Scamp - Coeur d' Alene ID - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Sherril
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Idaho
Scamp - Coeur d' Alene ID

Bought a 1980 Scamp Sunday night in a matter of just a few hours. It's a long story, but it was meant to be. However, now my emotions all over the place.....excited to get out on the road and scared because it needs work and I've never been the biggest DYIer. This forum is great but any info I may have missed will be GREATLY appreciated.

1. Took the door to an autobody shop (coming off hinge). estimate was huge, so called Scamp and a new door is shipping today. Yay. Is this going to be easy for me to install? Is the color difference going to bug me? I needed a new lock as well so that's a bonus to buying the door.

2. Needs a thorough cleaning!!!! Have been reading about all of the products you all have recommnded but if I've missed some, pls let me know. (read about Sonic Scrubber, any others?)

3. I am so excited to begin painting. There are so many recommendations on here. Starting with the inside (ceiling is sticky, walls are dingy and parts of fiberlass on fridge & ceiling opening are an off white color but yellowed with age.

4. I am not sure how you all prepped before painting. Did you spray paint or roll? Cover with tarps or other items areas you did not want painted?

5. Th carpet is in OK shape but I think I really want more of a pergo or stick tiles. Any advice or opinions?

I cannot wait to begin this project and get out on the road but am quite overwhelmed to say the least.

Can't wait to do the fun stuff.....upholstery but know the painting and cleaning needs to be done first.

Thanks for all of your help. Looking forward to being a part of the board.

Sherril
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
First thing is make it useable. Grease the wheel bearings, check the tires(how old), make sure the tail and marker lights work. Then pick one thing at a time to do. When I got mine, I found that the bearings hadn't been repacked since new(more like tar). Then got all wiring working. I couldn't stand the stained curtains, so ordered new from Scamp. You'll learn to love it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Idaho
Thank you, Dennis. Know I am going to like this site just because of responses like yours. Do you
recommend taking it to an actual RV mchanic or would a regular car mechanic suffice for looking at wheel bearings?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Wheel bearings are simple to repack. If you haven't done it before, take it to a good car mechanic and ask if you can watch. Depending on how it was taken care of, you might need new bearings too(not expensive-most auto parts will have them in a kit-2 bearings and seal per wheel). If it has brakes(13' normally don't), have him look at them too while he has the drum off.

Scamps are fairly simple to work on and modify. I have added a couple extra 110v lights inside mine too. You're right, this is a good place to ask questions and learn. Have fun.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome! There is a wealth of knowledge here with much willingness to share. Great advice to take care of the essentials - tires, wheel bearings, lights, water leaks before jumping into aesthetics.

When you have the bearings repacked, ask the mechanic to look to see if it has the attaching plate for brakes on the axle. You may decide that you want brakes at some point and it is easy to install them if the right attaching plates are there.

It looks like the square plate on this spindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Spindle_with _brake_flange.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Sherril, welcome to FiberglassRV. You've already received some excellent advice.. but, I just wanted to say
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Cleaning supplies list

LA Awsome cleaner (pump spray bottle from $ store) a scrub brush with a handle, rags and a rinse bucket works well for cleaning ensolite walls (white pebbled vinyl like surface) and fiberglass too. Mine was tacky like a post-it note.

Follow with Star Brite fiberglass polish or similar product (auto supply store or from scamp) and a rag plus elbow grease and it will go a long way to restore shine and color to inside fiberglass. BUT don't do this if you plan on painting the surface. Paint won't stick to polish.

Just using some really fine rubbing compound from auto supply store would be better if your going to paint the surface because it does not leave a polish layer behind but will rub off some of the top layer of FG and leave a "new" surface showing.

Bar Keepers Friend powdered cleanser is great on aluminum, and even works well to get those run down streaks off the outside FG if you have any of those. I used it for some inside cleaning of fiberglass and aluminum.

Auto detail brush from big box or auto store is a real handy tool for the small spaces. It's a pretty stiff scrub brush but small enough head and long enough handle to get into tight spots.

Please post pictures! People love before and after pictures. Plus pictures of pretty much any stage in between to be honest.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

Michigan
I should also add if your not painting the outside this post on using inexpensive floor polish on the outside has some pictures with stunning results.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

It took a couple of hours and $15, made my 77 scamp gleam like a new trailer. Well after a two days of cleaning on the outside followed by the two hour polish job.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture2024.jpg
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Idaho
Thank you Roger & Thomas, such great information and advice. So glad I found this group. Definitely taking before and after pics, but have a feeling this is going to be a never ending project.

** waving to donna too, thanks for the welcome **

Sherril and her yet to be named 'lil Scamp
Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
Thank you Roger & Thomas, such great information and advice. So glad I found this group. Definitely taking before and after pics, but have a feeling this is going to be a never ending project.

** waving to donna too, thanks for the welcome **

Sherril and her yet to be named 'lil Scamp
Your most welcome, much of what I put down was passed to me by others on this forum. Just paying it forward.

As long as you can get it cleaned and to a safe usable condition go out and enjoy making camping memories, knowing with each step of your "project" results you get to enjoy and gain satisfaction from your efforts on your next camping trip.

Tags
scamp