Shopping/deciding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #1

Name: Che
Trailer: shopping
California
Shopping/deciding

Hi! I am Miranda. I am putting myself into a new rv from a 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer. I suddenly thought of a Scamp and now I am so excited about fiberglass. Does anyone have any thoughts about a scamp 16 vs an escape 19? For me, I am trying to decide on a single axel vs a tandem axel. Any thoughts on how it will ride, etc.?

Thanks!
chemira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Huge difference in the ride between a single axle with two 60 psi tires and a tandem axle with 50 psi tires. My Casita was like a jack rabbit over RR tracks and my Escape is more like a turtle that just trundles along.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Some of which to look at will depend on the tow vehicle (TV) that you have. That will determine the weight you can pull safely and therefore the size of the camper.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #4

California
I am towing with a Toyota FJ cruiser. The Pioneer is about top of it's limit and I am going lighter. Leaning to the Scamp which is drastic lighter. I hope it will be comfortable, though. The 19 foot trailer might be too long for FJ's short wheelbase? I am not sure. I might like a jackrabbit instead of a turtle? I wish the scamp had tandem axel. . .
Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #5

California
Scamp is 1000 pounds lighter and $10,000 less expensive than the escape. Roughly. And then maybe I will still be less mobile because of size. The risk of that single axel. I guess I will rent one and try it maybe?
Old 08-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My take... The number of axles does affect towing characteristics, but it would not be my primary criterion for choosing a trailer. Layout and functionality, as well as overall size and weight, are much higher on my priority list, and these two trailers are very different in that regard. You can contact both manufacturers and let their sales departments set you up with local owners for in-person demos through their referral programs. I think you will find big differences that may tip your decision.

You might want to look at the Escape 17 as well. Size, weight, and price-wise it's between the Scamp 16 and the Escape 19. Single axle- as are most trailers under 3500 pounds GVWR- means half the tires to buy, half the bearings to maintain, and lower tolls on roads, bridges and ferries.

Renting is difficult. I know of only a few places that rent molded fiberglass trailers, but none that rent Scamp 16s or Escapes. Dan's Trailer's in Woodland, CA rents a 13' Scamp and a 17' Casita.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

California
Thanks. I will contact them.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemira View Post
I am towing with a Toyota FJ cruiser. The Pioneer is about top of it's limit and I am going lighter. Leaning to the Scamp which is drastic lighter. I hope it will be comfortable, though. The 19 foot trailer might be too long for FJ's short wheelbase? I am not sure. I might like a jackrabbit instead of a turtle? I wish the scamp had tandem axel. . .
The Escape 19' is quite compatible with your FJ, which should have a towing capacity of about 5000 lb. I have towed an Escape 19' quite easily with my 2011 FJ since I purchased the Escape new in 2013.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+100 Night and day comparison here.

Escape is a lot more expensive and 3 1/2 feet longer. With that 3 1/2 feet, you get a much bigger bed, much bigger dinette, much bigger bathroom, and more. The biggest bed you can get in the Scamp 16 is 52 inches wide (and only in the deluxe model, otherwise the bed is 44 inches wide), while the Escape has a 60 inch wide bed. Escape dinette is 44 inches wide, Scamp is more like 24 inches.

To be fair to Scamp, they squeeze a lot in a 16 foot trailer. But don't expect them to match the features of the Escape, there just isn't enough room. A more equitable comparison would be with the Escape 17.

Once you go inside an Escape 19, the Scamp will look really cramped and small. We did the same thing when we had a 17 foot Casita. We went to our first molded trailer rally, got the chance to tour an Escape 19 and we immediately started shopping.

All that being said, some people camp successfully in a 13 foot trailer, so the 16 foot Scamp would be large. It helps if you are coming from tent camping. Everything looks roomy! We originally camped in a mid size fifth wheel trailer, so just about every molded trailer is small in comparison.

For the price, you get a lot with a Scamp 16. But it will be no comparison to the spaciousness of the Escape 19.

With the larger size, you are pretty much forced to go dual axle. All the smaller sized trailers out there are single axle.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemira View Post
Hi! I am Miranda. I am putting myself into a new rv from a 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer. I suddenly thought of a Scamp and now I am so excited about fiberglass. Does anyone have any thoughts about a scamp 16 vs an escape 19? For me, I am trying to decide on a single axel vs a tandem axel. Any thoughts on how it will ride, etc.?

Thanks!
Sounds like you need to get to a FGRV rally or two... You don't need to camp there to talk to owners.

Check out:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-ca-80055.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lly-77600.html

Perhaps a Casita would suit you? I agree that one or two axles would not be what I would worry about except to the extent that the camper weight was appropriate for my tug.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #11

California
I would like to get to Lake Casitas. We'll see. Thanks for your thoughts about the axels and thinking about a more practical approach to my choice of trailer home.