Single independent momma loves her BF! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: 1992 17ft Bigfoot-Gaucho model
Alberta
Smile Single independent momma loves her BF!

Hi all I'm new to this forum but not new to BF trailers. I've owned my unit for 6 yrs now and *I would love a copy of the 1992 BF17ft Std OWNERS MANUAL if anyone has one they could email me please

I recently started noticing that when I'm towing my BF other BF owners stick their arms out there windows while passing and give us a 'thumbs up' signal & seem sooooo excited to see a fellow BF'er lol. I knew when I bought this trailer that it was one of the best made units out there and that the older models are somewhat of a collectors item and I couldn't love our unit more. The sheer amount of storage space alone makes me giddy lol. I mostly love that I'm able to be so independent as a single mom and tow our 1992 17ft gaucho model with my smaller V6 SUV comfortably now that my old truck has gone to pasture. The light weight, solid walls, and 2 bathtub fibreglass mold construction designed not to allow moisture in or any have any screws that could come loose in walls while travelling absolutely lends itself to why they retain their values so well even into the 30-40 yr old marks.

REPAIR QUESTION:
My door hinges are starting to pull out of the upper edge of the trailer so I need to lift the door by the handle and push it in in order to close it completely. Has anyone else encountered this and what was your solution??

Thanks,

Susan
Meahsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
welcome....

I'm on Vancouver Island with a 97....(CB model)......and yeah, it's not surprising other BF owners wave...I know I do....BFs are pretty easy to spot from a distance given the high boxy front profile (storage baby!)

and yes they are "rare" I guess....I wish I had a buck for every time somebody has come over in a parking lot to talk about them.....they don't make 'em anymore (1500 series)....and the 17.5s are "worth the moon" IMO anyways (there was one advertized just north of here a few days ago for 16,000 dollars... lowest priced 17.5 I've ever seen)

the complaint I have with my door is the squeak....can't seem to be able to get rid of it....happens only during certain weather conditions....funny....and annoying....gobs of oil/sprays have not brought the problem to it's knees....

your problem....I don't have enough information to form an opinion on the fix.....I looked at mine and it does seem to be a non-adjustable item....the only real fix would probably be replacement.....other than that if it was me I'd look at finding/making a tapered plastic "block" (plastic cutting board?) and fastening it on the door opening sill...or better even to the bottom of the door....in each case as the door is about to make contact with door frame the block would lift it slightly....eliminating the need for you to do it manually.....

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
ggd.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
oh, and manual...

the only "Owner's Manual" I have seen is more of a sales brochure than an actual operators manual....not much help/info at all. I was lucky that mine came with all the appliances owner's manuals and those are very informative for both operating and repairing aspects....if that is what you're looking for specific companies have their manuals online....

if you're looking for a wiring diagram.....they don't exist....never did.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
gone.....

that 17.5 for sale in Campbell River for 16k.....is gone....no surprise....there's another one for sale in Nanaimo.......for 28K !!!!!!!

call that "both ends of the scale".......somebody got a steal in CR this weekend!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meahsmomma View Post
Hi all I'm new to this forum but not new to BF trailers. I've owned my unit for 6 yrs now and *I would love a copy of the 1992 BF17ft Std OWNERS MANUAL if anyone has one they could email me please
Do "BF" stands for "Boy Friend"?-)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #6

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Welcome!

Oh, you're so gonna' love this forum. The folks here are not only extremely knowledgeable, but when I ask stupid questions no-one laughs (at least not out loud). Every time I've had an issue, I get lots of helpful advice. (I've not had the problem you mention, but I'm sure someone here has.)

I have a 1988 17' Bigfoot that I live in full-time; nothing like them, IMHO. I've been offered twice the original cost, so, yeah, I'd say they hold their value nicely.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #7

Alberta
Smile They are selling for over $20g's???

Thanks for all the replies everyone! All the info I got was helpful but I'm kinda blown away by the prices you were mentioning for resales......I bought my baby 6 years ago for $5500 from an amazing elderly man who was an engineer and had taken so much pride in his unit. He actually modified the washroom and took out the cabinet underneath the sink and enclosed the lower half where the pipes are with a hidden compartment & lid to make more usable open space / room and not feel sooooo boxed in. It's what a 2.5 x 3 ft washroom? It's perfect for my daughter and I as we are small but it was hilarious to watch an ex (personal trainer / body builder physique) use it!! Every time he turned or moved the door would fling open LMAO!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
price....

the prices I quoted were for 17.5s (2500 series, produced from 2005 on) which are quite different than yours and mine (double pane windows, more insulation, heated tanks, heavier)

where I live 17s (1500 series), in decent shape routinely sell for between 8k and 12k
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

where I live 17s (1500 series), in decent shape routinely sell for between 8k and 12k
That would be because BCers are discerning folks. You're well aware of quality when you see it.

(BTW, are Bigfoots still manufactured in Armstrong? That's the birthplace of mine. I was not there for the blessed event, but my parents were.)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meahsmomma View Post
...it was hilarious to watch an ex (personal trainer / body builder physique) use it!! Every time he turned or moved the door would fling open LMAO!
LOL! That would be what I'd call "wearing the bathroom." Did you take pictures??
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
yep still there...

from what I heard/read....after the 2008 bankcrupcy former employees took it over and are still pumping out product in a very "disciplined" manner....commanding a very dear price for what they produce....

I still remember the words of an owner of a very nice BF trailer that I "missed"....."you buy one of these...for what seems like a high price...own it and use it for a few years...fiddling/fixing/upgrading it to your liking....and then sell it for exactly what you paid for it in the first place"

not that bad of a deal really..."they don't make 1500s anymore"
Attached Thumbnails
bf.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'll look at my door when it's light tomorrow to see what you're talking about and see if I have any ideas.

One good thing to know about this and any forum is that photos make all the difference.

I have a 91 and mostly live out of it and yep, they're great. I just got to a campground (one of the rare times I'm ever in one) and saw a newer (than mine) 19' BF...which always make me jealous. Hopefully I'll get to meet them before the weekend is over. Too much weight for my truck but...basically our same exact trailer, with the two extra feet taken up by a full-size fridge.

Francois has it right: owners manual won't tell you a thing. I have all the documentation that came with my trailer. It consists of a sales brochure that has my options highlighted, then the helpful stuff is all the individual appliance manuals. Stove, toilet, heater etc are all made by different companies and installed in the trailer by BF, so they've got their own manuals.

But no, no wiring diagram or plumbing diagram or anything like that.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I'll look at my door when it's light tomorrow to see what you're talking about and see if I have any ideas.

One good thing to know about this and any forum is that photos make all the difference.

I have a 91 and mostly live out of it and yep, they're great. I just got to a campground (one of the rare times I'm ever in one) and saw a newer (than mine) 19' BF...which always make me jealous. Hopefully I'll get to meet them before the weekend is over. Too much weight for my truck but...basically our same exact trailer, with the two extra feet taken up by a full-size fridge.

Francois has it right: owners manual won't tell you a thing. I have all the documentation that came with my trailer. It consists of a sales brochure that has my options highlighted, then the helpful stuff is all the individual appliance manuals. Stove, toilet, heater etc are all made by different companies and installed in the trailer by BF, so they've got their own manuals.

But no, no wiring diagram or plumbing diagram or anything like that.

Actually i found the manual which i needed for info on the basic care & maintenance more than anything else.

I will have to take some pics of the door and post. thanks for the tip

I currently tow mine with my 2008 Rav4 V6 and i'm thankful i found a 1500 series because i don't winter camp and don't need that, now std feature, in my unit. Plus i like lighter trailers, the 2500 series would have put me over the tow lbs allowed for my vehicle. My little rav is a workhorse through the mountains i routinely drag my trailer through every summer. It lacks in comfort but the V6 models (no longer made) make it so i can travel the other 10 months of the year with a low gas cost & for those 2 summer months allows me to tow. Can't ask for better than that in my budget lol.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #14

Alberta
Hahaha i got one of him in the trailer but no not the bathroom skit lol.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #15

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Hi

I full time with my kids in a 1980 B-17. It is a great little trailer.

There could be lots of reasons for the door issue and the fix for each one.

The door could be sagging from the hinges or the front side wall

The roof could be sagging

The board that is between the fiberglass shell and the inside wall could be rotting and slowing the frame to sag and twist

You could have a frame sag or damage and the floor is sagging

I would start by parking it some place that is level and seeing what you get.

Amy
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:11 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I wonder if I had started my daughter out RVing instead of car camping as an infant if she would have liked it better??