Reece thoen - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mike there should not be any confusion behind a few of the smaller Escapes having a Trillium connection for a short time - this was covered in this post by Escape back in 08. Trillium RV Ltd. (TRV), of Carson City, NV did for a time have an alliance with Escape.

That alliance ended a year later in July 09 per this post from Escape Ind.
Carol, I wasn't referring to a Trillium-Escape connection, but thanks for the interesting history tidbit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL no problem my error and missed the "KZ" in your first post - I keep forgetting you went to the dark side! ;-)))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #43

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL no problem my error and missed the "KZ" in your first post - I keep forgetting you went to the dark side! ;-)))
Yes, Bwa-ha-haaa! But I am open-minded about "coming back to the light" someday. May the egg be with you!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #44

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
The main floor plywood seem dry and I haven't found any visible rot there yet.

There is also a separate plywood floor inside, under the bed/dinette seat. That turned out to be holding water from ?? ( the windows maybe), and it had rotted out.

I've pulled all the windows, and seen rot in some of the wood backing frames. I'm still thinking about what material to use for replacements. Cedar? It's not that expensive up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Trilliums have a fiberglass bottom with a sheet of plywood on the inside. On my 34 year old trailer the plywood looks brand new. It looks fairly easy to change if it did rot. fredo411 has Trillium 4500 that has a lot of water damage. I wonder how his floor is.

The part that is really susceptible to rot is the inside of the window frames. There is a plywood flange around the windows. This is what the screws that hold the windows in bite into. They get exposed to moisture one way or another and rot. I would like to replace the wood in mine with something that does not rot. Aluminum? Duradeck? Nylon?

A 50 year trailer is my goal. I hope one of my kids wants it.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #45

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
What about pressure treated plywood? Some houses are using it for basement walls.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #46

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
What about pressure treated plywood? Some houses are using it for basement walls.
Fiberglass floors rot from the inside, meaning water leaking from above. They do not rot from road spray. If you keep wood dry you will have no problem. There are many 30 year old fiberglass trailers with no rot. Their owners kept an eye on window and roof vent seals.

Sleeping near pressure treated wood gives me some concern, not lots, but some. We keep our roof vent open all the time except when towing, and often open windows as well to avoid indoor air pollution. OTOH treated wood is probably of more concern to the folks cutting and installing it than the campers in the trailer.

Finally treated wood is quite a bit heavier than the plain stuff.

Happy Turkey Day, john

Pic of some non-treated wood in the Hoh River Valley in Olympic National Park
Attached Thumbnails
Trips West (5).jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #47

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
I've pulled all the windows, and seen rot in some of the wood backing frames. I'm still thinking about what material to use for replacements. Cedar? It's not that expensive up here.
Cedar is a beautiful and decay resistant wood. But, it is very soft and has poor screw holding ability. If you use it you will need to use more fasteners and good adhesive as well. I would use it, just with more care than a hardwood. Its certainly easier to work with.

The main consideration in using wood anywhere is keep it away from water. There is 5000 year old furniture found in Egyptian pyramids that is still sound. But Egypt is a desert. Wood furniture in my Wisconsin backyard wouldn't last a decade without constant maintenance (painting). In fgrv's this means checking your window and roof vent seals every year.

Happy Trails and stay dry, john

Pic of really, really old Egyptian table
Attached Images

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #48

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
As this thread was resurrected from the grave at the same time someone else commented about this company it seem fitting to link their post.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post671867

Quote:
I gave a deposit for a new trailer in December 2016, to JOE AND REESE THOEN of OUTBACK TRILLIUM TRAILERS, CALGARY, AB. It was suppose to be ready June 1, 2017. I rented out my house for June 1 and was ready to travel but by June 1 the trailer was not even built nor was he in the process of building it. Joe did not return any phone calls or emails for weeks. When I left a message that I was reporting him to the RCMP he called me back and came up with excuses as to why it was not ready. He said it would be ready by July. Again he did not return any phone calls or emails, on August 15 I had to drive out to Alberta to locate him to see if my trailer was ready, it was not, nor had he even started building it. I was also shocked to see where he was manufacturing it, he is running it out of his backyard not a proper facility, the trailers I saw were defective shells, and the one trailer that was assembled was of poor quality. Apparently anyone can buy a Trillium mould and start making trailers. He said he would refund my deposit, he did not, now I have the inconvenience and expense of taking him to court to get my deposit back for a trailer he did not even build. There are 2 complaints with the RCMP in regards to this business. I want other people in the market to be aware of this business and not get scammed like I did.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote