Rpod potential buyer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Escape wood floor, reace posted here in the archives the details. Snoozy, Oliver and Nest no wood floor.

In the past, Escape did have a belly band seam leak Via a few S&S screws that penetrate the seam, Reace posted on the escape forum about it I think? or on their webpage at the time. Can't remember.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #22

Very interesting..... Thanks Ken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Escape wood floor, reace posted here in the archives the details. Snoozy, Oliver and Nest no wood floor.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
My Scamp has an OSB floor...ala.. wood chips...and yes coated in fiberglass underneath but still exposed to the elements. So if having wood in the trailer labels it a "sticky" then the Scamp falls into both categories. A FG Hybrid maybe?f.
I think you will find that most people in the world of travel trailers would suggest you are getting a little off track with the meaning of the term "sticky" in including any trailer with any wood in it

I believe Mike gave a pretty good definition of the term "sticky" when referring to trailers and one that most would agree with:

"But the concept of framing with 'sticks' of wood or 'channels' of aluminum is distinctly different from molding the entire body in two pieces and then bonding the halves together permanently."

If the IPod like the TADA is actually laminated fiberglass panels without any wood or aluminum channels? built into the walls then it is a bit of Hybrid but still not a moulded fiberglass trailer as most of the brands discussed here are.

And yes that is a full moulded fiberglass floor on the Escape (they are a number of moulded fiberglass trailer that is built that way - actually think its more common than not - Casita, Trillium, Surfsides, Bigfoot to name just a few.). Like most of the others it does though have wood sub floor on top of the fiberglass bottom. Some manufactures put a second layer of fiberglass over the wood sub floor (trillium?) while others just put laminate flooring over it.

There are less than a handful of moulded fiberglass trailers that don't put a wood subfloor over the moulded fiberglass bottom.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #24

I agree with what you're saying Carol, but the primary clarification was a "stick n tin" has always (all my RV life anyway) been considered a "conventional" built trailer: all wood framing covered in aluminum. To me that description wont change.

And the "stickys" - any rv having wood in them? Well.... everyone can just use their imagination on that...

NOW, after viewing the clip posted on the "tour of the R-Pod" factory? Yes, I was surprised to see "sticks" running between the laminated side walls!

Regardless, I'll just "stick" with my wooden-floored FG Scamp for now..
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I think we've beat the tangent (definition of the slang term "stickie") to death. Since this discussion has run it's course the Thread is now closed.