Seeking advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud

Do a search of this forum. There are threads about things that can be done to store FB trailers in garages.

Can't you park it on grass, i.e. back it onto the lawn and eventually gravel that part of the lawn?

CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Elizabeth, I did not think I was an RV type either - most vacations prior to the trailer were spent with tents on backs or bikes or in kayaks paddling around the west coast. After one very wet 20 day kayaking trip on the northern west coast of BC - where we did not see more than a couple of other people I was sitting in the ferry line up and I saw a small fiberglass trailer (think it was a Casita) and decided I wanted one! The idea of having a nice warm *dry* bed had great appeal to me at the time! :-)) The trailer has turned out to be a great base camp for a number of adventures in areas I may not have gone to without it.

Before you decide what to buy I would *really* recommend attending a fiberglass trailer rally. Nothing beats standing in a trailer and taking a real good look at its features or none features in helping to decide what you want and dont want! At first I thought I would be a happy camper in a 13' Scamp but after sitting in one I decided that if I was going the RV route I really wanted the shower & toilet due to the types of areas I was planning to camp in. Didnt want to be tied to full serve parks. I also did not want a trailer I would need to buy a big vehicle to tow it with as I live in the city and cant afford to own two vehicle's. The latter requirement meant I needed to do a lot more homework regarding actual weights of the trailers loaded and it narrowed my search down greatly.

There are a number of fiberglass meets coming up in California and Oregon very soon that IMHO would be well worth your time to drop in and check out all the trailers. A map showing the meets & dates can be found here.

Edit: forgot to mention I also traveled with a large yellow lab for a number of years - the 16' worked well as the front bottom bunk was his - the big bed wasnt big enough to include him!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #31
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lizzie, I know several people mentioned the Oregon Rallies but wanted to remind you that CA has several great rally's as well.

Lake San Antiono (check the rally forum here on fiberglass) Sorry, I tried posting a link to it but for some reason my new computer isn't letting me.

As well as the Lake Casitas Rally, usually in Oct, though I couldn't find the Post about the it.

There are several other rally's and get to get together's that will pop up all across CA. Which might give you more options as well.

Good Luck.............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Contemplating a purchase

Thank you all again for such great information. I am planning to "pop-in" at the rally at Lake San Antonio. I hope no one minds if I just pass through as a look-loo! I tried to convince my husband to go and camp for a night, but in the end the idea that if I don't push him to hard, he might come around to buying one - won out!
We actually have been talking a lot about it over the last few days and I have contacted some mfgs. I don't really want to spend the money on a new trailer, but if I can get exactly what I want - that sounds so appealing.

I have been looking at our driveway and alternatives for the garbage, recyclables and green waste (which actually is about 36") and thought that if the trailer is manuevered with a dolly, it might just be wide enough for the cans to squeak by. Heck, my father-in-law's gargantuan Chevy Tahoe is parked in the driveway right now - I ran out with a tape measure and measure it, and I'll be darned if it isn't about the size of a 16 ft trailer!
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Elizabeth, any molded trailer wouldn't mind sharing garage space with garbage cans... truly
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Lizzie, I bought my little FG trailer in 'ready to camp' comdition for $4000. Pretty frugal I'd say. That is for a 13footer, with just a porta pottie.
(FYI, morning privacy costs extra)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
I am a fairly new fiberglass camper owner though I have loved them since seeing my uncles Scamp when I was in my early teens and knew then eventually I would have one. It took my almost 2 decades but I finally found one I could afford last August. Up until the day I hooked it to my Jeep and towed it home I had zero knowledge or desire really to "redo" an old camper I wanted a new one but settled for what I could afford. Once I started working on my "new to me egg" though I found out that they are really really easy to clean up, fix, and do simple modifications on. I have loved every minute of getting my camper ready for the road and I like to think by being patient and buying used I saved myself roughly $10,000.00, lol. My point being don't shy away from some of the older and used eggs out there as short of the "new egg" smell they are all pretty much the same with a little work and your husband I bet would love saving that extra cash.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Aside from agreeing with most of what was already said, I'd like to add my 2cents. After tent camping for my entire life, at the age of 27 we bought a1978 20' class C for $3,000, loved it! when the divorce happened I decided someone who knows how to fix motors and brakes would be a better owner and started eyeing the sides of the road for a tow behind. That's how we happens upon the play Pac. We bought it for $600, having NO IDEA the whole FG lovers that were out there. I know the electric lights work and it is road safe and has a bed, potty closet and the windows leak a little. But that's good enough for me!!! I can pack it and go and have the bare necessities. The minor repairs will come with time. For now I am happy that we have it and it allows us to get away without spending alot. I am 37 and the queen of frugal!!!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT

We just spent 10 days in our 16' U-Haul in fed rec areas spent $20 altogeather fore camp sites, loved it, if it was not for the small size we could of not stayed in some of the sites, easy on gas, we have a 27' with a slide out in Michigan, but like the FG better.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #38
Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
The best thing about owning a trailer aside from the bed being off the ground is... you can leave most of your camping stuff in the RV. You only have to pack a few things and you're ready to roll.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Hi Lizzie....welcome to the site. You will get all the info you need by going thru the different discussion groups. My hubby (59) and I (61) had done the tent, then on to a camper for yrs. We have friends that were selling a work in progress, and after attendee the FGRV rally @ Lake Casitas, Ca. (near Ojai/Ventura) we were sold on RVing with the group. We are considered the SOB's (some other brand) of the group. We dont have a FBG but an aluminum 1972 Cardinal Lowliner. She was a total wreck but with help of many hands and hard backs she is now a veteran of the road. Most of the folks we rally with have "Casitas" and everyone seems very happy. Room for two humans and dog & cat. Yes, we have several people that bring their cats along. We bring 3 dogs. Watch the board for sales and the people here will always help with any advice you need.
Welcome and hope to see @ a rally.

RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote