Scamp Barn find! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm thinking this could probably be patched without replacing the whole dinette floor. The only concern I have is whether support for the shell is compromised at that corner since there isn't much frame support underneath. If you get a chance, post some pictures of the damaged area. Try to include some close-ups as well as some from a distance that clearly show the location and extent. It might be good to post them in a new thread in the "Owners Helping Owners" section.

At some point you will need to figure out why the damage occurred. Usually floor damage is caused by water leaking from above. In that corner, it could be the back window, the side window on that side, or possible the water line that used to run from the water tank to the sink. I assume the tank is gone, so that's a non-issue going forward. You can check the windows by spraying high pressure water from the outside and checking for moisture on the inside. I'd probably wait for dry weather to do this test. While you're at it you might as well test all the other windows and hatches. BTW- if you do find a window leak, do not use silicone caulk. It won't solve the problem and it will create more issues. There are better ways, and they aren't difficult.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #58

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thinking about getting the interior up to "happy wife, happy life" condition with minimal work…

I don't know if you ran across this thread in your searches, but I thought about you when I saw it:
New pics

A few things they did fit your situation.
  • They made a permanent bed in the dinette area, which you could do really easily, since you said you already have a brand-new mattress that fits the space.
  • They removed the stove and sink and installed an attractive counter on top of the kitchen base. The holes are covered and you'd have a place to set up your butane burner.
  • They removed the icebox and cut a door to cover the opening. Then they painted all the doors matching colors to brighten and unify the interior.

I can't tell what they did with the front end, but I'm guessing they turned it into a comfortable seating area.

With a little more work, you could make the front into a small dining area. Basically you cut out the center of the existing bench and put a small table in the middle.
From this:

Name:   IMG_6046r.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  22.0 KB
To this:

Name:   IMG_6052r.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  19.4 KB

Both of these trailers have the original Ensolite wall covering that has been cleaned up, caulked, and painted. The second has obviously had some professional painting and upholstery work done, but you wouldn't have to go that far.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #59

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
Bill what part of OK I am in ft smith AR and restoring a 13 trail mite , just bought a Dexter torsion bar 45 % down axle at ark trailer in ft smith with mount brackets for $328.00 BUILT FROM SCRATCH if you are close maybe we can get together .
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #60

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Thinking about getting the interior up to "happy wife, happy life" condition with minimal work…

I don't know if you ran across this thread in your searches, but I thought about you when I saw it:
New pics

A few things they did fit your situation.
  • They made a permanent bed in the dinette area, which you could do really easily, since you said you already have a brand-new mattress that fits the space.
  • They removed the stove and sink and installed an attractive counter on top of the kitchen base. The holes are covered and you'd have a place to set up your butane burner.
  • They removed the icebox and cut a door to cover the opening. Then they painted all the doors matching colors to brighten and unify the interior.

I can't tell what they did with the front end, but I'm guessing they turned it into a comfortable seating area.

With a little more work, you could make the front into a small dining area. Basically you cut out the center of the existing bench and put a small table in the middle.
From this:
Attachment 81547
To this:
Attachment 81548

Both of these trailers have the original Ensolite wall covering that has been cleaned up, caulked, and painted. The second has obviously had some professional painting and upholstery work done, but you wouldn't have to go that far.
Jon, those were some great suggestions! Thank you very much for the photos and link. I like the idea of a solid kitchen counter, and the addition of a door for the old ice-box area.

Later, I might make the front bunk area into a two seat dinette. I do like idea of a fixed bed, and front dinette.

I had thought that today I would be able to remove the mattress, and dinette seats, take some photos, and start doing a bit of clean-up.

However, I woke up this morning with my knee worse than yesterday! I am such a whimp, and my dear long suffering wife told me that if I went near the Scamp...she would kill me!

Back to the doctor on Monday!

Please be assured that I value each message posted here. I have made copies to refer to later when I can do more than whine!

Bill
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #61

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
Bill what part of OK I am in ft smith AR and restoring a 13 trail mite , just bought a Dexter torsion bar 45 % down axle at ark trailer in ft smith with mount brackets for $328.00 BUILT FROM SCRATCH if you are close maybe we can get together .
Hi BAMA, I live on ths south side of Oklahoma City near Moore,OK. Just down I-40 from you!

That sounds like a very good price for the axle. Scamp quoted me $310.00, plus shipping charges from Minnesota. Did the trailer company give you an est. of labor hours?

Bill
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #62

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Hi BAMA, I live on ths south side of Oklahoma City near Moore,OK. Just down I-40 from you!

That sounds like a very good price for the axle. Scamp quoted me $310.00, plus shipping charges from Minnesota. Did the trailer company give you an est. of labor hours?

Bill
that was out the door price not hard to install yourself follow my progress at this link . I will be posting new photos tonight .http://trailmitetales.webs.com/
Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #63

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
that was out the door price not hard to install yourself follow my progress at this link . I will be posting new photos tonight .http://trailmitetales.webs.com/
Bama, twenty years ago I MIGHT have been able to install the axle, but I haven't welded anything for years. And, overhead welding was never somthing I was able to do!

If the installation was a simple bolt on project, I might be able to do it.

However, it is mcuh smarter for me to pay an estimated 3-hours of labor than screw up the installation!

I'll be looking at your site to see your photos of progress.

Bill
Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #64

Oklahoma
Registry
New thread

I have posted a message on the forum "members helping members" about the wood rot in the floor of my Scamp 13 in case you might be interested.

And, want to offer me some advice on repairing this rot!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/n...ostthread&f=55

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #65

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Whatever you do, don't rip the Ensolite off the walls. No matter how bad it looks now, it can almost always be salvaged and with far less work and expense than replacing it.
I agree with this.. HOWEVER, I also wanted to add that removing a small area to work on what is underneath is not exactly problematic as long as you are careful and work slowly - it can be glued back in place very easily. I did this when I had to replace the tabbing that holds the front bunk support in place and after gluing it back, you really can't even tell it was ever peeled back.

That said, I did completely remove a very waterlogged section below my rear window and I probably won't be re-installing that (but I did save it, and I may use some of it for making repairs to other small damaged areas)- it was completely covered in mold on the back, so I am planning to replace it with a layer of reflectix with a layer of vinyl glued on top once I replace the wood table support - it won't be an exact match to the existing ensolite, but as I am planning on painting ALL of the interior of my trailer so it will match well enough when I am done

Tags
scamp