So many choices... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
Hawaii
So many choices...

Hey guys/gals!

I don't own a trailer yet, and I wouldn't consider myself in the market for one just yet either. I'm still two years out from getting one because I live in Hawaii and I'm really not sure where I'll end up next. Getting a trailer is dependent on where I end up. I'm hoping for Washington state or Alaska.

I do have some questions though. I love the 17' Escape, but my wife doesn't. She doesn't like the 'egg' look of these trailers. So that would throw out the Escape, Scamp, Casita, Trillium etc. Ultimately, I'll make the decision and she'd be willing to live with it. The only problem with the Escape is its price tag.

A trailer with an AMAZING price is the KZ Spree-Escape. I amazed at how cheap they are for the size and interior look. What I am worried about is quality. I haven't read a single negative thing about Escape Trailers. Where-as I've read some questioning discussions on these KZ ones. What do you guys think? I can get the KZ E19BH for about 13-14k, and the Escape 21k without options added!

Oh, why am I asking questions 2 years ahead of time? I like goals, and I need a focus to save money up or else I spend it

Thanks,
Alex
ialex2005i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
You gets what you pay for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i View Post
I love the 17' Escape, ... The only problem with the Escape is its price tag.

A trailer with an AMAZING price is the KZ Spree-Escape. I amazed at how cheap they are for the size and interior look. What I am worried about is quality. I haven't read a single negative thing about Escape Trailers. Where-as I've read some questioning discussions on these KZ ones.
I think that says it all.

Molded fiberglass trailers are constructed like boats; or even airplanes and are practically seamless. The structural integrity is all in the fiberglass body which stands on it's own without studs nor rafters. Interiors are like upholstery. They are vehicles that you inhabit.

Conventional trailers are constructed like buildings. Joists, studs, rafters, interior skins panels, exterior skin panels, seams, seams, and more seams. They are houses that you drag down the road.

My Fiber Stream is 33 years old and is still worth what it cost when new. Show me a conventional trailer that performs like that.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I think that says it all.

Molded fiberglass trailers are constructed like boats; or even airplanes and are practically seamless. The structural integrity is all in the fiberglass body which stands on it's own without studs nor rafters. Interiors are like upholstery. They are vehicles that you inhabit.

Conventional trailers are constructed like buildings. Joists, studs, rafters, interior skins panels, exterior skin panels, seams, seams, and more seams. They are houses that you drag down the road.

My Fiber Stream is 33 years old and is still worth what it cost when new. Show me a conventional trailer that performs like that.
Thanks for the reply. I definitely understand what you're saying. I do look at the KZ and it looks like a house inside. Honestly, I've been a tent camper my entire life. I have never slept a single night in an RV. I'm over tent camping. I'm not over camping though. I still want the camp fire, and when it is raining or it is time to sleep, I don't want it to seem like I'm walking back into my house. I think I like the Escape Trailer because it's nice, but it still has a rustic quality to it.

What I think would be a lot of fun is to buy an older one, that requires a complete interior redo, or is even just a shell and do it all myself. I love working with wood and doing an entire interior seems like a lot of fun.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
What I think would be a lot of fun is to buy an older one, that requires a complete interior redo, or is even just a shell and do it all myself. I love working with wood and doing an entire interior seems like a lot of fun.
That is how I acquired my 1st fiberglass trailer. Many trailers I see on Craigslist and Ebay are half-started projects that the sellers lost interest in once they got their jollies ripping them apart. While you won't find a "old" Escape (The company started in 2006 I think.) they are based on the "Trillium" body.

Rebuilding one for yourself will teach you LOTS about trailers.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post

Rebuilding one for yourself will teach you LOTS about trailers.
Definitely, and that's half the fun! Plus, it gives me an excuse to acquire more tools .

Trillium is actually the brand I would prefer to do a rebuild on. The most convenient part about doing it myself is getting the exact layout I want. Right now there's 3 of us. Me, my wife, and our 6 month old. Of course my 6 month old will be 2 1/2 when we get a trailer. Obviously something that only sleeps 2 isn't a possibility. I would probably build a dinette that converts to a queen or large double bed and a couch that converts to bunks. I don't really see a bathroom being a necessity for us. We will probably be spending most of our camping days at campgrounds with facilities.

It is hard to seeing an old Trillium for sale and not being able to buy, especially when they're under 5k. I suppose those same deals will be around when it's my time to buy.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Fredrick L Simson... Escape started in 2001 from a trailer rental business that Reace also started. Renters kept asking about his trailers not having certain "Mods." which got him thinking!!! The rest as they say is history. You can read their story at Escape Trailer Industries > Home
The reason I've lost interest in my Boler project is "our Escape Hatch" is just to darn enjoyable!!!
Thanks for all your trailer scale postings too!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hey guys/gals!

I don't own a trailer yet, and I wouldn't consider myself in the market for one just yet either. I'm still two years out from getting one because I live in Hawaii and I'm really not sure where I'll end up next. Getting a trailer is dependent on where I end up. I'm hoping for Washington state or Alaska.

I do have some questions though. I love the 17' Escape, but my wife doesn't. She doesn't like the 'egg' look of these trailers. So that would throw out the Escape, Scamp, Casita, Trillium etc. Ultimately, I'll make the decision and she'd be willing to live with it. The only problem with the Escape is its price tag.

A trailer with an AMAZING price is the KZ Spree-Escape. I amazed at how cheap they are for the size and interior look. What I am worried about is quality. I haven't read a single negative thing about Escape Trailers. Where-as I've read some questioning discussions on these KZ ones. What do you guys think? I can get the KZ E19BH for about 13-14k, and the Escape 21k without options added!

Oh, why am I asking questions 2 years ahead of time? I like goals, and I need a focus to save money up or else I spend it

Thanks,
Alex
Alex, I'm like you, probably about 2 years away from making the purchase due to some travel commitments between now and then. But a couple of thoughts on FG trailers. For the size the weight is much less than a stick-built. I looked at an R-Pod and ruled it out for that reason. Certainly a consideration if you want to use a smaller vehicle for towing.
Second, I compared the features of the FG Escape from Chilliwack vs the FG Trillium made in Alberta and at first blush the Alberta trailer looks less expensive, but then look at the options. Escape has a huge list of standard features that are costly options on other trailers, so maybe the price would even out in the end.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Phil
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #8

Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Alex, I'm like you, probably about 2 years away from making the purchase due to some travel commitments between now and then. But a couple of thoughts on FG trailers. For the size the weight is much less than a stick-built. I looked at an R-Pod and ruled it out for that reason. Certainly a consideration if you want to use a smaller vehicle for towing.
Second, I compared the features of the FG Escape from Chilliwack vs the FG Trillium made in Alberta and at first blush the Alberta trailer looks less expensive, but then look at the options. Escape has a huge list of standard features that are costly options on other trailers, so maybe the price would even out in the end.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Phil
Fortunately weight isn't really too much of a factor for me. I have a 2011 XTerra that can tow up to 5,000 pounds. Honestly, I like the look and simplicity of a FG trailer. Also, I know that I don't want to be pulling a 20+ foot trailer. I don't want to deal with that, I think it looks funny and I think it's overkill unless maybe you're the Brady bunch.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm still having fun tent camping, my folks are in their 70's and still tent camping too. Like you, some day I will grab a little trailer. The resale is very good on molded fiberglass, I think the deals will still be there when you are ready. It's like a cult following. But the non molded, like the KZ Spree-Escape I don't know about re-sale. I think we have a member here who has one of those if you are interesting in asking them any questions. I think he has been pretty happy with it and the price point is about 10 grand. We can hunt him down here if you are interested. I saw one at an RV show and liked them for the price point they are asking. There is also a member here who is a pro at renovation. He has done two projects. Cut fiberglass trailers in half and made them bigger and built the interior how he wanted. I can't find the thread right now, but man, it's impressive!
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
There is also a member here who is a pro at renovation. He has done two projects. Cut fiberglass trailers in half and made them bigger and built the interior how he wanted. I can't find the thread right now, but man, it's impressive!
These?

Stretched Surfside

Stretching my 1988 17 ft Bigfoot
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #11

Hawaii
I actually posted a question in the second link you posted. That is quite a feat, and his work is very nice.

I'll be following it