Ready for Adventure - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13"
Idaho
Ready for Adventure

Hello to all the great people on this forum. I will certainly be asking many questions as I just purchased a 1982 Scamp. This introductory photo will be a "before" one soon I hope! We have already been wandering around the desert SouthWest.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Kathy,

Looks great. Great tow vehicle. Solid trailer.

Happy Camping,

Dean

Old 04-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Congratulations! How exciting. Looks like many fun memories in the making!

Happy Trails,
Kathie

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Oh, the places you will go....
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

Idaho
Thanks! In Idaho there are not as many paved roads as out your way, or at least that go where I want to go...so I'm planning to raise (flip) the axle and beef the suspension. Know anyone who has done that on a Scamp?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Idaho
Thanks! Fun so far! Pretty solid...has some rot on the base from leak below rear window. Any wisdom to share?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
For the axle, find a local trailer shop. I would not recommend going to an RV place. Unless you love spending money. Technically you aren't "flipping" the axle, you're changing it from being sprung under, to sprung over. If it's like my Bigfoot. I think some of these trailers have torsion axles which are a different deal. But if you have leaf springs and they are mounted under the axle, moving them to above the axle will raise it up a few inches.

As far as the rot, it's always a good idea on an older trailer, if it's never been done, to remove the windows with the frames, clean it all up, then reinstall with fresh butyl tape.

My trailer has a little rot under the kitchen window, but I think it's actually because of water from the sink. I always have a puddle back there after washing my hands or the dishes. Sometimes I remember to clean it up, sometimes I don't...so the wall soaks it up
Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Idaho
Thanks for the clarification on the axle. I know a couple places that I can get an estimate from...not RV places.

The rear window could use replacing anyway, so will put that higher on my to do list. I think if I was truly averse to spending money I would not have bought an older camper. But I enjoy having a project and I'm already pretty attached to this little cutie.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPica View Post
I think if I was truly averse to spending money I would not have bought an older camper.
Yes, good point. But there's spending money, and then there's spending money.

An RV shop will charge a minimum of $100/hr, most likely. Where a trailer shop who is more used to doing modifications and other work like that will probably just have a set price based on what they know about the job. Depending on the trailer shop. I don't remember exactly what I paid to have a new axle put on my trailer, but it was really pretty cheap.

I have a friend who was wanting to do the "axle flip" too, but kept putting it off because of the cost. He had been talking with RV shops. I told him about the trailer shop I went to and gave him the number. Two weeks later, his camper was sitting 3" higher
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #10

Idaho
Well that is encouraging. I appreciate your sharing that. I would could certainly have learned that the hard way! My usual method is to pay the highest price possible and get taken to the cleaners