Ready to buy a Compact Jr. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: ruth
Trailer: currently shopping
Mississippi
Ready to buy a Compact Jr.

Hi all,

I am relatively new to your site, I actually do stalk all of you by watching your posts and I'm trying to decide if I really want to forge ahead. My husband Chuck and I are thinking of purchasing a Compact Jr. (it is the one that is described as rough in Jacksonville, Fl.) Can some people give me estimates about how much different projects will cost. For instance I am guessing if I make my own cushions with slipcovers if will cost at least $350. The new canvas approximately $300. Paint job if our neighbor helps $200.

Rewire the camper, including new upgraded converters (or whatever they are called.) What parts do we need?

Plumbing...water pump, including adding the place for hose to attach to camper, and hopefully an outdoor shower set-up. What parts do we need?

Thank you for you time and help.
Ruth in Mississippi
R_ROTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the Club, Hunter Compact Division.

I haven't seen the ad for the Compact you are looking at, can you post a link?

FWIW: I put about $3,000 into parts and a small amount of farmed out labor (Canvas repair) when I redid my Compact-II. I'll post a link to it in the next post. That included about every thing you mentioned as well as a furnace, water heater, Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 Converter, a 400 watt inverter, new Group 27 battery, flat screen TV & a dvd player, new Briteside Marine paint, new wheels, tires and bearings, new cooktop, sink & counter, Ikea mattress, new floor etc.....

I think that $200 for paint will be a little on the short side if you use the Briteside products (it's the best, nothing else is really close) and the several quotes I got out here for new canvas were closer to $500.

If you want to add an outside shower panel it will take a water heater, about $300 if you can find a 3 or 4 gallon one, the 6 gallon ones won't fit, a shower panel, about $80 and a lot of plumbing to add hot water, another $100. A better bet might be one of the portable LP powered camp showers on the market such as the ZODI.

Anyway, you need to fall in love with your project, and then enjoy it to the fullest.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #3

Here's a link to my 1973 Hunter Compact-II

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Beautifal job Bob!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

Mississippi
Thank you for your quick reply.

The ad is here on fiberglassrv. It is on or about 9/29/13. Take a look at the pictures. Personally I am looking forward to the challenge, but not sure about the cost of redu. Biggest problem it is a 12 hour round trip to see it. I'll be asking about tire size so I can bring some with us. Bob...what size tire will I need?

Other suggestions I've read here is to bring trailer lights in case the lights don't work. Heavy duty flashlights...

I am getting ready to study your link now.

P.s. That's not the price I am planning on paying. Ruth
Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_ROTTON View Post
T

Other suggestions I've read here is to bring trailer lights in case the lights don't work. Heavy duty flashlights...

A 12 hour round trip isnt to bad by Fiberglass trailer standards!

Dont forget to ask what size hitch ball the trailer takes- nothing worse then going to hitch up a new to you trailer with a 2" ball on your tug only to discover the trailer needs a 1 7/8" ball. More than one person has made the mistake of attempting to tow a trailer with a 1 7/8" coupler on a 2" ball or the other way around - good way to have the trailer pop off the ball while driving down the road. Also ask ahead of time if it has a 7 blade electrical connection, or a 7 pin connection or a simple 4 plug so you can shop around for the adapter ahead of time if need be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Link to ad?

Quote:
The ad is here on fiberglassrv. It is on or about 9/29/13.
This one?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A 12 hour round trip isnt to bad by Fiberglass trailer standards!
20+ hours for our boler American. One thought to consider is if you don't feel safe towing the trailer once you see it, you can piggy back it on an appropriate uhaul rental.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
The ad is here on fiberglassrv. It is on or about 9/29/13. Take a look at the pictures. Personally I am looking forward to the challenge, but not sure about the cost of redu. Biggest problem it is a 12 hour round trip to see it. I'll be asking about tire size so I can bring some with us. Bob...what size tire will I need?

P.s. That's not the price I am planning on paying. Ruth

For starters: Tire Size is ST175R13 trailer tires, C or D range. The rims are 13" 4 bolt on 4 inch circle.

My hitch is 2", go with that and you can always buy a 1 7/8 at WalMart if needed. Taking a set of magnetic stick on lights is always a good idea, be sure you can plug them into your rig before leaving. Harbor Freight is clearing them out for about $10 a set.

If it hasn't been moved in years, have the garage that mounts the tires also repack the wheel bearings (<$50) you wouldn't want them to fail on the way home.

It was just over 900 miles r/t when we picked up out Hunter, for a bit less than they are asking and in a bit better condition.

BTW: Unless it's damaged that top boot may be repairable. Take it off and clean, clean, clean with upholstery cleaner. I just had to have new screens and window flaps made for mine.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice job, Bob! You managed to squeeze a hot water heater in there. That must have been a project in itself. Nice to have hot water, though.

fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #11

Mississippi
Cool Re: Compact Jr

Thank you all. Bob...I am so glad you replied and that you did look at the pictures. (Is she saveable?) I have discussed a lower price with the owner. The story behind the trailer is that it is at an auto auction site. The owner is in PA and has never seen it. She did ask a young man to check the frame and floor. He said they are fine.

The U-haul has been on my mind, how hard is it to push a trailer up on a trailer? We always carry both size balls, racheted tiedowns and I'll definetly run over to get the magnetic tow lights this weekend.

Thank you all again, and I'll have to have my husband figure out the pigtail stuff for the lights.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

That Hunter deal sounds a little shaky at best. I'll bet that the seller hasn't got more than a few hundred in it and is flipping it for profit.... That it hasn't sold in a month is, to me at least, a clue to either be talking about a priced less than 1/2 that being asked or staying home.

You won't know what you are getting until you get there and, "Frame Checked" by Who?

To put it on a trailer, rent a full length car-carrier trailer from U-Haul. You won't get it on anything else that I can think of that will carry the weight as well.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
To put it on a trailer, rent a full length car-carrier trailer from U-Haul. You won't get it on anything else that I can think of that will carry the weight as well.
That was my thought. Note that U-haul has two styles they call old and new. There is a difference in the width they will accomodate. So bring a tape measurer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Is it the yellowish one with the flat tires?

You may find a good power washing will take care of what looks pretty rough.

The pop top fabric may just need a good scrubbing too.

Spend some time with a wire brush attachment on an electric drill and the tongue and bumper will be ready for repainting.

And that ugly, rusty propane tank will of course get replaced with a shiny new one.

On the inside you'll find stick-on vinyl floor tiles are inexpensive. You can find nice vintage-looking tiles at Home Depot that require separate adhesive.

I just brought my Compact Junior home a few weeks ago. The cushions are covered in a very nice fabric.

When I turned them over I discovered the fabric covered the foam much like wrapping paper covers a gift. Some kind of adhesive was apparently used.

I just googled fabric adhesive and iron-on fabric adhesive and found several products available at craft and sewing stores that will let you cover the foam cushions for little more than the cost of the fabric.

I looked in the fabric store the other day and found very nice "marine" vinyl for about $10 a yard. I think it would be pretty easy to replace the pop top fabric with out having to sew it. I think I'd use the vinyl, screening material, snaps, velcro and adhesives to make one, probably in four separate pieces, that could be easily installed and removed as desired.

My Junior has a water tank under the portside seat but I pulled it out. When I camp I just bring a few gallons of water. Having a ten or fifteen gallon tank requires work to make sure it stays sanitary. I'd rather have the extra storage room.

If I sell the trailer someday the new owner will get the tank and can reinstall it if he/she wants.

If I were buying the advertised trailer I would probably just show up with two brand new tires. Maybe a third as the tires appear flat. I bought one new one for my Junior as a spare. Cost was $110 for tire and wheel.

If you have AAA towing insurance you can add RV coverage for very little extra, about $15 a year. Better piece of mind when towing a trailer far from home.

Be patient too. You might find a nicer one for less money. And if you do go look at this one bring crisp hundred dollar bills. Offer less and be prepared to walk away. Don't let the long drive make you buy something for more than you think it's worth.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
composite camper.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #15

Good Information for the future Hunter Owner but:

Stick-on tiles just don't seem todo well in RV's. They aren't designed for the heat that builds up and will start to shrink and/or peel up after the first season.

If anyone has found stick-on tiles that don't peel up let us all know.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #16

Mississippi
All great suggestions and very generous folks for taking the time to help us. I am kind of thinking Cork flooring for a little added insulation. Can't afford it for my house, but it shouldn't take too much to cover the area.

Now here is a "DUMB" question...how many people just use the two benches as "twin" beds instead of a large bed? My husband was a sailor so he's used to a small rack. Although we do love our king size bed.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #17

I have seen several Jr.s modified to twin beds, it appears to work just fine as long as the length will work out.

And about rack size..... please TMI.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #18

Mississippi
Bob, Did I go there?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Good luck with the Compasct Jr project. I spent much less than Bill, but my goals were more simple. We view our as a tent on wheels.

First Sight Of 1973 Compact Jr. Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket