Senior gal looking for easy lightweight trailer - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #61

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of taste?

If you want one to last a long time, the fiberglass campers is the way to go. Superior, yes. If you like to replace your camper more frequently, go with the others. People don't realize my camper is 33 years old.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Erickson View Post
Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of tast?
I am kinda biased, but, in my opinion, there is no comparison. Much longer life, which is why a 40 year old, tiny trailer can sell for $10000, if restored. The round shape is more streamlined and the trailer is light, so your gas consumption is lower.

And best of all, they look cool. Total conversation piece.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #63

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Bias? Marsh, I am unable to detect even a hint of bias on these boards.

Best of luck making memories regardless what brand you choose. Many (other) RVs take a big depreciation hit when they are driven off the sales lot. That can make them attractive despite not lasting 50 years. Again, no bias here.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #64
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The benefit to fiberglass is it has no joints to wiggle loose and leak. The only potential leaks are where the holes are. All the other stuff, the lights, the appliances, etc. are the same. And RV stuff in general is junk. I have a 13' Trillium with lots of Jalousie windows which I can open in the rain. That's why I bought the trailer. It suits my style of camping. If my trailer were totalled, nobody makes a replacement. Used is my only option. Most likely, I would look at a new T@B. Bigger bed. Nice windows. About the same size. Fits my needs. Lasting 40 years is really not an issue for me. But lasting as long as I want to use it, is. Do your homework, I would.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Of course we're bias, it's why we're here instead of some other forum. Remember what it says on the home page?
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #66

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bias

well this is a board called fiberglass rv where all the trailers are fiberglass! I sort of don't get the question?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #67

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Marsh, thank you for your years of service to our country.

I towed with a 2008 Highlander AWD (came with tow prep package, including more transmission cooling) for 140,000 miles. I tow a cargo trailer for work, that's how I got so many miles. You will love your HL. I miss mine... the comfy ride, the great speakers. But my wife hated the seats, so I replaced it with a Lexus GX470. I like the V8 and load leveling air suspension, but it is still a truck!

I had a used Burro for a while, but sold it because I wanted something with a bathroom (and shower) and brakes. So in 2011 I got a new KZ Spree Escape E14RB. It netted me about 2 mpg less than the Burro when towing, and it was noticeably cheap construction. The roof was an ugly thing that let water pool on it. The decorative things over the windows kept falling down because the screws only went into 1/8" luan and then foam. The cabinets were stapled together. Stapled! The hanging rack in the closet fell down... staples failed. It was tolerable, but I sold it. Then I tried an Aliner for a year, didn't like the little things that kept going wrong with it (for example, one day a side window simply would not close!!), so after a year I sold that too. Anyway, all my trailers have been 3500 lbs or less, and the HL handled them all ok except toward the end the trans temp light was coming on while towing the KZ up long grades. The KZ was 7' wide by 100" high, and boxy. If you pick out a rounded, aerodynamic egg like Scamp, Casita, etc I think you'll be very pleased with the way the HL tows it.

Even though the Toyota hitch receiver for the HL is waay expensive, it mounts higher than the aftermarket receivers and this gives you more ground clearance if you get onto some rough trail or go through a swale. I'd recommend the OEM receiver.

Last but not least, if you're looking for purpose in life, you can find what I consider a splendid purpose if you read through Mark's Gospel all the way to the end. Just a suggestion!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Note that 'KZ Spree Escape' has nothing to do with and in no way resembles an Escape.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #69

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Yes the AWD knocks the tow capability on my Sienna from 3500 down to 1500. Its'a 2017 lease so I think I have to put a 13ft Scamp out of my mind. Kicking myself for leasing a wimpy Tow vehicle.

Our 2013 AWD Sienna had a 3500# tow rating. But it also had the factory “tow package”.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #70

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
On the Home Page of FGRV: (I see Donna has one posted, too...)

Are we biased? If having a preference is a bias, then yes.

"Welcome to FiberglassRV.com your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer RV website! This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers. Various topics include maintenance and repair, towing, modifications, and almost anything else related to molded fiberglass travel trailers that you can think of. Share and find the best places to camp. Post your trip reports. Post your favorite camping recipes. Share your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer knowledge and experience. Check out the various rallies posted by our members worldwide. Find out how other experienced Eggheads repair electrical, plumbing, and all those other little things that may need attention. Post information on molded fiberglass travel trailers for sale, or wanted. Classifieds are free to our public members. Dealers pay a nominal price to help maintain this valuable website. We encourage your participation.

"FiberglassRV.com is a constantly expanding website (with 45,094 members) that is updated daily. Register now and experience the best Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer website on the internet. We hope you find the topics both interesting and helpful and we look forward to meeting you. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com!"

BEST
Kai
Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #71

Missouri
Mike we loved our A-Liner Scout we got more lookers at that thing then our 13f scamper. the A-Liner had much more room than our scout but the scamper much easier to keep warm less drafty and no aluminum to condense water on.

ours was a 2008 not one minutes trouble would still be in it except rod replacements pushed me to the 13f scamper.

I know you weren't smashing the A-Liner just differernt strokes for different folks I guess!

I love them both no problems with either

bob
Old 03-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #72

Missouri
raz my 13f scamper just 33 years old the old girl is just getting started. I paid 5k for it and I know it could sell for more than that at the right time. the only thing needed is I am starting to shop for tires!!

I am not selling!!

bob
Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #73

Name: MN Marsh
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
Great insight/info. Thx. I've traded vehicles (took a hit) but now have 5000 lb tow cap. with Toyota Highlander. Just posted a new thread about maybe I should consider a 16 ft Scamp rather than 13 ft since they are so hard to find and I'd like to buys this spring. Lead time at the factory is out into November. As soon as the snow switches to rain for sure, I'd like to be camping in a new (used) unit. Any thoughts? Thanks so much
Marsh Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #74

Missouri
you need a mentor

marsh you need someone to advise you. there are several 13s for sale here right now but your inexperience is really hard for you.

maybe some of the gals will pitch in for you to save you from making some major mistakes.

I feel for you as your are just sort of jumping right in I think you have the right plan just need some help with your search!

we need to know for instance what size you want, what your money range is?

maybe you can get some help

good luck

bob
Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #75

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
tow vehicle

The 4 runner has a long following nad they are very difficult to beat. I'd go with the 4 runner. As far as brake wiring, it just runs off the 7 pin plug that is on your tow vehicle. Not to worry, great vehicle and great trailer. Personally, I don't drive faster than 55 MPH with my 17 ft Casita, I tow with a Chevy Silverado. I would rather have the 4 runner though. Driving where you are going should be a relaxed fun part of the journey! All the best,
Dave
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #76

Name: Shari
Trailer: Boler 13 77
Florida
I am a senior single, weekend camp with my dog. Have had several types of trailers and campers. Fiberglass seems like the way to go as there are fewer places to have to reseal every year. Regular trailers tend t develop leaks at roof seams and walls tend to delaminate. I would suggest a newer but used 17 Casita or Scamp. Have it inspected by a trusted dealer and try for a used vehicle warranty.
Don't know how to pm on here but there are some other camping groups you might like. One is Rving Women.
Sharylmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #77

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Aliner vs casita or scamp

Hi,
I have owned several aliners and about 6 Casitas and acamps, I am 70 years old. The Aliner was nice but had a fair amount of issues that should be considered. The piano hinges get ice cols and wet. I had concers about the structure under harsh wind conditions, the latched degraded in a couple years. One of my large springs broke right thru the back of the trailer. I never had any real issues like these with my fiberglass units and a couple were over 20 years old. Also, tremendous condensation in the Aliner! Maybe I didn't ventilate it properly but again, never had that with the fiberglass units. Also the latter always made me feel more secure aas far as security goes.
The aliner was very easy to tow, only took a half minute to setup, much less expensive but I definitly will stick with my Casita which I prefer over the Scamp.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #78

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a Casita which I bought new in 2013. I had a leak due to a loose/broken rivet. I keep the unit in a garage, so it really is not exposed to the elements while at home, and I did not notice the leak. While on the road a thousand miles from home, during a pleasant storm, wife and I got into bed and...drip, drip, drip...both of us getting hit right between the eyes. Only two drips in the entire trailer and it got both of us at the same time, both right between the eyes.
what are the odds? But eventually I located the single source, a rivet.

The Casita has a lot of rivets. But once it was taken care of no more leaks...until I suppose we are on the road a thousand miles from home.

The slab sided trailers, even the small ones, have positive things about them. Because they are square you have a bit more storage. They are cheaper. Some of the retro ones look cute. The appliances are the same one we have in our molded trailers. Even the Airstreams have many of the same appliances that we have.

When I brought the Casita home I had to take the TV wall mount off and turn it around, it had been installed backwards. I added some caulking here and there, made a few modifications. It would be the same with a slab side trailer. You may find a few issues and mistakes. Rice is 750 miles form home, so I take care of every thing myself. Preventative maintenance is key to both types of trailers.

If you are old like my wife (not me, even though she is SAYS she is younger than I am) there is really no need to buy a trailer that will last 50 years. 10 to 15 years is even a stretch for us...er...her.

So consider the floor plan, think about where you will take it, and what you may want in a trailer 3 or 4 years from now, and don't worry about longevity. Get the biggest you can afford or tow. Most forum members like their molded fiberglass trailers so much they probably will be buried in them when the time comes. But for every one forum member there are 10 or a 100 that do not even know this forum exists. And many of those owners wind up moving up to either a larger molded trailer or just go into a slab side, for whatever the reason.

Everyone says they will mostly stay outdoors, some say they don't need air, or a furnace, or a bathroom, or awning, or stove, or microwave, or what ever. Just think about what YOU will need.

Nothing like a furnace to provide just a bit of heat when you are on top of a mountain in the summer in the rockies and it's 40 degrees outside. Or a bit of cool air in the winter in the SW: Cool nights, hot days maybe a bit of shade from that awning you did not think you would need. You may need to spend a bit of time in the trailer if you get caught in a week long downpour in WI or MI: A little bit of extra room sure feels nice....better to have it available and not need it than to need or want it and not have it.

Just take care of whatever you buy. It will last as long as you need it to.

And don't worry...be happy!
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #79

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Thumbs up

RZBRN...one of the most eloquent and expressive post on the subject I have ever read my hat is off to you sir...I know 15 yrs will bring my to my 80's and if I can still go, well then WOOHOO and I bet my Casita will keep up with me......
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #80

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
4runner limited full time 4 wheel drive

Quote:
My dealership got back to me and they are willing to work a trade deal for me. I will be looking at Toyota 4-runners or the Tacoma pickup. Don't like the high step-up but that's why God made running boards. Any of you experienced TV guys have an opinion on what's available within the Toyota line? I'm going on the philosophy that if I had to keep my van I'd be buying a class B of some sort, so I'm throwing cost out the window for now. The 4-Runner Limited with full time AWD looks pretty nice, thoughts?
Here is my 2018 Toyota 4runner limited. Ordered oct 2017, received nov, 2017. Not sure ab High lander but I believe 4runners have factory built in tranny cooler( mine is). Old school, body on frame, towing capacity rated 5,000lbs. High off ground, mine is 7 seater. Share
Attached Thumbnails
20180330_163633.jpg   20180330_163540.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight