Shopping around - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Hope
Trailer: Looking to see what's all out there
Florida
Post Shopping around

Hello everyone! Hope here, I've been wanting a travel trailer every since I was little girl. I Would see Winnebagos when we would travel to Florida to visit family and always wanted one My question is what made you guys decide on the travel trailer you have? I'm leaning toward the Scamp 13' w/bathroom. It's not too small but not too big. My dream is to have an Airstream but that's later on down the road.
HopieGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Hope!

We were looking for a small camper, not necessarily molded fiberglass. My wife was not a camper, but the rising cost of motels at our favorite vacation spot convinced her to give it a try. Our requirements were ready-to-use condition, under 2000 pounds, beds for 4, and around $3500. After missing out on several small tent trailers, the Scamp showed up just 30 miles away. We had to stretch our budget a little, and it was in our driveway within 24 hours.

What do I like about the Scamp?
  • no wet canvas to deal with, and easy set up
  • can use trailer during stops while towing
  • very simple- we have a very basic model with stove and icebox, no bath- so minimal maintenance
  • easy to set up and take down beds
  • room for four to eat & lounge on a bad weather day
  • my wife finds it very comfortable, so camping is now a regular family activity
  • good resale value
What don't I like?
  • dinette bed is narrow for two adults (45"), so we had to adjust our sleeping arrangements
  • have to set up and take down beds each day
  • towing a trailer requires a slower pace than traveling with the car alone

The 13' Scamp is really tiny: the cabin itself is only 10' long. For some it's just right, but for others it is confining after a few days, especially with a bathroom taking up the front 2 feet. The remaining space is smaller than our closet at home! I'd recommend getting a firsthand look so you can decide if it works for you. One way to do that is to attend a fiberglass egg rally. Some even have a time set aside for open house tours. Most welcome prospective egg owners for a day visit- contact rally coordinators for advice. Here's a link to the 2017 Rally Map.

You also need to consider what you plan to pull it with. If it's a vehicle you already own, read all the towing information in the owner's manual. Figure 1800 to 2000 pounds for a Scamp 13 with a front bathroom and the usual options and packed for travel.

Best wishes finding the trailer that's right for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #3

Florida
Thank you Jon in AZ! I'm working on trying to go to some of the Rallies to get a firsthand look at the different travel trailers. My tow vehicle will be an FJ Cruiser. I figured I would start out with a small one and work my way up to big girl status
After having to evacuate with my job back in October due to hurricane Matthew and not being able to find a hotel, I said I need to really narrow it down to what kind of trailer would suit my needs and wants the best. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Well we got into fiberglass trailers after my heart attack 7 years ago. I fly RC planes and was attending fun flies out of town and would have to drive home after the first day. I was talking to a friend and mentioned I would like a Boler. He told us that his old Ventura trailer was being sold by the person he sold it to. The Ventura was a Canadian built 13' trailer. We jumped on it for $800 and started fixing it up. We used it for 3 years and totally redid it. We decided a larger one would be nice. A 1996 Casita 17SD came available in North Dakota so we set off south and picked it up. Those extra few feet AND a bathroom, we feel like royalty. The Ventura was put up for sale (with a lot of tears from the wife) and it sold in 1 hour for $4800 which covered about 1/2 the cost of our 1996 Casita.

Some of our friends don't understand the allure of the small trailers but we can be packed and on the road in no time and we love it. We have no intention of selling it any time soon.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hope, since it seems like you want a bathroom, you might want to consider a 16' Scamp as well. I didn't look it up, but I'm guessing your FJ might pull it (about 2500-2600 pounds loaded). A 16'er with a bath might be easier to find used and not that much more expensive, either. Due to their popularity, the 13'ers carry a bit of a premium on resale. Casita also makes a 16'er. It's a little heavier, but still under 3000 pounds loaded.

One step closer to "big girl status"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Actually , when we bought the Casita, Gene, the previous owner, had a 16' and the 17sd and sold them both and bought a brand new 16' Scamp. It was a very nice trailer. I think I would go for the 16 with the bathroom if that's where you think you want to go. Yes the trailers hold their value but there is usually a lose on resale when you factor in any mods and changes you make on it. Definitely look at a range of trailers if possible. Contact Scamp for names of people in your area that will show off their trailers (yes they get paid referral fee).

The best features of the 17SD to us is the side dinette and of course the bathroom. The run to the outhouse in the rain at 4 in the morning paid for the Casita. The side dinette allows us to keep the bed up and still have seating in trailer (especially in the rain). The 13' Ventura was a little tight when the weather turned. If we were younger with better bladders, then we would have been fine with the 13'. You also have to factor in the cuteness factor of the small 13' and factor in at least 1 or 2 guided tours in parking lots, gas stations and just about anywhere you stop. The bigger ones, don't seem to draw as much attention.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

Florida
Thank you for your input Dudley. You are right about the cuteness factor on the smaller trailers. I have been looking at the 16' Scamp and the Casitas. Just need to see one in person and see how I like it. I live in north FL and I see a lot of 20' or larger trailers here. Not that I often I get to see one smaller than that. I'm not rushing into anything though, going to take my time and find what is the perfect or near perfect match for me.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #8

Florida
I have to start out slow before I can reach my "big girl status". LOL
Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Shopping around

Hope,

In a couple of weeks, there should be about 60 fiberglass trailers (of many makes/models) at Highlands Hammock SP near Sebring, Fl.

I can't think of anything better that you could do for your shopping than attend the "open house" day at a fiberglass trailer rally.

You can find more details at the "Scamp Owners International" website.
http://www.scampowners.com/events/sc...017-sebring-fl

Also look at threads on this forum containing the words "Scamp Camp".

Trust me/us on this one! Even if you have to drive for a couple of hours to get there, it will be worth your effort to get to an FGRV rally. Maybe borrow a tent or rent a cabin and stay a couple of days? There is a huge benefit in being able to see lots of different trailers and talk with their owners!

Good luck! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I second the motion: try to attend a rally! FG owners at the rallies are very open and welcoming with visitors. They tend to be proud of their babies and eager to give tours. Take time to sit down for a few minutes in each brand of trailer and feel its ambience. You will have fun and learn a ton!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #11

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Hope,

I see you are already getting great feedback and comments from the great folks here.

Laura and I are empty nesters. I discovered RVing about 2.5 years ago and spent a year or so researching. I thought it would be something that we would do after retirement in a decade. But, I had the bug, so we decided to look small and used. I then discovered molded fiberglass egg campers. These guys giving you feedback, did the same for me. They said go to a rally. There was one just a couple of hours a way. We went and we loved it. Amazing little trailers owned by even more amazing people. We bought our new to us Casita one month later!!! We camped 38 nights this past year and LOVE egg rallies. My advice. . .GO FOR IT. Enjoy the journey finding your camper, research, and then be ready to move (quickly).

Also, Laura and I were first very interested in a 13' Scamp Standard Layout 2 Big Bed with a bathroom. I realize that a bathroom takes up a lot of real estate in a 13' trailer, but for Laura and I we would NEVER own a trailer without a bathroom. We are very happy with our Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe, but I think your 13' Scamp with a bathroom is a perfect place to start.

Keep us posted!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Gale. as you look at trailers, try to make a list of what's important to you. My list was:
1) I wanted to be able to stand up inside without stooping. (I'm 5'10")
2) It needed a bathroom and full kitchen.
3) The trailer could be towed with a smaller SUV.
4) I wanted to be able to have both the bed and dinette usable at the same time.

Then make a list of where and how you expect to use the trailer. For instance:
1) Do you want to mostly boondock in the great outdoors or will you be camping at RV parks?
2) Will the trailer be always on paved roads or will you take it down dirt roads?
3) How many people are going to be with you?
4) What will I be towing the trailer with?
5) Do I want to buy used or new?

If you don't have lists, then you're in danger of "falling in love" with a particular unit and putting yourself at the mercy of the salespeople. At dealerships, that's why they have the units all set up with sheets on the bed and dishes on the table. It's a trick that makes you imagine yourself there rather than concentrating on the practical stuff.

Just as I was finishing getting the hitch installed on my tow vehicle and doing the wiring, my 1996 Casita 17 showed up on CraigsList 60 miles away. I was ready and scooped it up.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hiya Hopie (any chance you named yourself after Love & Rockets??) My first retirement plan was to backpack the Florida Trail, Appalachian Trail, North Country Trail and Pacific Crest trails.

Physical deterioration and the loss of my cat led me to change my thoughts to an Aspen motorcycle camper pop up I could pull with my lightweight 4 cylinder Toyota. Researched it thoroughly including necessary equipment and had documents in my computer I only needed to print out.

In 2007 I kept my promise to my grandkids to take them to Niagara Falls and to make it worth their while since I had already committed to a 2006 trip to the NW Ontario Boy Scout High Adventure Base with a provisional troop (my 4th trip) I took off the month of June, bought a tent bigger than my first apartment(the Tent Hahal), rented a van, and took the 13 yr old and 8 yr old north thru NW GA, KY, Pittsburgh, and NY to Niagara Falls. Reminded of why I had begun to think past time to give up tent camping. Pitching and striking camp took between 20 and 60 minutes daily. Packing up a wet with dew tent led to mold and mildew. That long midnight trek to the bathhouse!

Started to rethink the popup. First researched ultra light stick builts with aluminum frames. Found that THAT version of ultra light often ran over 8,000 lbs. Discovered slides were messy, prone to leaks, and pets got inside them and got injured on occasion.

My DH wanted a van camper. We did buy a camper van from 1985 and used it 3 times before we wound up with hideous leaks that about destroyed the interior. Nevertheless DH wanted to use THAT van as the tow vehicle. We spent most of last summer attempting to have it repaired to the point where it would have usable as a tow vehicle. DH finally understood it wasn't going to happen. So we started looking for a tow vehicle as well as an RV.

Next I discovered Rpods. I thought this was the answer, but became a little concerned about the inability to get one without a slide. Still, I thought this was probably THE ONE- till I saw the Rpods at Camper Corral for sale- and actually got inside one. Very inefficient use of space and no way big enough for the two cats we had then.

Looking at the AARP magazine saw the ads for Casitas and Scamps in the classifieds and went to google Scamp. Got led by that google post to THIS website. Discovered there were WAY more fiberglass trailers than Casita and/or Scamp. Started researching again, looking at floor plans. We had 3 cats that would need to come with. As an ultralight camper from way back, I wanted small and lightweight, but with enough space for the kitties. Plus DH told me he meant to follow through on all his promises to go camping with me "SOMEDAY". I knew he would need more space than I would necessarily need. WE were looking at the two factories closest to our adult children- Parkliner and LilSnoozy. We did tour both factories and look at both

. Parkliner I would've had to keep bunk beds set up to give the kitties enough space, and we would have had to change each morning the bed to a dinette and each evening the dinette to a bed.

LilSnoozy had a dedicated bed and a HUGE underbed storage we could turn into a cat haven. The all electric appealed t me also, but we got a generator so as to open up campsite possibilities. It is big enough for someone who found tents confining, and we are comfortable in it. DH wanted the upgraded marine toilet so we wouldn't have to mess with a "black cassete" inside. Frankly, the absence of a larger black tank needing dump stations is a plus. We ordered late March and took delivery December 1st.

I had bought a screen house to try to keep a small area mosquito free for me but it's not working out for the cats- being floorless they can crawl under the walls. Gonna try a drop cloth attached to the four corners as a floor next time. If that doesn't work out I may have to bring the Tent Mahal along to serve as a screen house- even tho it does weigh over 38 lbs!!

So that is the story about how over the space of years from 1993 I got to here, ith my LilSnoozy.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #14

Florida
Hello Mitzi....I don't know where my aunt got the name HopieGale from LOL. She is the one that gave me that nick-name and it stuck. Thanks for your input. I haven't been actively looking right now, busy with work and all. Any chance I get I am online trying to research as much as possible. Hopefully I get to a couple of rallies before summertime.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #15

Florida
Great points Terry G. I have pretty much narrowed it down to my needs vs wants. I'll know for sure once I am able to go inside of a TT and see just how much space I'm really going to need. Thanks again for the information
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopieGale View Post
My question is what made you guys decide on the travel trailer you have?
We needed a camper that would be light enough to pull with our Chrysler 300 and small enough to fit inside our garage. We picked a Compact II and have no regrets. Enjoy the search!

~Brian
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Here you go, even in Florida. Jump right to big girl status.
1999 Casita 17sd

Tags
scamp