Replacement battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Replacement battery

Hi. I've just tried to replace the battery on my 2011 13' scamp and keep blowing my 20 amp fuse. I installed a group 27 65 amp battery. What am I missing?
Philup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Are you sure you connected the battery back up as it was?

Scamps are set up with:

+Positive to Black and - Negative to White
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Ontario
I believe so. But it has had some other wires added for the tugger. Wondering if something's wrong there. Have I purchase the correct battery
Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philup View Post
I believe so. But it has had some other wires added for the tugger. Wondering if something's wrong there. Have I purchase the correct battery

If its a group 27 battery that would not blow a fuse. But installing the battery incorrectly is a pretty common error as it is not hooked up as many folks think it should be.

Might help if you post a photo so we can see what other wires you are referring to that are go to the tug. The only wires that you would normally see coming out of the battery box is one white wire and one black wire that has an inline fuse on it. Wires do tie into the wiring harness for the tug but not normally right at the battery itself.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

Ontario
Would a group 24 make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No difference. It's still a 12V battery.

Think of a group 27 as a larger gas tank. Same gas, same fuel lines, same power available, just lasts longer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
All have given good information on the hookup.

I'm curious about the amp rating you gave. By any standard, that is very low output for a 27 series battery. What is are the amps, and are they listed as CCA, MCA, etc?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have not replied to this question because there is too much ambiguity for me to help.

Which 20 amp fuse is blowing? Is all the 12 volt stuff turned off when you hook up the battery? Have you verified proper polarity connection to the battery? Are you also using shore power at all when this occurs?

I have to assume that "tugger" is Canadian for "tow vehicle." Is your tow vehicle connected when the fuse blows? Dis everything work OK with the prior battery? If so, did anything other than the battery change? 65 AH is rather low for a group 27 battery. Please provide photos of the battery and the "added tugger wires" as well as location of the failing fuse.

You could pull all the fuses from the power distribution panel and/or converter and see if the battery still blows the 20 amp when its connected, but I would find the problem before hooking up the battery to prevent possible injury.

More details and well annotated photos might provide more clues to the problem.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery