scamp 19 questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I do a fair amount of boon docking and get by with just fine with the 12 gallon water tank even taking showers, cooking and dish washing. Simple carry with me a couple of collapsible water jugs and take them with me when traveling around and fill them up where ever I can and just add to tank as needed. Like others I don't use the water in the tank for drinking as I often pick it up on the road so its quality is never really known. I carry extra jugs from home or other known sources for drinking water.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I second that. I never use fresh tank water for drinking/cooking, but for washing/showering only.
Hi Michael from VA. I have seen a number of posts from folks saying that they never drink the water from the fresh water tank - why is that? Does it taste bad; have a bad smell? As someone who will be boomdocking a lot I'm wondering what the issue is? Thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Hi Michael from VA. I have seen a number of posts from folks saying that they never drink the water from the fresh water tank - why is that? Does it taste bad; have a bad smell? As someone who will be boomdocking a lot I'm wondering what the issue is? Thanks

Good question Michael. From many comments on threads it seems to be about 50/50 on that. I think the biggest concern folks have is the water quality. I've had a number of RVs, all bought used and after bleaching/cleaning the system use the tank water for everything. Never had a problem with taste or smell. Maybe I've been lucky all these years
Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #18

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We never drink the water from the tank because of the size of the tank. I carry extra water in a foldable jug that was our water jug from the days of tent camping. It's the drinking water.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here's a thread you may find useful: Scamp with 2 fresh water tanks. One poster reported ordering a second tank from the factory, and another retrofitted twin tanks that were larger than stock.

Water is heavy, so you will need to make sure you have adequate hitch weight and haven't exceeded the trailer's GVWR. That's a lot of weight behind the axle. I wouldn't recommend it at all on a bumper pull, but a fifth wheel is inherently more stable. It would make sense to fill the tanks near your destination if practical.

Whether you have one tank or two, I like the idea of adding a deck hatch (see post #9) for ease of cleaning/disinfecting.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I think the biggest concern folks have is the water quality. )
Thats why I don't drink water from the tank! If its water I have picked up during my travels. I don't know the state of the water facility or private well or community well the water came from. I don't now when the water was last tested so I would rather not risk drinking it and getting sick while I am traveling.

I am worried about the state of my tank - I clean it a couple of times a year and if I have filled it with water from a known source then I am fine with drinking it from the tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
The water I drink is from Prescott, AZ. and taste very good. I have had water from San Diego, CA. that is safe to drink, but has a terrible taste, and I am not sure where San Diego is getting water to make into drinking water. When I went to school in San Diego I only drank bottle water and that was 40 years ago. I'm sure that other places have good tasting water as well as places that have bad tasting water. I don't care what it taste like when washing dishes or take a sponge bath.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #22

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve2002 View Post
The water I drink is from Prescott, AZ. and taste very good. I have had water from San Diego, CA. that is safe to drink, but has a terrible taste, and I am not sure where San Diego is getting water to make into drinking water. When I went to school in San Diego I only drank bottle water and that was 40 years ago. I'm sure that other places have good tasting water as well as places that have bad tasting water. I don't care what it taste like when washing dishes or take a sponge bath.
We always bring some drinking water from home. On longer trips we fill up at National Parks. Their water always seems to taste great. Rarely we buy a gallon of distilled water or a case of bottled water from the grocery store. We started a recent two month trip with 4 gallons of home tap water plus 24 commercial 16oz bottles, returning home with 8 or 9 unused. We refilled the gallon jugs as we traveled trying to find isolated mountainous sources at places like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Olympics, Big Sur, Bryce, etc. We often leave wintery Wisconsin with empty tanks as our water pump works better with liquid water rather than the frozen kind. As we head South temps rise and we fill up and tow with a full fresh water tank that is used for dishwashing, showering, flushing and toothbrushing.

John
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
FYI

Nestle pays B.C. government $2.25 for every million litres of water that they extract from the aquifer in Hope, B.C.

Nestle Pays $2.25 to Bottle and Sell a Million Litres of BC Water | The Tyee

Tags
scamp