Responding to an Ad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: BERNIE
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp KB2UM
New York
Responding to an Ad

Hi Im a new member on the look-out for a used Casita and would like to know how to respond to someone who is advertising. I would like to be quick and to be able to communicate with the person by phone if possible to learn details, confirm transaction etc Being new to this forum I guess there is an easy way to do it. Thanx Bernie
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Bernie,

The way to be most effective when replying to ads is to do your homework first. Nothing turns a vendor off quicker than questions that are very strange and make it look like the caller isn't really serious about buying a trailer. A caller who hums and haws can also make the vendor wonder if the caller is serious about buying a trailer or just a dreamer wasting their time.

Make a short list of the basics, age etc. and start off confirming that info. Then decide if you need other info. Keep the call focused.

Good luck with your looking

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Bernie, many people do not put their phone numbers on the initial ad but you can always click on their profile name (on the left) to send them a private message and get contact info from them that way.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

New York
Great, Im familiar with the four types Casitas in the 17 ft class I was considering and have done some homework already. I Have had some experience with a motorhome already but not with the little trailers. I plan to pull one with my 03 highlander. Ill also try to contact the seller by phone if possible so thanks guys you were helpful but Im sure Ill have more questions. Looks like a fun forum.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A few basic rules for responding to ads, re: scammers:

1. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.
2. Legitimate ads almost always have a phone number or the seller will provide one after initial contact, if not, it is a scammer.
3. Any seller that wants to "Ship" a rig to you is a scammer.
4. If you can't see it first and/or have a "friend" look at it, it is a scam.
5. If they want a deposit via Western Union it is a scam.
6. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
What's already been said to answer this question is exactly right (thanks everybody!), but I'd like to emphasize that we here at FiberglassRV.com discourage people from putting their contact information in their ads.

The forums are subject to webcrawlers (which is a good thing) and you don't know how long your private information will be public.

DO CONTACT EACH OTHER via "Private Message" or e-mail. As Kootenai said: clicking on the seller's name provides options for doing this.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Here's one for sale in ME.
1998 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe Camper Trailer | Mt. Vernon, ME | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

New York
Using the private message appeares to be a safe way to go. And I already have had the experience of someome trying to scam me on craig s list so I am now aware of people who do such things. I didnt suffer any financial loss but had the chance to report them. Thanz for all the advice.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Tongue weight of a 17 can easily exceed 350 lbs. Proceed with caution. A 16 is a better bet for your '03 IMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

New York
Mike I talked to a few other rv ers who pull Freedom and Spirit 17ft rv with 03 hylanders and they have not had any trouble so far. Mine has 1MZ-FE engine with cargo load capacty of 3500 lbs. I also checked with my Toyota dealer who said that I would not have any problems without the towpackage. Thanks for the reminder to ck the wt on the tounge . I will do that and also be carefull with the wt in the trailer. thanks for your advice. Now I have to find a trailer.