Senior gal looking for easy lightweight trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #41

Name: MN Marsh
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
The dealership I have dealt with for many years now and 4 Toyotas put my hitch on and the owner says "do it" when I talk to him about pulling a lightweight trailer. I don't think there would be a problem with them taking my van back at the end of the lease, but there's always the money lost in outfitting the van to pull.
Marsh Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I also had a good relationship with the local Toyota dealer. Still, they gave me some bad advice on one towing-related matter.

Our Sienna lacked the tow package, and I asked about adding a transmission cooler to pull our Scamp 13. I was told I didn't need it because it was under 2000# (tow rating without the tow package, which would have included the cooler).

I should have gotten a second opinion.

We overheated the transmission on the first long grade on our first trip. I was in a lower gear and taking it slow, but it wasn't enough. Sensors caught it before catastrophic damage occurred, but sitting on the side of the interstate for 45 minutes waiting for it to cool down was not fun.

Going by weight alone, I should have been fine. But the higher profile of the Scamp caught a lot of air, increasing the load on the drivetrain. Not as bad as a boxy conventional trailer, but enough to tip a marginal situation over the edge.

When we got home I realized a number of upgrades were needed. As the Sienna was 13 years old and had 180K miles, we decided a new vehicle made more sense. We ended up with a 2-year old, low mileage Honda Pilot, in part because it came with a factory integrated hitch, trailer wiring (including brakes), transmission cooler, and a 3500# rating.

You'll have to make some tough decisions. You are asking the right questions, and that's a good start.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #43

Minnesota
Thx Jon in AZ. I'm only 5 months into a 3yr lease. I'm going to ask the dealership about swapping out my lease for a 4-Runner or similar that can easily pull a 2500 lb trailer. I think I'm crazy to think they might entertain the swap but doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jon I read your post of your car shutting down due to transmission heat. Interesting! I have a 98 vw beetle diesel. once in an old age mode I put gas in instead if I recall the tank was 1/2 full.

I made it on a trip about 130ms and the car shut down it must have some sort of sensor to shut it down if wrong fuel is added I put it to the test. it had around 100k on it it now has 200k so I guess that incident didn't hurt the motor!

its great stuff they put on cars now until the mechanic gets stumped trying to figure some things out!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Erickson View Post
Thx Jon in AZ. I'm only 5 months into a 3yr lease. I'm going to ask the dealership about swapping out my lease for a 4-Runner or similar that can easily pull a 2500 lb trailer. I think I'm crazy to think they might entertain the swap but doesn't hurt to ask.
A dealer will do anything... for a price.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #46

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I also had a good relationship with the local Toyota dealer. Still they gave me some bad advice.

Our Sienna lacked the tow package, and I asked about adding a transmission cooler to pull our Scamp 13. I was told I didn't need it because it was under 2000# (tow rating without the tow package, which would have included the cooler).

I should have gotten a second opinion.

We overheated the transmission on the first long grade on our first trip. I was in a lower gear and taking it slow, but it wasn't enough. Sensors caught it before catastrophic damage occurred, but sitting on the side of the interstate for 45 minutes waiting for it to cool down was not fun.

Going by weight alone, I should have been fine. But the higher profile of the Scamp caught a lot of air, increasing the load on the drivetrain. Not as bad as a boxy conventional trailer, but enough to tip a marginal situation over the edge.

When we got home I realized a number of upgrades were needed. As the Sienna was 13 years old and had 180K miles, we decided a new vehicle made more sense. We ended up with a 2-year old, low mileage Honda Pilot, in part because it came with a factory integrated hitch, trailer wiring (including brakes), transmission cooler, and a 3500# rating.

You'll have to make some tough decisions. You are asking the right questions, and that's a good start.

Best wishes!
:Jon either your EFI failed or you have a Carburettor which picked up a Vapor Lock and it takes a while for that to cool off before you can get going again. EfI fails occasionally then it needs fixing because even when cooled down it won't move.
Kowtz one thing I have learned over the years is to not buy anything without looking a unit over and checking as much as I can see before paying a lot of money for it or even $100.00
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #47

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
A dealer will do anything... for a price.
True. And the price has to be weighed against the time lost in postponing travel, which to quote one very experienced member, you can never get back.

Compared to what some people put into large motorhomes, the cost of upgrading the tug and purchasing a late model molded trailer is still fairly modest.

Of course it has to be weighed against your overall financial situation as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #48

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I like Jon’s post. Yes it can incur costs to make the swap. But what is camping NOW versus two and a half years from now worth. If it fits within your finances I’d consider it!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #49

Minnesota
Agree, we'll see how it goes. A class B would be spendier still.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #50

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I think that's a Cricket trailer.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #51

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Marsh- for about 8 years DH and I and the cats traveled and stayed at KOA Kamping Kabins. They're a 10 ft by 10 ft cabin with a double bed and a set of bunks, an interior light and usually 2 electric outlets. I've talked to 2 people who travelled coast to coast staying at Koa Kamping Kabins.
Technically no cooking in the cabin, but I used an electric kettle for coffee/hot cereal in AM and electric skillet for a variety of stir-fries in evening. That 90 second microwave rice doesn't really need to be heated, you know.
I knew I would want to bake and bought a small toaster oven and some Viking toaster oven sized pans. Also a 1.5 liter Hawkins pressure cooker. "Test drove" a variety of recipes and wound up incorporating that little pressure cooker into my stickbuilt kitchen and buying a second one for the camper. But I know I've got a certain number of recipes that I can use without doing too much math to convert from 4 servings to 1 or 2.

But start camping NOW. You don't know what the future holds for you. I have worked in both long term care and Hospice, and have seen far too many spouses who put their lives on "hold" till their spouse retired- when they were going to travel and do stuff-and within 3-6 months the retired spouse would have a stroke or massive MI or be diagnosed with Cancer or the at home spouse would realize they were no longer up for the plans they had nurtured for decades...My original retirement plan was to thru hike the ATand North Country trails. I am no longer physically able to do that. I am so glad I did so much backpacking in my 30s and 40s now.
ETA neither car of ours was rated for towing ANY vehicle. I KNEW we'de have to buy a new one, and we picked one with a tow capacity of 7500 lbs (just in case anyone wanted to upgrade to a heavier trailer down the road) My curb weight after our first campingtrip was 2463 lbs. That may have included some water in the fresh tank.I took all the rations out.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #52

Minnesota
Wow Mitzi, thx so much for your valued experience and insight. I'm no spring chicken, will be 70 this summer. I've done quite a bit of camping in my younger days, but retired early and moved back to family. This resulted in no purpose, no identity anymore so have been dealing with depression/anxiety. I'm a veteran and have a wonderful white shepherd service dog, no not the fake kind you hear about-- she and I have been a professionally trained and certified team for almost 4 yrs. I feel a need to do a little exploring in my senior hood, but it's really important to be independent as I plan= my own trailer. Thx for your kind words-- I'm working toward the goal. On my way to dealership, they will trade my leased van for a worthy TV!!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #53

Minnesota
My dealership got back to me and they are willing to work a trade deal for me. I will be looking at Toyota 4-runners or the Tacoma pickup. Don't like the high step-up but that's why God made running boards. Any of you experienced TV guys have an opinion on what's available within the Toyota line? I'm going on the philosophy that if I had to keep my van I'd be buying a class B of some sort, so I'm throwing cost out the window for now. The 4-Runner Limited with full time AWD looks pretty nice, thoughts?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Maybe look at a Highlander too. The 4Runner is an old-school rugged body-on-frame vehicle that might have a higher tow rating (not sure), and definitely has more off-road capability, including a low-range transfer case. The Highlander is a unibody design, no low range, but will be roomier inside and get better mpg when not towing. But it should tow the campers you are talking about no problem.

Either is a fine choice, though.

Heck, if cost is no object then a Land Cruiser is worth a look too.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #55

Arizona
Registry
Agree with Steve about the Highlander. Both have the same tow rating, 5000# properly equipped. Highlander makes a better daily driver, while the 4Runner has more off-highway capability.

If I were thinking about a Casita 17D, with its high tongue weight, or another larger trailer I'd give the nod to the 4Runner. For a Scamp 16, the Highlander is more than enough.

Another factor to consider is how much towing set-up is included in the tow packages. In particular I'd try to find out whether there is wiring for trailer brakes.

Personally I'm not a Tacoma fan. If I needed a compact truck, the Nissan Frontier is a my choice. In general trucks are not great daily drivers.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #56

Minnesota
Highlander it is. Had to take a hit, but now I have a good TV. Now the fun search begins for a little trailer. Appreciate all your great advice about a good tow vehicle. Any comments on the Nucamp 320 S? Or is that blasphemy on a fiberglassrv site? Apologies in advance if so.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #57

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Probably should go to the T@B forum for specific information and knowledgeable owners:

https://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #58

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It’s like going to a ford forum to get advice on buying a Chevy. There are forums for pretty much everything out there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #59

Trailer: Casita
New York
Thanks. I live in upstate NY and when not pulling my trailer, my vehicle has to be able to handle snow, so I want AWD.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #60

Minnesota
Thx, Thrifty Bill and Razrbrn, I'll check out their forum. How do you compare the two types? Is a fiberglass superior or is it just a matter of taste?. I like the look of the Nucamp 320 S and it offers me everything I need for me and pups. I would seriously consider a Casita Patriot, not Scamp.

Tags
light, weight