replacing wood around window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Name: Gabriel
Trailer: Trillium
Maine
replacing wood around window

we just bought a 1975 trillium, it has a leak around the front window and i think we have to replace the wooden frame. any suggestions on prep, things to watch out for, etc?
trillyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There are a few good threads on how to do this. Dave Tilston's come to mind. Mikmay too.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: Gabriel
Maine
Thanks a lot
trillyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
I would suggest you only take one window out at a time you may need to get measurements from another the same size. I would remove a screw on each window and check it's threads. It there aren't any left you will need to do all the windows because the wood is so bad it wouldn't hold a new screw at all. My '76 Trillium was in that condition. You will need access to a table saw to make the new wood pieces. Most everything else just needs hand tools. The edge of the wood is beveled at 45 degrees on the outside edge all around. Use a putty knife to peel back the ensolite covering to gain access. I used spray contact cement to re-install it on mine. Good luck! Go slow so you don't damage anything.
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
My suggestion is to not replace the frame with wood but to use pvc or composit flat stock which is readily available at lowes or Home Depot. It will cut on a regular table saw and will never rot again. Just use a salvaged piece to match.also make sure to replace the screws with stainless or aluminum
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #6

Name: Reade
manitoba
I agree with Mikmay. PVC and stainless screws. I also used spay on contact cement to glue the ensolite. I would also recommend getting a glazing bar tool. Can not live without one of those. I would recommend getting good quality butyl tape from your local RV dealer.
Reade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I suggest you not replace with wood if possible. A polymer (PVC etc) is a permanent repair and I find it easier to work with.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Is there a way to 'flag' certain threads so they can be referenced later, quicker? I like this info and short of printing it off . . . . which I can't . . . . would like to be able to reference my most needful topics.

JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Is there a way to 'flag' certain threads so they can be referenced later, quicker?...
I subscribe to the thread (but turn off notifications). To subscribe, use the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of the first post on the page. Set notification preferences in the "User CP" at the left of the task bar under your log-in information. To return to your subscribed threads later, there is a link in the "Quick Links" menu on the right side of the task bar.

I believe another member copies and pastes the URL into a spreadsheet with subject fields in order to reference many useful threads quickly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks! Wouldn't it be nice if there was a 'like', 'acknowledged' button? Too FBook'y probably - I like people to know I've read their response.

Have a lovely day, all.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium