Scamp owner from New Mexico - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Scamp 16ft.
New Mexico
Scamp owner from New Mexico

I just joined the forum. Thank you to Donna D for directing me here from the Scamp Trailers facebook page. I bought my 1981 Scamp in 2010. The ground was getting harder to tent camp and I was thrilled to find my Scamp! It gets to go out at least once a month and the rest of the time is parked in my side yard. I often sneek out to the Scamp for a cozy nap on weekends and even spend the night from time to time. I look forward to being a member of this forum.
krboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
krboren,
Welcome to FRV from the other end of the country. I always find it interesting seeing Scamp owners in the South & they're made in Minnesota & here I am with a Casita made in Texas, up North in ND. The owners of the two companies are related. Lots of good info here and great people.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
to the forum. Not only is the ground getting harder it seems it's getting colder too
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum. We also have a 16' Scamp: Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head & a 2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper.

Yep, they do beat a tent for comfort & easy. We had a reminder of this in 2010 up at Cloudcroft when using a tent along with the Scamp. After a good rain with hail plus some more rain, the tent wasn't as dry as the Scamp.

I spent the last night in the bed of the pickup under the topper after one night in the wet tent with my wife & I. Daughter & grandson had spent a couple of night in it before the rain. They moved in with grandma & I took the camper shell. Ha! Would have been ok, if I'd brought a blowup bed in twin size. A folded up queen size one was not too soft, even with a few blankets on top.

I was hoping to get out some this last fall & winter, but have not found or perhaps taken the time to do so. Maybe soon we'll get the chance to get out now.

Here's to many a safe & enjoyable outing in your Scamp,

DesertHawk

Between the Rocks at the City of Rocks State Park.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #5

New Mexico
I'll be on the lookout for you Adrian. I've mostly camped in the State Parks this past year. I've really been enjoying the electric hookup. Happy Scamping
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
City of rocks is a really neat park. We should make it to NM within a week.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
More CG in south central NM

Oliver Lee State Park, Alamogordo NM is also a wonderful place to camp - a lovely campground with nice facilities. Very close to White Sands NP. Also Three Rivers Petroglyphs - a BLM site not far from White Sands. Very small cg but stop and take a walk among the petroglyphs - amazing!
Oliver Lee:
Oliver Lee Memorial
409 DOG CANYON RD
Alamogordo NM 88310

44 sites, water & electric and dump station, restrooms & showers.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
32.74667, -105.91583
32°44'48"N, 105°54'57"W

LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 12 MILES SE OF ALAMOGORDO, NM. FROM ALAMOGORDO, TAKE US HWY 54 SOUTH 8 MILES. TURN LEFT(EAST) ON DOG CANYON ROAD AND GO 4 MILES TO THE PARK.

3 Rivers BLM:
Facilities
The site offers 5 shelters, 1 group/handicap site, and 2 RV sites. Pets are allowed in the campground, but NOT on the trails. Restrooms and drinking water also are available.
Location / Access
The site is located 17 miles north of Tularosa, NM, and 28 miles south of Carrizozo, NM on U.S. 54. Turn east from U.S. 54 at Three Rivers onto County Road B30 and travel five miles on paved road, following signs.

Bosque Birdwatchers RV Park in San Antonio, NM
Further north, just off I-25 about 10 miles south of Socorro is San Antonio, NM and the entrance to the Bosque del Apache Wildlife refuge where tens of thousands of sandhill cranes and snow geese (plus eagles) are waiting out the winter. A small, barren but conveniently located cg is just outside the refuge.
38 sites - all full hookups

This time of year, reservations are advisable.
Enjoy!
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One of the nicest campgrounds with or without electric at extremely good rates is a BLM campground north of Alamogordo (and/or east of San Antonio) near Carrizozo, NM; the Valley of Fires BLM Campground is a first rate campground with electric & water hookups, good dump station and a fine shower house. Pics & description can be found: Cloudcrof, Lincoln/Capitan, Carrizozo/White Oaks. A favorite of mine.

Another neat place but without electric or water hookups & without a shower house as well as being away out in the boonies, but also a BLM site, it can be reached from the east off of I-25 near Socorro, take US 60 towards Datil, Passing the VLA before you get to Datil & the Datil Wells BLM Campground.

Datil Wells BLM Campground; when we were towing with the Ford Ranger.

The Aguirre Spring BLM Campground east of Las Cruces off US 70 is not too bad of a place. Small like Datil Wells, without water, or hookups. A neat place I have always enjoyed.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

New Mexico
Thanks Adrian for the campground info. I have never tried the BLM campgrounds in NM but I will now! I've mostly camped at the Desert Cove campground at Elephant Butte during the winter "off" season. I love walking the dogs around the "beach" of the butte. The campground is quiet in the winter and I have never had trouble finding a spot. The showers are mostly hot and usually clean. I also like Oliver Lee State Park. I've tried to stay within an hour or so from Las Cruces...with the gas prices as high as they are. We are blessed people in NM to have such wonderful open area and empty space!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,,, other then a quick drive threw back in 1969 on my way to southeast asia for the military, never been to your fine state.
one day we will tour it though.
i too sneak off to my camper for some me time or a nap. up till now though it was a teardrop camper.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I sometimes go to my trailer to read, and end up getting drowsy. It's a relaxing place.

NM is really varied and pretty. I like the high elevations, including Hyde Park SP. One can climb the ridge there (not difficult) and see a long, long way.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Fran, Norm and Ginny and Adrian, thank you for all of the campground info. I was there in recent years but do not have a trailer yet so I was not looking at such places. Expect to go back soon in style! Will definitely want to get to some of those you mentioned. Adrian, I was in Cloudcroft but only by accident crossing the state. All of a sudden I am at 8600 ft in winter. I am sure Cloudcroft is nice for staying and will do that some time.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp

« 1984 UHaul | Thanks »