Questions - hope to be a new owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Currently shopping
Montana
Questions - hope to be a new owner

Hi - I am new to this forum and am looking to purchase a trailer soon. I have some general questions for folks.

1) Is there a good checklist you would recommend I use when evaluating potential fiberglass trailers for purchase. Something that would help me know what to look for/ask about? That would be really helpful!!

2) I will be pulling the trailer with my Honda Element. The max weight that Honda indicates is safe for it is 1500 lbs. So what are folks recommendations about safe trailer weights (e.g., 1000 max.)?

Any assistance would be appreciated!!

Todd
Bigsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Todd, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Click on this link for the Buyer's Checklist in the Document Center: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

You're going to be very restricted by towing weight. There are very few all molded trailers that will suit your limit. See this link for more information: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Others will be along shortly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! Glad you joined us......

Well Donna beat me to the link for the Buyers guide, but will add that crawling around in and under any trailer will give you insight to how it's been cared for, what potential issues you will have. Enjoy the search process!

As far as tow capacity, you are gonna be limited. But I suggest you stay within the tow capacity and the best way to do that is, Weigh any potential purchase that way there are no surprises.

So what part of Montana are you in? Use to live by Glacier. Don't see a lot of Glass up there but they do come up for sale on occasion. ID seems to have more as well as Oregon (the glass capitol of the country! )
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Todd, here's something that MAY work for your tow limit: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ane-58252.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: Todd
Trailer: Currently shopping
Montana
Thanks I appreciate the assistance. I am from Helena.
Bigsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Here is a site to watch,

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

As well as Criagslist. If you can find craigslist that searches beyond one particular city you are better off. I use to have the link but it no longer works. But there is such a beast! Can't remember the name of the link I had, but it was something like craigslist home as well as craigslist smash.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Hey Todd

Welcome and good luck.

Gina used to tow her Burro with an Element and there should be plenty of documentation and reasoning for you to research here from her.

Hers was a small trailer but not exactly "Basic" either and seemed to reflect her Character well for a long time!

Am I wrong?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Many 13' eggs can be kept under 1500 lbs when loaded for camping, but they'll almost certainly be over 1000. 13'ers include models by Scamp, Casita, Burro, Trillium, and Boler. There are some brands with even smaller trailers, like Weiscraft's Little Joe and Ponderosa (still being produced AFAIK).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote