 foot camper and 8 foot door) and ended up changing doors. Nope, not cheap. But worth it to me compared to all the makeshift things I considered. That, or as someone suggested, consider a Compact/Hunter?Campster type. The new Meercat might also be low enough (not sure- it pops up but haven't looked at the height without the top up.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Roof air or no roof air? Roof air would render it impossible.

The Hunter Compact and trailers built similar to it are the lowest FG trailers out there, other than teardrops.

Here's a thread where people used small 4.8 x 8 inch tire/wheel combo to get a Trillium and a Scamp 13 into a 7 foot garage opening.

No way my Casita 17 would have made it, and my Escape is over 9 foot high (both have roof air).

Measure your garage door carefully. Often, the door does not go up as high as the opening. And the frame on the door itself can hang down as well. Measure actual door clearance.

I understand local restrictions. My carport/garage complex would never get by an HOA for sure.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-45719.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jack Up the Garage, or dig down the floor.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
No roof a/c
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote