Rookies checking in from Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 13' Burro
Colorado
Rookies checking in from Colorado

My wife Karen and I wanted to say hello to all you fine folks after joining your ranks by bringing home a brand spanking new to us 13' Burro on Monday. She hasn't yet told us her name (in other words, we haven't agreed yet) but we'll keep you posted.

I've been browsing the forum for the last few days and have already learned a huge amount - mostly I've learned how much I still have to learn. Yes, we're completely novices to the travel trailer game although I did a lot of caravanning while growing up in Britain. Thing is, my old Dad did all the work back then so I still consider myself a beginner.

Anyway, enough of me yacking. Here's a look at her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6147559926/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6751165...n/photostream/

The inside is in need of some love.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6147552502/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6147470366/

Mostly of the cleaning variety.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6147041339/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6146954903/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6147448134/

...although there's some repair work needed too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67511650@N07/6146919743/

But hey, spare time is overrated, right?

Looking forward to chatting some more with you all.

~ Andrew
Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Very spiffy! It looks like it has a fresh paint job (or gel coat) inside and out. I'm curious about the seats... it looks like they are simply carpet covered wood rather than the original foam bolsters. That looks practical and durable, but how comfortable is it? Tell me about the material used for the cabinet doors. It looks like some kind of chip board or composition board. Is that what it is? How is it sealed?

Welcome to the insanity. I'm just finding out how crazy I am and how my '83 Burro will "help me" continue that trip.

Regards,
Froggie
Attached Thumbnails
Froggie's Burro-1.JPG  
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Colorado
Hi Froggie,
The outside has indeed been (fairly) recently painted and is in quite nice condition. The inside, not so much. It's dirty and there are a number of marks on the fiberglass, some of which I think will scrub off, others which will probably need paint or some other covering. There are also several areas which have been repaired rather clumsily - big gobs of brown filler, with no attempt at sanding or even smoothing. Plus several small cracks and holes.

The seat cushions are gone but this doesn't bother me too much. I suspect that after almost 20 years they would be in fairly poor condition anyway and/or would have things living in them. We know a pretty good seamstress locally and we're hoping she'll be able to assist us with making new ones. Likewise, curtains to add to or replace the rather ratty blinds. For the moment though, it's just carpet on top of wood. More comfortable than you might think, but I wouldn't want to sit for too long.

As for the cabinet doors, I think they're just some kind of cheapo laminate. The table is the same ugly pattern so I think a spot of paint would be helpful there once we've decided upon the trim color.

We'll be spending a chunk of this weekend cleaning and I suspect that once we get started there, we'll have a better idea of what we've got ourselves into.

All good fun.
~ Andrew
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations on your new trailer. It looks like a great project that is almost useable as is! I'm looking forward to updates as you work, have fun this weekend!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Andrew and Karen, welcome to FiberglassRV and thanks for posting pics... or rather links . I'm sure you're thinking of wonderful things to make it uniquely your own!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD (on order)
Alabama
Andrew,

Thanks for sharing the phots! Congratulations!

I'm glad she found a loving home.
Kimbopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Eco Featherlite 1970 (Circa)
Registry
welcome

Andrew and Karen, I'm sure you will enjoy your new acquisition! Nice find. If your ever on the Western Slope look us up! Jeff and Diana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew and Karen View Post
My wife Karen and I wanted to say hello to all you fine folks after joining your ranks by bringing home a brand spanking new to us 13' Burro on Monday. She hasn't yet told us her name (in other words, we haven't agreed yet) but we'll keep you posted.

I've been browsing the forum for the last few days and have already learned a huge amount - mostly I've learned how much I still have to learn. Yes, we're completely novices to the travel trailer game although I did a lot of caravanning while growing up in Britain. Thing is, my old Dad did all the work back then so I still consider myself a beginner.

Anyway, enough of me yacking. Here's a look at her.

Egg 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Egg 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The inside is in need of some love.

Dining Room | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Couch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mostly of the cleaning variety.

Kitchen 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kitchen 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ugly Fridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

...although there's some repair work needed too

Closet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But hey, spare time is overrated, right?

Looking forward to chatting some more with you all.

~ Andrew
jeff isaacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff isaacson View Post
Andrew and Karen, I'm sure you will enjoy your new acquisition! Nice find. If your ever on the Western Slope look us up! Jeff and Diana
Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the offer. There's an awful lot of Colorado out there waiting for us to explore and the Western Slope is definitely on the list. Hopefully we'll get a chance to look you up soon.

~ Andrew
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #9

Name: Jo
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Texas
Registry
[QUOTE=Andrew and Karen;274125]Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the offer. There's an awful lot of Colorado out there waiting for us to explore and the Western Slope is definitely on the list. Hopefully we'll get a chance to look you up soon.

Hi, Andrew and Karen. We are new here, also. Just purchased a 1978 Trillium. Not in real bad shape, but lots of small fixes to do. We actually are from, and live in East Texas, however, from May until the first of October, we are fortunate to be in Colorado. We have a small "cabin", in Southern Colorado, near Walsenburg. What a beautiful place, with a treasure trove of intriquing places to visit, Co. is! We worked on our cabin for three summers and now, can finally venture out, again. Once you get across the huge state of Texas, you have it made. We are looking forward to some traveling, in our "cramper". Your unit looks great. Will be watching for your posts. Welcome. Jo and the old guy.
Jo R. is offline   Reply With Quote