RAV4 towing 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #21

Name: Trish
Trailer: Looking for Scamp
Louisiana
Thanks to you all for your valued replies. I think I have ample info to go on for the time being. Now I can plan a strategy. Thank you so much!
Trish in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I spent $700 on brake job for my '08 RAV4. That's at a dealer and in Canada, where everything costs more.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #23

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Trish
I also have an 07 Rav4, in my case with AWD, V6, and tow package (3,500 lb limit). You didn't say which engine you have - the V6 has ample power whereas the I4 will mean you climb hills more slowly. As others have said, trans cooling is critical and an after market cooler will help (my Rav has a trans cooling coil inside the radiator). Air bags can be added for moderate cost if you have excessive rear end sag. Brakes in your trailer are a legal requirement in most states.

You can never officially raise your legal tow limit, but you can make your vehicle more easily cope with the additional loads. If you ever have an accident it will definitely be in your favor to be operating legally. If that is not possible you should strongly consider changing tow vehicles.
Bill in NC, who regularly tows a utility trailer
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post

You can never officially raise your legal tow limit, but you can make your vehicle more easily cope with the additional loads.
Are you under the impression that OEM tow ratings on light duty vehicles are somehow legally binding?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #25

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
What I mean is that I know of no way you can change the OEM tow limit for your tow vehicle. If you were in an accident and towing more than the stated limit you could be in a difficult legal situation. If the trailer you are towing is loaded beyond it's stated GVWR the situation would be similar. That's not to say that you won't get away with it but why take the risk?
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #26

RCMP have done weight checks in BC. Mostly they nailed truck campers that were overweight for the vehicle ( they are easy to spot ).
Kind of ruins your vacation to leave your truck at a pull-out because the numbers don't add up.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Trish, First thing to do is visit a Toyota dealer and ask them to determine your actual tow rating. There are many different models within the RAV 4 group.
They can look up the actual specifications for your vehicle. Much better method than trusting answers from strangers on the Internet.

Get tow capacity and maximum tounge weight for your model as built in 2007.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #28

The dealer can just run the VIN and tell you the specs.
On the other hand, if you ask the internet, you can eventually get whatever answer you want to hear.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Maryland
Registry
Towing my Scamp 13D with RAV$

We are presently towing our Scamp 13D with our 4 cylinder 2009 RAV4. Using a class 3 hitch and lighting converter with plug and play cords to connect to the tail lights. No problems. We tow 55-60 mph at 2000 rpm on the interstate, down shifting on hills. 18 MPG average. No trailer brakes with no problems.

John
johno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp