Senior gal looking for easy lightweight trailer - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #57

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Probably should go to the T@B forum for specific information and knowledgeable owners:

https://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com

Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #58

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
It’s like going to a ford forum to get advice on buying a Chevy. There are forums for pretty much everything out there.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Thanks. I live in upstate NY and when not pulling my trailer, my vehicle has to be able to handle snow, so I want AWD.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #60

Name: MN Marsh
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
Thx, Thrifty Bill and Razrbrn, I'll check out their forum. How do you compare the two types? Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of taste?. I like the look of the Nucamp 320 S and it offers me everything I need for me and pups. I would seriously consider a Casita Patriot, not Scamp.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #61

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of taste?

If you want one to last a long time, the fiberglass campers is the way to go. Superior, yes. If you like to replace your camper more frequently, go with the others. People don't realize my camper is 33 years old.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Erickson View Post
Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of tast?
I am kinda biased, but, in my opinion, there is no comparison. Much longer life, which is why a 40 year old, tiny trailer can sell for $10000, if restored. The round shape is more streamlined and the trailer is light, so your gas consumption is lower.

And best of all, they look cool. Total conversation piece.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #63

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Bias? Marsh, I am unable to detect even a hint of bias on these boards.

Best of luck making memories regardless what brand you choose. Many (other) RVs take a big depreciation hit when they are driven off the sales lot. That can make them attractive despite not lasting 50 years. Again, no bias here.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #64
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The benefit to fiberglass is it has no joints to wiggle loose and leak. The only potential leaks are where the holes are. All the other stuff, the lights, the appliances, etc. are the same. And RV stuff in general is junk. I have a 13' Trillium with lots of Jalousie windows which I can open in the rain. That's why I bought the trailer. It suits my style of camping. If my trailer were totalled, nobody makes a replacement. Used is my only option. Most likely, I would look at a new T@B. Bigger bed. Nice windows. About the same size. Fits my needs. Lasting 40 years is really not an issue for me. But lasting as long as I want to use it, is. Do your homework, I would.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #65

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Of course we're bias, it's why we're here instead of some other forum. Remember what it says on the home page?
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #66

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bias

well this is a board called fiberglass rv where all the trailers are fiberglass! I sort of don't get the question?

bob
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #67

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Marsh, thank you for your years of service to our country.

I towed with a 2008 Highlander AWD (came with tow prep package, including more transmission cooling) for 140,000 miles. I tow a cargo trailer for work, that's how I got so many miles. You will love your HL. I miss mine... the comfy ride, the great speakers. But my wife hated the seats, so I replaced it with a Lexus GX470. I like the V8 and load leveling air suspension, but it is still a truck!

I had a used Burro for a while, but sold it because I wanted something with a bathroom (and shower) and brakes. So in 2011 I got a new KZ Spree Escape E14RB. It netted me about 2 mpg less than the Burro when towing, and it was noticeably cheap construction. The roof was an ugly thing that let water pool on it. The decorative things over the windows kept falling down because the screws only went into 1/8" luan and then foam. The cabinets were stapled together. Stapled! The hanging rack in the closet fell down... staples failed. It was tolerable, but I sold it. Then I tried an Aliner for a year, didn't like the little things that kept going wrong with it (for example, one day a side window simply would not close!!), so after a year I sold that too. Anyway, all my trailers have been 3500 lbs or less, and the HL handled them all ok except toward the end the trans temp light was coming on while towing the KZ up long grades. The KZ was 7' wide by 100" high, and boxy. If you pick out a rounded, aerodynamic egg like Scamp, Casita, etc I think you'll be very pleased with the way the HL tows it.

Even though the Toyota hitch receiver for the HL is waay expensive, it mounts higher than the aftermarket receivers and this gives you more ground clearance if you get onto some rough trail or go through a swale. I'd recommend the OEM receiver.

Last but not least, if you're looking for purpose in life, you can find what I consider a splendid purpose if you read through Mark's Gospel all the way to the end. Just a suggestion!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #68

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Note that 'KZ Spree Escape' has nothing to do with and in no way resembles an Escape.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #69

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Erickson View Post
Yes the AWD knocks the tow capability on my Sienna from 3500 down to 1500. Its'a 2017 lease so I think I have to put a 13ft Scamp out of my mind. Kicking myself for leasing a wimpy Tow vehicle.

Our 2013 AWD Sienna had a 3500# tow rating. But it also had the factory “tow package”.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #70

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
On the Home Page of FGRV: (I see Donna has one posted, too...)

Are we biased? If having a preference is a bias, then yes.

"Welcome to FiberglassRV.com your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer RV website! This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers. Various topics include maintenance and repair, towing, modifications, and almost anything else related to molded fiberglass travel trailers that you can think of. Share and find the best places to camp. Post your trip reports. Post your favorite camping recipes. Share your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer knowledge and experience. Check out the various rallies posted by our members worldwide. Find out how other experienced Eggheads repair electrical, plumbing, and all those other little things that may need attention. Post information on molded fiberglass travel trailers for sale, or wanted. Classifieds are free to our public members. Dealers pay a nominal price to help maintain this valuable website. We encourage your participation.

"FiberglassRV.com is a constantly expanding website (with 45,094 members) that is updated daily. Register now and experience the best Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer website on the internet. We hope you find the topics both interesting and helpful and we look forward to meeting you. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com!"

BEST
Kai

Tags
light, weight