Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp

Hi. I am a new member. I have a 13 foot 2015 Scamp and I am about to buy a Subaru Outback 3.6 engine to pull it. I have heard that this engine should be sufficient to pull my Scamp when fully weighted at1800 pounds. Or I may wait until next year when Subaru only has four cylinder plus turbo option, not 3.6. Should I wait for the turbo or proceed with 3.6?
I currently am pulling the Scamp with my Rav 4 six cylinder with no problems.
Dan
Dan Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I heard a rumor that the turbo will carry a 3500# tow rating. That may mean they finally address the restrictive tongue weight rating. That alone would be a reason to hold off a bit.

Of course, internet rumors are what they are. But the Ascent has come in line with competitors’ ratings, and I think there’s a chance the Outback may as well.

If it were me, I’d wait. The engine is already out in the Ascent, so we should be getting some user reports on towing performance and problems on the Subaru boards. I’d be watching them closely.

The RAV4 V6 is a very capable and reliable tow vehicle, so I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to buy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Name: Dan
Wisconsin
Re 2019 Outback

Thanks...good advise. Will go slow on my purchase.
Dan
Dan Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Tony
Ohio
input from the inexperienced

Not quite your question but close...I have a 2014 Subaru with the 3.6 - very happy with it. We are buying a 13 foot Scamp and hope to pick it up in July. I had to figure out what type of trailer I could get. The owners manual says the max gross trailer weight is 3,000 lbs and the max gross tongue weight is 200 lbs. (the 3,000 lbs requires electric brakes otherwise the trailer weight limit is 1,000 lbs) Additionally, the cargo capacity guidance on the inside of the drivers side door says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 900 lbs". With all that said I decided that I need to stay under 2,000 lbs. The Scamp 13 would work but the 16 wouldn't.

Two thoughts: First, the 3.6 comes with a traditional 5 speed automatic transmission. That went away with the new models. I do wonder how the CVTs work when towing often. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm ignorant on the topic and do honestly wonder. If Subaru says they are fine for towing then I'm sure they are fine. Second, In my deliberations I picked up an understanding that AWD may not be the best for towing. This is a feeling not a fact and is based on discussions with others. If we keep the Scamp as long as we hope I'll probably look at 4 wheel drive or even 2 wheel drive configuration in a new tow vehicle sometime after 2024. I do like AWD under normal conditions. The good thing is the 13 foot Scamp is small and I'm confident my Outback will be able to drag it around safely.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have a 2011 4cyl OB with CVT. Subaru extended the warranty on the CVT to 10 yr. or 100 K miles. It towed S-13's with no issues. I did tow a S-16 for a couple hundred miles and felt it might be a bit much for the car. We moved up to a larger camper and tow it with a P/U. We recently purchased a Lil Joe which I intend to tow with the Subaru. I will more than likely look at trading cars at 100K since CVT issues can get expensive. Also the Subaru CVT does not like to back up uphill especially with a camper attached, you really have to rev up the engine. We most do flatland towing.
The only issue with the car was the $800 electronic parking brake repair. Kind of bad since the parking brake was never used.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Those V-6 Ravs were very good for towing the class you’re describing. If the Rav is in decent shape, I’d stick with it till you’re sure if your course of action. My daughter has a V-6 Rav with 200,000 plus miles and going strong.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Those V-6 Ravs were very good for towing the class you’re describing. If the Rav is in decent shape, I’d stick with it till you’re sure if your course of action. My daughter has a V-6 Rav with 200,000 plus miles and going strong.
Iowa Dave
The Rav is good if you have the tow pkg. I use the rav 4 v6 with tow pkg. 2012 52000 mi. It pulls great, lots of power. The only thing is the interior is kind of small and not a real comfy ride. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Name: Nick
New Hampshire
I have the larger Scamp and an Outback and it works just fine. Maybe not over the Rocky Mountains, but even in the Appalachian mountains the Outback is fine. The one issue is the relative weight of the Scamp and the Outback, they are about the same. You should use an anti sway bar, watch your tongue weight, and drive under 60 MPH
Nick Loy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Minnesota
Another thing to consider

I took note of the fact that you are considering switching from a Toyota product to a Subaru product and most notably that you live in Wisconsin. I live in Minnesota and would never consider a Subaru for a vehicle, let alone a tow vehicle, because although they are great 4 wheel drive vehicles for snow unless you manage to NEVER drive them on snow that has been treated with melt of any kind, and maybe even if you avoid that, they are so prone to rust, particularly in the rear. The steel used in the manufacture of Toyotas and whatever coatings they use just seems to be better. My wife would love to have an Outback. They are cute or handsome or whatever term you like, but they rust as badly as anything built by Chrysler or Chevy. In this day and age paying the kind of many required to purchase a vehicle only to have it disintegrate is infuriating and a surprise if you are used to something built with more integrity The car that she inherited from her mom is a Hyundai and I think I would be more likely to chose one of their models or another Toyota rather than a Subaru. This has been a problem with Subarus in the North Country forever. You will always see older Toyotas on the road, but a dearth of old Subarus and Mazdas. I haven't mentioned the many folks who have had troubles with Subaru transmissions, but if you still need something to consider, there's that, as well. Best of luck
mwf5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
We tow with an 2014 Outback, 2.5l with the CVT. Little Joe loaded to go, 1760 lbs. Typically drive 55 to 60. We're at 87K+ and so far so good. Trans fluid analysis at about 60K showed fluid good as new.

One point to note; the Little Joe has a much smaller frontal area than the scamp. It's not just a question of weight.

Also, to have the higher towing weight you will need trailer brakes.

In any case, with extra umph(sp?) of the 3.6 I don't think you should have any problems.

Tags
scamp